Sign in to follow this  
morsla

Scum repaint: Sabine's Firespray-31 (repost)

I'm re-posting this thread as the original was nuked by the moderators. If you'd like to drag the thread off topic to attack other forum members, complain about Rebels or turn this into an argument about gender issues, please do everyone a favour and don't post here...

This is my second full repaint for X-Wing, motivated by someone asking "how would Sabine paint her Firespray" in another thread. I had some ideas that I wanted to try out, and decided to give it a shot.

Here's an early WIP photo: base colours and a bit of highlighting are in place, plus some sponged-on weathering that (in hindsight) I probably should have left until much later in the process ;)

2014-09-06163226_zpsb7c0824d.jpg

I've since added some more detail: mostly working on the highlights, adding them to the edge of most of the hull surfaces.

2014-09-09145427_zps4130ee9c.jpg

Still to come is another layer of weathering, adding more recent scratches and chips with some silver paint. I might do something different with the two repulsorlift wings, but haven't decided on that yet - they already have a bit more contrast added between the first and second images.

Edited by morsla

I paint using acrylic model paints - mostly using Privateer's P3 range, and a few Vallejo Model Colour ones as well. The Firespray hasn't been stripped or oversprayed... just a few thin layers applied with a brush. I haven't encountered an X-wing model that I'd want to strip paint off, yet. The Firespray is probably the largest thing I'd try brush painting on, though - if I pick up a YT-1300 or shuttle, I'll get out the airbrush to basecoat those.

Since starting the other thread, I've gradually added some more definition to the detailing. It's fairly obvious looking at the horned skull on the front, but the two "shoulder" pieces also have some sharper highlights added:

2014-09-09145512_zps52aeba67.jpg

The chequered pattern was sketched out on the white basecoat using a pencil, then I painted the grid in black, and blocked in the squares. That's the stage it was at in the first photo - this one is after neatening up the white squares a bit, putting some more soot onto the model (very light drybrush of black paint), and bringing the edges of all the black sections up to a mix of P3's Coal Black, Menoth White Highlight, and a drop of Thamar Black to help it fit with the base colours.

Thanks Eltnot! I thought about putting the phoenix logo on, but decided against it as there isn't really any way to fly it as a rebel ship ;)

A few people suggested more graffiti in the last thread, and I tried fitting some red in there (I like the image with her putting strike-through circles around stormtrooper helmets), but couldn't get the colour balance right. I figure that quick tagging is something she would do to mark captured gear, and she'd take more time working on her own ship.

One more closeup of the progress so far - these photos are a bit harsh on the highlights, but they're a good way of spotting things to fix up next time I get to work on it.

2014-09-09145526_zps84ffc821.jpg

I tried using a Pigma micron pen to outline the dog/wolf symbol, but I think my pen has started running out of ink - I've had it for about 8 years... It lasted long enough to do a very rough outline at the top, and then I ended up just using a brush to do the rest.

This is great, I was thinking the same thing about the skull and the phoenix, maybe some Sabine style artistic flair to combine the two? Curious does Sabine have her own ship in the show? Don't know much about her but I imagine it would be her ship of choice if she could get her hands on one. Really looking forward to the show.

Awesome job morsia keep up the good work.

^^ Good stuff.

My two favorite portions of this scheme are the checkered pattern and the anooba head... I ended up doing some research and after digging around found out some interesting things about Sabine.

Also, this has made it way to tumbler posted by someone RPing Sabine online, apparently this someone is either the actress voicing Sabine or someone VERY close to the studio. interesting character.

First the anooba head is actually a picture honoring the bounty hunter Embo's pet/companion Marrok.

400px-Marrok-Revenge.png

Trying to dig in more as to why or how she knows Embo.

400px-EmboHS-TB.png

Second it is revealed to me that Sabine is the daughter of  someone from the Republic that fought in the Clone Wars ( guessing Commander Wolf do to all the art) and a medic from Death Watch( as a part of House Wren)

Awesome info - thanks LordCole :) I don't think I've seen any of the episodes with Embo in them - I've only scratched the surface as far as Clone Wars is concerned.

That Tumblr is great. I'll have to send her some new pictures when it's finished... those ones are already a bit out of date.

X Wing Nut - not currently doing any commission painting, but I might start up again in the new year - I've been tinkering with this one on my lunch breaks so far, and haven't really got a sense of how long it takes to properly finish an X-Wing ship.

Yet again, really nice paint job, the colours work great.

The only build I would give, due to it being finished to a great standard is the "dog(?)" motif to the right (as I look at it) of the cockpit. I would consider redoing it (if it was mine) as it appears the top of the mouth is opening upwards (Mr Punches crocodile style) instead of the lower jaw um......lowering.

Not a criticism, the paint jobs brilliant, just something that would wind me up if it was mine.

Possibly the reason I avoid freehand work, ever since the Cygnar golden swan banner incident ;-)

Good feedback, thanks slim chaney. I might try defining the jaw bone a bit more, to see if that helps - that would be less drastic than doing all of it again. I feel like I need to know more about this Cygnus incident, though ;)

GreyHart - go for it! Take photos and show us all how it turns out.

Love it!

Would love to see a big fat phoenix logo on it.

The highlights and the checkers are most impressive, keep up the good work!

p.s. Can't wait for Rebels.

I think you're doing a great job on this one. It seems to capture the idea of the chaeacter of Sabine.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Edited by oneway