Sign in to follow this  
LexMajor

That lonely Threat pip for Minions: What do YOU do with it?

This situation has happened enough times that I have to ask.

When you run a group of Minions, and you generate 1 (one) Threat symbol (without having a previous manoeuver advantage to conveniently negate), what do you do with it?

- Inflict Strain which converts into Wounds, making the Minions potentially kill themselves?

- Try to give players an advantage not already covered by the other (2+) results?

- Nothing?

I'm stumped as I find none of these options really appealing.

Sometimes in order to keep the pace moving I'll ignore simple extra results like that and just move on to the next character.

Something to consider is that a minion being "eliminated" doesn't necessarily mean they're "killed". If it might make sense, a Threat that pushes a minion above their wound threshold could mean that minion loses his nerve and flees the battlefield.

Like Iron Man 3's "These guys are so weird, I don't want to work for them anymore" and the minion leaves. Or they could just be terrified and flee.

Might not apply in every case but I don't see it get used much.

Yeah, I feel like it's a very overlooked technique. Even wound damage that eliminates an enemy could be considered this way.

Strain damage that incapacitates a character, maybe it doesn't completely knock them out, but they're exhausted or demoralized and unable to take any significant actions. This could apply to a PC or an NPC.

As above, the players in my game decide. If the strain damage "kills" a minion we fluff up the kill. Often times we go with the gun exploded in his hand, or the last attack actually killed the minion and his attack was done with his last breath before shuffling off this mortal coil.

Not that I'm against that method, but doesn't the book say PCs spend advantages and the GM spends threats? 

I look at it as the Players spend good effects for their side and the GM spends bad effects for their side.

so Players spend Player generated  Advantages and NPC Threats.

GMs spend Player generated Threats and NPC Advantages.

Edited by Tear44

Not that I'm against that method, but doesn't the book say PCs spend advantages and the GM spends threats?

That's meant for when the PC rolls. When the GM rolls it's the reverse. Surely you don't want the players telling you how to spend your nemesis' triumph...? :)

I usually apply threat as some situational modifier that helps the PCs. For example, the minion group second guesses themselves and fail to take their maneuver, Or if lots of threat is generated they do not take an action next turn as they are intimidated or confused about what to do next. A minion may flee the battle as a result of threat or despair.

I generally don't like to convert threat to damage but that's always a fallback if the imagination fails to kick in with a boon for the PCs.

I think the idea is that it's the other way around when the GM is the active player.

If an NPC is shooting at the players, the GM would spend the NPC's advantages and triumphs and the players could spend their threats and despairs.

That is a suggestion in the GM chapter. By default, the players adjudicate their own Advantage and Triumph, while the GM adjudicate all Threat, Despair, and NPC Advantage & Triumph.

A good GM, IMO, would be generally open to player ideas on how to spend these resources.

There are also specific instances in the rules, for example Force & Destiny's "Improved Reflect" (IIRC) allows for PCs to spend Threat on an NPC's combat check to redirect a blaster bolt.

All of these are of course subject to the GM's ruling, including instances of RAW. If the GM thinks he has the best idea for a player's Triumph, he is entitled to make a ruling on it. But try to keep the cooperative feel.