Sign in to follow this  
SableGryphon

What's the Fastest Ship? X-Wing Drag Race

Right now there are only 2 ships that have green 5 movements. A-wing and Tie Defender, however the A-wing has the boost without an upgrade. Tie Defender has barrel roll.

I liked how you showed some way to squeeze inches with corners using banks and barrel rolls.

A note on the Tie Phantom if you look at the cloaking design it was designed to keep the same speed as a Tie Fighter. While the Tie Fighter can go 5 for 2 turns the Tie Phantom can only go 4 then cloak, its decloak can give it a free 2 straight then it goes another 4 which will help it keep up with the Tie Fighter. However on the 3rd turn it will pass the Tie Fighter. It is important to know that Tie Phantoms don't start cloaked.

Edited by Marinealver

I once used the Phantom's maximum movement in a race to cross the finish line. It was a lot of fun. 

Would be a little interesting to have say a "Death Race" free for all scenario where the goal is to make 10 laps around an asteroid field but you can still shoot say those that are in front of you.

I've kinda done this, the objective was to go down the Area and come back to the start line.. no holds barred.. noone strated the trip back but one ship the other 2 survivors hung back and killed it.. it was a hoot for a game night, kind of a fur ball for large ships. I have 3 of each so far, and just got a Decimator, so next game might be more fun.. lol.. 

oh yeah.. we started with 6 ships in the race, 3 made it to the other side, only 1 started back.. the last 2 didn't care about the race anymore.. 

I once used the Phantom's maximum movement in a race to cross the finish line. It was a lot of fun. 

Would be a little interesting to have say a "Death Race" free for all scenario where the goal is to make 10 laps around an asteroid field but you can still shoot say those that are in front of you.

I've kinda done this, the objective was to go down the Area and come back to the start line.. no holds barred.. noone strated the trip back but one ship the other 2 survivors hung back and killed it.. it was a hoot for a game night, kind of a fur ball for large ships. I have 3 of each so far, and just got a Decimator, so next game might be more fun.. lol.. 

oh yeah.. we started with 6 ships in the race, 3 made it to the other side, only 1 started back.. the last 2 didn't care about the race anymore.. 

Now some one needs to convert this to an upgrade card for this specific scenario. Should it be Missile, Torpedo or Cannon?

BlueShell.jpg

Edited by Marinealver

I am curious. It is probably too situational to include but could you use Turr Phennir with ptl to boost, barrel roll and then boost as a free action after taking a shot?

No, because he cannot perform the same action twice in one turn. So no double boosting.

Silly me, of course. In that case would (boost) (Daredevil) (post firing free action barrel roll) work with Turr when equipped with experimental interface?

Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. The answer is that he ends up traveling roughly as far as Dash and Whisper do.

Is that Vassal you use to do that? I'm afraid of Vassal, but is using it as a maneuvering aid difficult?

Yes, I used Vassal. I haven't used it to play a game, only to setup pictures like this. Not too difficult for that purpose.

now do one with which ships can move the shorted distance....  or even backwards... as a counter to the fast ships... also how does the speed compare with the HUGE ships  CR-90 etc...  

I've been pondering this too. I might just examine it.

You might get a bit more distance on Echo if you add Adv.Sens and perform your movement sequence as Decloak-BR-Boost-4 forward, with the boost direction opposite the decloak.

I might. I'll have to see.

I realize the X-Wing was the "control", but if we're looking at non-optimized upgrades and simply going for speed, what about Porkins, moving 4-forward, activating R7-T1 for Boost, activating Experimental Interface to trigger Expert Handling for Roll?

Besides... it's Porkins. Sure it would end up as a double stress combination, but he can hold it.

This makes me sad. Not because of the post (which is awesome), but because it messes with my immersion. Ships that are faster than (by a fairly considerable margin) interceptors and a-wings. It just confuses me canonically.

The TIE phantom cheated. It used its cloak to appear three base units further back than it was. As for the Outrider... I guess it's because it's the Outrider.

Edited by Lagomorphia

I don't see a Defender in there anywhere..  The Empire is sorely misrepresented here.  Rex + EU + PtL should give him a 5 forward (green), a boost and barrel roll..  I don't imagine he comes out any more ahead than Soontir or Tycho, but he looks like a boss doing so!

What if you try starting echo on an angle, then decloak using the bank, then go 4 forward, then PTL and boost and Roll.  If you try that, I'm pretty sure he goes the farthest, by a quarter of a base.

I suggested that one the previous page.  I too fail to see why you'd only use the 3 bank when you could use the 4 straight.  The suggestion to add Advanced Sensors to boost and roll before decloaking could even help straighten the whole thing out although Echo will get more distance when you also consider the diagonal.

Also, I always thought that it was odd that the Falcon had a 4 straight. In the West End Games RPG (yeah I'm getting old, I know) it had the same speed as an X-wing, but the 4 straight means that it is as fast as a TIE fighter. Add an engine upgrade and it's faster than an A-wing or an Interceptor.

"She's the fastest ship in the fleet," according to Han Solo in Return of the Jedi. (Incidentally, there's also a matte painting just before this scene that shows A-Wings and Y-Wings in close proximity, and it appears that those two models are correctly scaled, contrary to those who have claimed the A-Wing model is too large. Derailment ahead.)

10 laps would take a very long time to play, but here are some X-Wing racing rules you might be interested in:

http://www.outworld-studio.com/xwing/pdf/Vidla-Crucible.pdf

Jake Farrell with A-wing test Pilot, PTL and Daredevil in a squad with a focus passer (Garven, Kyle) could move, Focus to Barrel Roll, then have another Focus passed to him to trigger Boost, and then use PTL to Daredevil. It's not all at once, but it's in one round.

I don't see a Defender in there anywhere..  The Empire is sorely misrepresented here.  Rex + EU + PtL should give him a 5 forward (green), a boost and barrel roll..  I don't imagine he comes out any more ahead than Soontir or Tycho, but he looks like a boss doing so!

Yeah, he ends up in the same place. Didn't want to just do the same thing several times, so any small ship that can 5 hard, then boost and barrel roll is represented by the Interceptor.

What if you try starting echo on an angle, then decloak using the bank, then go 4 forward, then PTL and boost and Roll.  If you try that, I'm pretty sure he goes the farthest, by a quarter of a base.

I suggested that one the previous page.  I too fail to see why you'd only use the 3 bank when you could use the 4 straight.  The suggestion to add Advanced Sensors to boost and roll before decloaking could even help straighten the whole thing out although Echo will get more distance when you also consider the diagonal.

... because I didn't think of it because I was tired...

Jake Farrell with A-wing test Pilot, PTL and Daredevil in a squad with a focus passer (Garven, Kyle) could move, Focus to Barrel Roll, then have another Focus passed to him to trigger Boost, and then use PTL to Daredevil. It's not all at once, but it's in one round.

I was trying not to add external actions. I did think about it, but it was beyond the scope of this.

How about giving Dash Daredevil, Leebo and EI? Wouldn't that put him a bit further?

Never mind, stress would get in the way I think.

You are also short an action because you don't have PTL. It's really hard getting three movement actions a turn. :)

How about giving Dash Daredevil, Leebo and EI? Wouldn't that put him a bit further?

Never mind, stress would get in the way I think.

You are also short an action because you don't have PTL. It's really hard getting three movement actions a turn. :)

That's what the Experimental Upgrade is for. ;).

Move, boost, Daredevil.

Sure, you won't go boost, barrel roll, daredevil, but wouldn't a daredevil take you farther? I'm at work here so I'm not able to check for myself. :P.

Edited by Dagonet

Is that Vassal you use to do that? I'm afraid of Vassal, but is using it as a maneuvering aid difficult?

Vassal in very likely the BEST place to learn Xwing and get better. Controls are clunky at first (first 3 games) and then become rather intuitive.