Sign in to follow this  
Starscream87

Best ways to take down a Tie-swarm?

It's not that I haven't managed to do it, im just looking for the most efficient way to do it without making your whole squad an "anti tie-swarm" -squad.

Assault missiles are nice, but take up many points.. 

Waiting for the "Ruthlesness" -upgrade :D

share your best ideas here

The best way is builda dodger squad. Swarms can beat swarms but it's often an uphill battle. Falcons with Engine Upgrade can do it, too. Swarms want to joust. You typically don't want to joust with a swarm. And TIE swarms can even be decent against a flanking strategy because of that 1-turn. Interceptors and phantoms love swarms because they can make movement decisions more contextually.

An OMG shuttle with advanced sensors, maybe pursuit lasers, Soontir Fell, and One of the named phantons.

The goal is to block with the shuttle and get 2-3 turns of use out of it. (I know the math says it dies in 2 but lets be optimistic)

Soontir and the phantom come in on different angles and hammer ties flat. I find this more successful than 3 dodgy ships because at least this way you have a way to pin down the "joust formation" and make him pay.

Rebels... Best way to counter the swarm is probably Whatever you normally run in the 75 points after putting in Biggs. I am fond of Airen Cracken with cluster missiles for double action hand out, another xwing and something like a Bwing. The goal is to trade biggs for 2+ ties and then slaughter them once the joust breaks up.

If it is a swarm that relies on synergy, like a howl swarm, nothing works better than an assualt missle.  I have had good sucess running a firespray right through the middle of a swarm then dropping a bomb as I pass.  It can withstand the joust for 1 turn.  you can even put the assualt missle and the bomb on the firespray, but i prefer to split them up.  I have found a firespray down the middle with a buzzsaw shuttle flanking to be good, as well as a firespray with bombers.  swarms can become their own worst enemy in the middle of an asteroid field when you drop a prox mine in front of them.  even if they all avoid it, they collide with eachother, lose actions, hit rocks, etc.  Then, you expolit the chaos.

How about Oicunn + Ruthlessness + APL + Stay On Target? Seems like those TIEs will all be taking some damage just to move and when Oicunn attacks, someone else will feel the pain too.

That being said, you better have a more dangerous target else the TIE swarm will take Oicunn down quickly.

If you don't want to take Assault missiles, then an alternate method is high attack values.  You want something that can reliably push damage past those three evade dice, so Heavy Laser Cannons, Missiles and Torpedoes with four or more attack dice and bombs are all good choices.  And lastly the Phantom because of the high evade/attack values make it resilient as well as reliable.