Sign in to follow this  
Daisu

Anyone else trying the new Focus feature ahead of release?

After reading the new focus feature of the next expansion, I have been using it in the last few games.  It gives people stuck in sea and wilderness something additional to just resting.  We are still waiting on specific rules about it, it has not really impacted the game but when I think of eldritch horror I would think it would be only for specific roll you are focusing on or a lose it after a turn instead of a free for all .

Just wondering about others opinions on this game change and if they are trying a version of it in their game?

We also have an Ironman rule, we play each Ancient one one after another, if an investigator is killed/insane we cannot use them in other games, gets people to play other characters and usually quite gameplay decisions when they have to adapt to them.  I prefer influence characters, the GF enjoys Lore-based characters, at the end we go down to marc, silas and leo :P

Edited by Daisu

FFG does not go into details besides the spending an action for a focus token, and using this token to reroll in a test in place of a clue.

I would believe you can only have one focus token at a time.

I have been trying in games having to use it by next turn and some games allow it keep.  I am hoping to hear comments from others if it should be kept or not kept ect..  When official rules for it is released we would then see what it will be.

In games I have not seen us using this feature more then three times in a match.  Though we do enjoy the new feature.  Having a new action to use when trapped on a sea or wilderness space is helpful.  Since it appears the new map will be such spaces, you'll likely be focusing more on that map.

My next test is trying the new investigators abilities out to see how they impact the game.

Also surprised no one commented that you have to solve four mysteries in rise of the elder things rather then the usual three.  Perhaps Elder thing mysteries are easier?

Edited by Daisu

well, of course, lots of components are technically optional or house rule bendable. let me rephrase then, I dislike the idea of making the game "easier", which is what I feel the focus does. turn 1, every player focuses, then rolls for assets with a free reroll. just one repetitive scenario I can imagine. I mean, it isn't groundbreaking, it feels like a cheat code mode in a video game where the difficulty is cranked to 11. Of course it's optional, I'm just wondering why it was necessary. Maybe, once I give it a try, I'll feel differently.

Wait till he sees Wilson Richards, who gets 1 asset of value of 1 free and then additional action.  Those on his space rolls 2 when spending a focus.  He and Charlie could really clean up those assets together.

I think the reason they added the Focus mechanic was because the non-hardcore gamers that play games like EH and AH, were complaining that the game is too unforgiving and needed to change to be playable. I am in a serious minority, having won every game that my group has played where we are in the 20's for games. We knew how to play through Arkham, and just transferred that knowledge to EH with a few modifications. I personally like the focus ability because it forces you to spend an action that you are already lacking enough of to gain a single reroll. When you are in a wilderness or sea space your options really are limited to Rest, Travel, or Spells, nothing else. If you are already fully healed, or don't have spells, or are trying to get that clue token or solve that rumor it would be a serious waste of a turn to just sit and do nothing. Also adding investigators with abilities that rely on that mechanic make them integral when playing those rules. From everything I have been able to figure out, the Focus tokens do not, and will not count as Clues for things like solving mysteries or rumors. I like the combo that you can use with Trisha and turn 1 gain a clue token and a free reroll with the focus. IIRC her passive lets her reroll 2 dice with a clue token, so that means she can reroll 3 dice in one encounter. That to me is phenomenal and makes an already great character all the better.

Also surprised no one commented that you have to solve four mysteries in rise of the elder things rather then the usual three.  Perhaps Elder thing mysteries are easier?

I find this exciting. Since the win and loss conditions are written on the AO it gives them a lot of flexibility. They could throw out mysteries entirely and have the win condition be, say, "when the doom track reaches 18 you win the game" and make a lose condition and research encounters that support that. Print off a small deck and an AO sheet and completely change the goal of the game? Awesome-sauce. Just upping the mystery count to 4 is dipping their toes in the water.

Speaking of which why don't we have more fan created content for this game?

Hi Guys

On my UK version of Wilson Richards, it says ...

Action: Gain 1 Asset of your choice with the value 1 from the Reserve; or discard 1 card from the Reserve and perform 1 additional Action"

... so I've interpreted this to mean he doesn't get an additional action if he takes the Asset?  He only gets the additional Action if he just discards a card from the Reserve?

My English isn't so good! :(

Thanks, Walts

Edited by Vala_Melkor

I believe you are correct.  He can either take a 1 cost card from the reserve and end that action or discard a 1 cost card from the reserve and then take an additional action.