Sign in to follow this  
patox

Totally-ON TOPIC: That new "Rebels" TV series is looking so AWESOME it stokes me to think we'll be getting ships from it

I came to this forum to post a link to this review: http://goo.gl/ONHI4h, which is mostly just "yay".

It's weird how much hate Clone Wars gets. To me, it's an amazing return to what Star Wars ought always be: real people in a weird universe, one with laser swords and a Manichean moral tendancy.

If Rebels is more of that, I'm in.

I love how there is a thread on the front page specifically designated to hate this show, and yet people still want to post in here just to nitpick and argue.   :rolleyes:

I love how we had a hate thread and people went in there to make positive comments even though that wasn't the point :D

1) That thread was around long before this one.  Now it's just rude.

2) 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I'm glad the OP started this one, because I really don't want to talk about liking Rebels in a place where people won't welcome that opinion, like a bar in the North during the Civil War. ;)

I'm really enjoying every promo I get. They have a similar feel to the humor and banter seen in A New Hope, which I don't think is a bad thing. Han and Luke bickering during the detention block shootout felt just like the way Chopper and Kanan talked to each other in the TIE Fighter battle.

The action feels a lot like a blend of the OT and TCW, which is a little off-putting. I really hope they will give the puppets more weight, because they're not quite right yet. I know they're in a tight spot with television filming, but I think it's not too much to ask that they make the characters' actions more ponderous.

On the other hand, the Stormtroopers in Rebels have never been more true to the way they felt in A New Hope. I loved that they're just as competent as they were in the OT, which is what one would expect from fanatically loyal troopers. Fanatics have never been particularly bright people. ;) Seriously, having read some interesting stuff written by former skinheads, and since Stormtroopers are basically skinheads who have been armed, armored, and organized, I'd expect them to be just as competent as they are in the movies and in Rebels.

I really like the use of classic trilogy musical cues, too. Something I missed from all those years of prequel action in the PT and TCW was the lack of things like the Imperial March and the Rebel Fanfare (though there were obviously hints of the former and a wonderfully bombastic version of it in the end of AotC. Man, that is one scene I will ALWAYS love, regardless of how I feel about the PT). It has been a little heavy-handed with the direct musical references so far, but I think once the series is running it will be more toned down and develop its own personality.

Yeah, I find this series from what I've seen to be loathsome. I hope the kids like it however. I will say I'll revisit my opinion if the show actually goes into acting a bit darker, or even just less silly, but the style I think will end up being over the top goofy. With how amazing all the Rebels are and how incompetent the empire seems in every way I don't see why they would have ever needed luke, just a handful of them would have been able to board the death star and kill all on board, easy peesey.

I double wishing to see a gungan genocide.

It contained jar jar every episode as a result is tainted.

Why can't there be an unlike button.

The show looks great. It looks like the start might be rocky but I imagine it'll REALLY pick up after lothal's surface is left.

The show looks great. It looks like the start might be rocky but I imagine it'll REALLY pick up after lothal's surface is left.

Because then it would be unfair because I'd get all the likes and you'd get all the dislikes, then you'd go off on one again attacking me personally without any genuine cause.

Because then it would be unfair because I'd get all the likes and you'd get all the dislikes, then you'd go off on one again attacking me personally without any genuine cause.

Well that was... Presumptuous and accusatory.

Good on the OP for writing a positive post, way too much negativity and bitching on the forums lately about the world ending or some such about new releases they don't like or shows that they absolutely will not watch because it must be terrible. Lets wait and see, I like the effort put into matching the Ralph Mcquarrie artwork throughout the show and the characters all seem like archetypes from the old WEG RPG which I enjoyed the hell out of playing in the 90s.

People already on thin ice should watch their step is all, it wasn't that long ago you were posting apology threads and now your going back to your old ways.

People already on thin ice should watch their step is all, it wasn't that long ago you were posting apology threads and now your going back to your old ways.

Would you cut it out.

Would you cut it out.

Agreed. If you want to ***** at someone, do it via PMs and not on the forums.

I came to this forum to post a link to this review: http://goo.gl/ONHI4h, which is mostly just "yay".

It's weird how much hate Clone Wars gets. To me, it's an amazing return to what Star Wars ought always be: real people in a weird universe, one with laser swords and a Manichean moral tendancy.

Let me add this video to the mix:

I hate how they're back to making all of the Imps into stuck up dicks and the Rebs into cocky Mary Sue good guys.

I like the way a lot of the non-canon fan made stuff showed most Imps as just your average Joes whiling the day away like anyone else in the military.

I don't like how they follow the way Star Wars always was and wish it was something it's not too.

Why can't they make Star Wars nothing like Star Wars like I want it to be? I mean who likes Star Wars anyway?

Rebels looks like more kid-oriented garbage. And I think that's the problem. Where's the grittier, live-action show that gets rumored every couple years? THAT would be the Star Wars more of us want to see!

You mean like the six full length movies they have planned? People need to take a deep breath and calm down. Not every show or movie will be aimed directly at you. They are trying to emulate Marvel's recent success and will be making shows/movies for adults and kids. In the near future we will hopefully have enough Star Wars around that you can pick and choose what to watch, and hasn't that really been all our dreams.

Rebels looks like more kid-oriented garbage. And I think that's the problem. Where's the grittier, live-action show that gets rumored every couple years? THAT would be the Star Wars more of us want to see!

You mean like the six full length movies they have planned? People need to take a deep breath and calm down. Not every show or movie will be aimed directly at you. They are trying to emulate Marvel's recent success and will be making shows/movies for adults and kids. In the near future we will hopefully have enough Star Wars around that you can pick and choose what to watch, and hasn't that really been all our dreams.

Which won't be hard for them to emulate.

Considering they own Marvel.

And have done VERY WELL (so far) with the Marvel franchise....$300 mil with Guardians of the Galaxy and it's the #1 movie in America for the 4th week in a row shows this. This is why I have no reservations with Disney being in charge of the Star Wars franchise. I do believe it's in good hands.

Edited by zathras23

My complaints are all related to how the storm troopers are depicted. Other than that I am not opposed to a new SW show. 

For all of you guys claiming this is a kid show so people shouldn't judge it harshly... the creators seem to think this will be an "everybody" show and even if it were a kiddie show why shouldn't poor work be pointed out?

Edited by Martel

And have done VERY WELL (so far) with the Marvel franchise....$300 mil with Guardians of the Galaxy and it's the #1 movie in America for the 4th week in a row shows this. This is why I have no reservations with Disney being in charge of the Star Wars franchise. I do believe it's in good hands.

And that is precisely why I believe it'll be A-Okay!

Why the hell are you complaining about the Imperials looking bad!? They. Are. The. Bad. Guys. And. They. Are. Bad. At. It. Face it! They crash into trees, can't hit worth a **** consistently no matter what weapon they're firing unless they are trying to hit something between the size of a barn-size shield generator or an Alderan size planet. They get beaten by primitive stone age little people. For frick sake they have trouble running through open doorways! Thanks Clerks! You 'effed up Star Wars with your little thought experiment. Ironically the director of clerks recently said he liked the prequels and thank the Force for him.

A'hyuk! Hey guys, let's be fans of the evil empire of space Nazis that blew up entire planets, committed genocide, conquered free independent states, and controlled the populace with fear! *backhand slap* If your so much a fan of the bad guys in movies go watch Twilight and be a fanboy for the vampires. 

...Wow I feel better. Good talk son, good talk.

After binging on every episode of the Clone Wars and hearing the video updates from the showrunner of both Clone Wars and Rebels, Dave Filoni, this show is going to be a Bantha-truckload of fun.

It's time to wash away the horrible-ness of the prequels and bring back the swashbuckling, kick-azzing of the original trilogy.

The show is going to be great. The ships are going to be cool. And we've already been told we're going to get a ship or more from the miniatures game.

Here's to a great run for Sabine, Chopper, Ezra, Kana, Hera and Zeb.

DAT!!!

:D

Let me add this video to the mix:

Wow a sane young man speaking with intelligence, heart and reasonable insight.

:lol:

I like that.

:)

Great video!

^_^