Sign in to follow this  
SableGryphon

What's the Fastest Ship? X-Wing Drag Race

That's the opening move my flank Interceptors do every game. The A-wing though can do almost the same is very interesting. Tycho with PtL + DD is going to be fun. I like how A-wings do it by juking hard in different directions.

What if the ships were allowed to shoot each other too?

Perhaps this could be a new scenario, set up a 6x3 board, throw down 12 asteroids.

Players are allowed one ship each, (35pt limit as a suggestion) all start on one of the short edges.

Victory condition is reaching the other board edge.

Faster ships would need to use their actions for focus and evade to stay alive, slower ships could do serious damage to the early leaders.

Would be like a awesome version of wacky races.

Now, Dash Rendar moves four forward, boosts into a 1 bank, then barrel rolls. With the new barrel roll, he still manages to reach an incredible distance of just shy of 5 range bands. Wow.

Whisper, not to be outdone, shoots forward as fast as her craft can take her. However, everything she does it for naught, as she travels the same distance Dash does, and the two tie, neck and neck.

FTFY

Also, awesome post!

This is the "closing speed" but how well do the work for opening the distance?  If you've got someone on your tail how far away can you get?  All of those twists may get a corner a little further along but don't they also leave a corner back a little further?

Fast ship? You've never heard of the Millenium Falcon?

Should I have?

Its the ship that changed units of distance into a measurement of time.

(Until they retconned it that the shorter the distance meant the ship was fast because it came closer to the event horizon of a stable cluster of black holes...) 

I am curious. It is probably too situational to include but could you use Turr Phennir with ptl to boost, barrel roll and then boost as a free action after taking a shot?

No, because he cannot perform the same action twice in one turn. So no double boosting.

Silly me, of course. In that case would (boost) (Daredevil) (post firing free action barrel roll) work with Turr when equipped with experimental interface?

You could replace Soontir Fel with Darth Vader + Engine Upgrade. 

He will get to the same spot without being stressed.

Will Vader win the race for being furthest without stress?

Vader+PTL+EU+Daredevil

I'm positive that would tie both the YT-2400 and Whisper

EDIT: stupid me... PTL and Daredevil don't mix

Edited by Explosive Ewok

Is that Vassal you use to do that? I'm afraid of Vassal, but is using it as a maneuvering aid difficult?

What fear does Vassal bring out in you?

SableGryphon, I really like the ideas of measuring the distance. So by the looks of it the YT-2400 can jump you in the first round of attack. You could even set it up by having a higher pilot skill ship like Dash to plan this ambush. Hmmmm, will have to work on the Ambush list.

Now, Dash Rendar moves four forward, boosts into a 1 bank, then barrel rolls. With the new barrel roll, he still manages to reach an incredible distance of just shy of 5 range bands. Wow.

Echo, not to be outdone, shoots forward as fast as her craft can take her. However, everything she does it for naught, as she travels the same distance Dash does, and the two tie, neck and neck.

Shouldn't that be Whisper? ;)

Nice work otherwise!

Wait a second:  Why are you starting Echo square and not using the 4 forward there?  A "problem" with measuring Echo's movement is that it is not in a straight line directly in front of the starting position.  Try this with Echo:

1.  Uncloak forward bank.

2.  Maneuver 4 straight.

3.  Boost & Roll via PtL

When finished measure from corner to the same corner.

You see, people. This is what the forum is for. Shame on us for not posting of the same caliber. Praise, Sable, praise!

It does sadden me slightly as well that the Squints & Slims* don't come out faster. (A-wings* are apparently known as 'Slims' which I love as a piece of in-universe jargon but it's almost unheard of. Corran bandies it about in 'I, Jedi.')

I love this post Sable.

What if you try starting echo on an angle, then decloak using the bank, then go 4 forward, then PTL and boost and Roll.  If you try that, I'm pretty sure he goes the farthest, by a quarter of a base.

What Froggies said.

Also, I always thought that it was odd that the Falcon had a 4 straight. In the West End Games RPG (yeah I'm getting old, I know) it had the same speed as an X-wing, but the 4 straight means that it is as fast as a TIE fighter. Add an engine upgrade and it's faster than an A-wing or an Interceptor. But that's what they did, and of course, once that was done all the other large ships had to have comparable movements, and this is what you end up with. Not complaining, it's just a little odd.

I'm also curious to see what the absolute slowest ship (after trying everything you could to move it far) would be. A HWK with engine upgrade?

I love this post Sable.

What if you try starting echo on an angle, then decloak using the bank, then go 4 forward, then PTL and boost and Roll.  If you try that, I'm pretty sure he goes the farthest, by a quarter of a base.

"she" goes the farthest you mean... ;)

Jacob