Sign in to follow this  
verdantsf

Good Pathfinder animal companion choices with stats?

I'm interested in playing a Pathfinder, but I wish there was a list of possible animal companion choices with stats, including silhouette. Is there perhaps a player-created resource with good companion options? I tried searching in google, but naturally the results have been dominated by animal companion entries for the Pathfinder game system. 

Your best shot right now for smaller animals is anything in the current books, but you'll need to wait for the Age of Rebellion Stay on Target supplement if you're looking for a good number of ride-able animals.

Stats themselves for current animals are already there obviously, but you'll just have to gauge everything for yourself for silhouette using the example chart on page 154 in FaD (or near the Improvised Weapon section in the other books). Most anything in the range of half the size of a human or smaller is sil. 0, things from human-sized to a Wookie is sil. 1, and most other animals between that and a Rancor are sil. 2 (this is also where most riding animals are).

The classic example is the Baby Rancor. At sillouette 1, it has about 7 wounds, at sillouette 2 it has 15, and sillouette 3 it isnt a baby anymore.

I hadn't expected you could apply the "Juvenile Creatures" sidebar multiple times.  I'm not sure it works this way.

On topic: I found the books rather lacking in animals.  The previous core books have a few things, none of which seem reasonable for the Pathfinder.  Dianoga, mynock, and gundark, IIRC.  I suppose the Gundark might be work in a pinch.

In FAD it seems that the Mature Tusk Cat is the expected pet.  I note that it specifies "Mature", which is an oddity unless you're trying to point out that it could have a "Juvenile" version, another notice from the Department of Redundancy Department.

The Jubba bird could work and be an interesting bond-animal.

I don't expect many GMs would allow Stalking Acklay, Kaaten, Vornskr or Ysalimir as bond-animals, and players probably wouldn't want a minion bond-animal, so Jakobeast and Kouhun are out.

Also, I was surprised that neither the Explorer nor Colonist books had any creatures in them at all.  Surprised and disappointed, and that was before I knew about FAD.

Edited by Scalding

After thumbing through my copy of "Path of the Jedi", I think the Beta could use a stat block for the Akk dog. In that book they were described as being cowed and trained by Force users. This would be a pretty fun Knight-level standard for a Pathfinder.

I really think the Pathfinder should be the first to get a supplement or the original book could come with some creatures just for the sake of making it easier for us players  :D

Just my 2 cents, but I think characters should aim a little higher. There are some examples in the EU (Legends content) where Jedi and Sith get some nice bonded animals, such as when Darth Nihl tames a Tukata (would be nice to get a write up for it) or when the Twi'Lek from Tales of the Jedi uses Beast Language to tame some Onderon beasts...

Although I think the creatures can be improvised, I wished FFG would ellaborate as to how to actually tame these creatures prior to establishing  a Bond. such as when using Animal Empathy. Do you use Survival? If so, what is the difficulty? Should it be opposed by the animal's Discipline (Will)? :unsure:

The classic example is the Baby Rancor. At sillouette 1, it has about 7 wounds, at sillouette 2 it has 15, and sillouette 3 it isnt a baby anymore.

I hadn't expected you could apply the "Juvenile Creatures" sidebar multiple times.  I'm not sure it works this way.

On topic: I found the books rather lacking in animals.  The previous core books have a few things, none of which seem reasonable for the Pathfinder.  Dianoga, mynock, and gundark, IIRC.  I suppose the Gundark might be work in a pinch.

In FAD it seems that the Mature Tusk Cat is the expected pet.  I note that it specifies "Mature", which is an oddity unless you're trying to point out that it could have a "Juvenile" version, another notice from the Department of Redundancy Department.

I don't expect many GMs would allow Stalking Acklay, Kaaten, Vornskr or Ysalimir as bond-animals, and players probably wouldn't want a minion bond-animal, so Jakobeast and Kouhun are out.

Also, I was surprised that neither the Explorer nor Colonist books had any creatures in them at all.  Surprised and disappointed, and that was before I knew about FAD.

Why don't you think they'd allow Vornskr? Because they're so combat-proficient? There's at least one prominent (non-Force-using) character in the EU who has a pair of pet vornskrs, so there's some precedent. And he has another prominent Force-user  hanging around a lot who gets along with them.

I'm interested in playing a Pathfinder, but I wish there was a list of possible animal companion choices with stats, including silhouette. Is there perhaps a player-created resource with good companion options? I tried searching in google, but naturally the results have been dominated by animal companion entries for the Pathfinder game system. 

The page at http://swrpg.viluppo.net/adversaries/creatures/ doesn’t include Silhouette, but it should have most of the rest of the information you want.

I think we’re missing some creatures, however.

Why don't you think they'd allow Vornskr? Because they're so combat-proficient? There's at least one prominent (non-Force-using) character in the EU who has a pair of pet vornskrs, so there's some precedent. And he has another prominent Force-user  hanging around a lot who gets along with them.

Because Vornskrs will attack Force users on sight?  They are predators who prey on Force sensitives!  How many times did his pets attack his prominent Force user?  Quite a lot, until they were being taken elsewhere whenever he was around.  He certainly never "got along with them", AFAIK.  Of course, it's the EU, so there could be any number of follow-on books or comics that I've never seen.

Edited by Scalding

The page at http://swrpg.viluppo.net/adversaries/creatures/ doesn’t include Silhouette, but it should have most of the rest of the information you want.

I thought we were looking for official sources, given this is FFG's board and all.

I thought we were looking for official sources, given this is FFG's board and all.

It's an index of officially published stats for weapons, gear, enemies, etc.

Edited by Lathrop

Because Vornskrs will attack Force users on sight?  They are predators who prey on Force sensitives!  How many times did his pets attack his prominent Force user?  Quite a lot, until they were being taken elsewhere whenever he was around.  He certainly never "got along with them", AFAIK.  Of course, it's the EU, so there could be any number of follow-on books or comics that I've never seen.

The prominent Force user I was referring to was Mara Jade, and I don't recall them ever attacking her.

They can be trained.

Yeah, Talon Karrde had a couple of trained vornskrs, but they also had their tails removed, which Talon even notes made those two specimens docile enough to be trained.

And Mara's own Force-sensitivity had waned enough by the time Heir to the Empire began that she probably didn't even register as being Force-sensitive to those two, though in a later part of the trilogy (when her Force abilities had started to return), they did notice and they didn't like her as much as they'd used to, even growling and taking up threatening stances in regards to Mara at one point, which largely clued Talon in that Mara was indeed hiding some juicy secrets, given the last person they reacted like that to was Luke Skywalker.

Yeah, Talon Karrde had a couple of trained vornskrs, but they also had their tails removed, which Talon even notes made those two specimens docile enough to be trained.

And Mara's own Force-sensitivity had waned enough by the time Heir to the Empire began that she probably didn't even register as being Force-sensitive to those two, though in a later part of the trilogy (when her Force abilities had started to return), they did notice and they didn't like her as much as they'd used to, even growling and taking up threatening stances in regards to Mara at one point, which largely clued Talon in that Mara was indeed hiding some juicy secrets, given the last person they reacted like that to was Luke Skywalker.

I'd forgotten that part...I've read a lot of Star Wars books in the last year (76), so some things got muddled.

You could always make up your own animal? Most of the creatures in the books are EU anyway. Pick the type of animal you want and "Star wars" it. If it was a fantasy game a common choice is a wolf, fine make a Ondorian Wolf! It could look like a plain old wolf or it could look like the thing that Ridick has in the second Ridick movie. Steal off other movies or design your own, the star wars galaxy is a huge place anythings possible, have fun!