Sign in to follow this  
Castlecruncher

So... What Do We Do?

Alright: In EotE, you play as criminals. Criminals do plenty of stuff; heists, smuggling, bounty hunting, mercenary work, the whole shebang. If it can be done, you can do it in EotE. In AoR, you're playing operatives of the Rebellion. You do recruitment, sabotage, information gathering, assassination, combat, and all that. If it helps the Rebellion or hinders the Empire, then you can do it.

But in FaD, you play as PCs whose very existence makes them criminals and who aren't Jedi that follow by a code or receive missions. You Could easily do jobs for criminals or the Rebellion, but then you're just playing the other games.

So, my question to you is what the heck do you do?!? I honestly have no idea outside of playing in a Jedi era; in fact, my current game is just a sandbox game where the PCs have the Force. How do I implement the whole Jedi shebang? Telling them that it's their moral duty can only go so far before someone cries "Railroad Tracks" and everyone glares at you angrily. Because of this, I have the issue of not knowing what to do (other than the other two games, except as Jedi).

How do we play and what missions should we construct?

No offense, but I'm finding the whole "visit an old temple, find a holocron" suggestions a bit old...not that I've played any myself, so I'm just bitchin' :D   But there has to be more.

I think F&D is really aimed to be run in a Jedi-full setting.  If the setting is supposed to be pre-RotJ there's a story limit because Luke already stole the limelight (unless of course you break canon, not something I would do, but more power to those who will).

However, on a smaller scale, you can still run almost anything you'd want to run in a Dark Times setting, it's just that your character needs to be more secret about it.  F&D games don't preclude dipping into AoR territory...maybe Mon Mothma thinks you just happen to be particularly good at negotiations, even if they sometimes become aggressive.  Not every conflict has to focus on the Empire:  there are trade concessions to gain, secret bases to establish, local disgruntled populace to manage, anti-Empire sentiments to foster, PR moves like make (like bringing aid to a region where the Empire won't) etc.  It's not even a problem of running into Luke...the galaxy is vast, and maybe all you know about Luke is he's supposedly a **** good pilot.

They also don't preclude EotE settings either, except maybe all of the above is focussed on reigning in crime lords.

But if your entire party is Force users, then I'd say it's easier to shift the setting to one where Jedi are at least expected, if not loved.  In that case, check out this thread:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/114679-what-sort-of-campaignsstory-arcs-wouldshouldcould-you-play-in-fad/

Edited by whafrog

You could join the Rebellion of course, but you could wage your own private war too, I mean, Jedi don't like politicians, and the Rebel Alliance was founded by (corrupt?) senators from a Republic-gone-Empire... would you really trust them? Would they necessarily trust you?

The exploration, adventure, holocron and treasure hunting is a nice starting point, but it can - in my experience - become a tad tedious in the long run. There's always a good reason for a conspiracy, and there's always a good reason for the Empire to be anywhere the players go - if the players seek something powerful, rare and legendary, you bet some Imperial bureaucrat (or Inquisitor bad ass) is searching for it too, whether under orders from above or having temporarily abandoned his or her post to find whatever thingamajig it's all about.

Considering the ... unbalanced situation of the Force, Inquisitors and other evildoers can be "attracted" to force users who act, use the force and do good or whatever - this can be both a conscious thing, but also unconscious ...

Imagine an inquisitor like Belosh from Indiana Jones. With his Stormtroopers....And preventing the Empire from getting Jedi or sith Artifacts and crippling the Empire wherever they can. Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight might be another resource to steal ideas from. Freeing imperial slaves. 

Edited by Daeglan

I think what you do is Survive. Being a Jedi during the Empire is living with a deathmark. The whole purpose of a force user is surviving the Purge. For some, that might mean becoming a hermit and living on a world with only one basic biome. But that wouldn't be a lot of fun unless the GM wants to do localized adventures (I can very well see a space cowboy game where there are few starships and everyone looks to the wise hermit when there are issues around town.)

If you aren't localized, you will be hunted probably actively because someone in the Empire has witnessed your Jedi powers or you spend the entire story hiding the fact that you have them. In these cases, you basically will take on the role from one of the other books. Not necessarily a criminal role although even the A-Team were criminals in the law's eyes.

You could actively work against the Empire. That's pretty much being a Rebel. It also will mean a tall, dark, and red lightsaber wielding man will be looking for you. If the GM sticks with canon, that means you do what every one does when they see an Agent in the Matrix. You run. So we are back to that survive or die theme.

I think this game is a blend of EotE's "make your own way in the galaxy" and AoR's "do the right thing and fight the Empire."

Of course, your average group of FaD PCs aren't going to have the degree of backing that a party of AoR PCs is going to have, but they also don't have the Obligation issues that a group of EotE PCs would have.  Perhaps more so than PCs from either of the two previous books, a group of FaD PCs are on their own to determine what path they'll take.

So to my mind, it's up to the group to find a middle ground, doing what they can to uphold the ideals of the now-defunct Jedi Order while not becoming so great a nuisance that they make it to the front page of Darth Vader's "To Do" list.  How the go about doing that can vary from group to group.  Some may want to take the fight directly to the Empire, and eventually join up with the Rebel Alliance as a semi-autonomous group of operatives. Others may want to stick to the Outer Rim and the edges of Imperial control, settling for the "little victories" while protecting/helping those within arms' reach.

The synopsis of Force and Destiny from the developers have always been (Paraphrasing) "Characters have Inherited the legacy of the Jedi and explore their gifts and learn the ways of the Jedi". If I recall, most of what I read dances around the topic of "restoring the Jedi".

With that being said, I had my session 0 last game for a long-term campaign I want to start. All three of my players chose careers out of the Force and Destiny beta book. They also wanted to play in a mercenary campaign. Set in the Legacy era. Yeesh, now I get to figure out how to make THAT work.

But I do know where I want it to go:

ImpKnightRookiees-L46.jpg

I am thinking something along the lines of Outlaw Josey Wales or any manner of the spaghetti westerns wherein a former confederate soldier (that is, a Jedi or group of Jedi) has to carve out a way in a galaxy dominated by Unionists, bounty hunters, criminals, et al but all the while providing aid, comfort and defense of the defenseless.

It might help to understand the setting that FFG is going for with FaD.  EoTE and AoR are both set just after the Battle of Yavin.  You can't really do that with a force using character setting.  They are just too few and far between during that era.

So, my question to you is what the heck do you do?!? 

Anything you want. 

The entire concept of gangs of PC Force-users chumming around the galaxy having adventures together departs so widely from the movies that it almost cries out for your personal take on the material.

The returned Jedi are by far the worst adversaries in our campaign, and it's not impossible that the PCs might even have to unite the other factions (Empire included) against them. 

Play the game.  It's pretty simple really.  Make any campaign or story you would make for EoE and AoR characters.  The players just happen to be Force users.  They're going to be involved in certain situations for different reasons but they also need to eat.  They have to make their way in the galaxy.  So really anything goes, Fringer making a living on the rim, independant insurgent group raiding the Empire, Bounty Hunter focusing or actually stopping/catching rotten beings, Smuggler running medical supplies to oppressed planets, Explorer looking for Jedi artifacts, covert operative for the Rebellion hiding their true nature, just because the players are Force users doesn't mean all other activity stops in the galaxy when they walk in the room.

Quite frankly, I find it very unlikely I'll ever play a pure Force and Destiny game, at least not in the Rebel era.  I'd be much more likely to use the book to integrate force using characters into an existing EotE or AoR book.

I don't want to open the whole, why do we need 3 core books argument, but in the case of FaD, I find it much more likely it will end up just being a giant supplement for the other two systems.

Edited by Split Light

Many have brought up the Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven in regards to a full Force user campaign. For a continuing campaign you could look to the Magnificent Seven TV series. All of this would do for a group of Force users during the rebellion. Certainly you could draw on elements fro Edge and Age if you so chose, or even just focus on those elements.

You could also adapt and run a game set in other eras such as the Old Republic or Legacy era. Legacy lends itself to many of the themes of the original trilogy. The Old republic is pretty much open to anything.

My idea, if I were to run a full Force user campaign, is that the players are a group of Imperial Knights sent on missions by the Emperor in Exile. A campaign could be set up around the lead up to the Empire-in-Exile allying with the Gallactic Alliance Remnant against the Sith Empire led by Darth Krayt. The player characters could be at the center and possibly/probably the focus of that alliance. Personally I would use both Duty and Morality in such a campaign. Start all characters at "Knight" level with an Imperial Knight suit of armor and a lightsaber. Being a trouble-shooting group it would be important that the characters try to focus on different aspects.

Edited by mouthymerc

Many have brought up the Seven Samurai or The Magnificent Seven in regards to a full Force user campaign. For a continuing campaign you could look to the Magnificent Seven TV series. All of this would do for a group of Force users during the rebellion. Certainly you could draw on elements fro Edge and Age if you so chose, or even just focus on those elements.

"Regulators!  Mount up!!"

A death mark's not an easy thing to live with!

Also keep in mind there are places in the Galaxy where the Empire can't reach--the Unknown Regions, planets they haven't conquered yet, places where the Imperial presence is small, and so on.

In a way, it could be as much like the A-Team or Firefly as an EOTE campaign. You have to keep one step ahead of the authorities.

So you go places where they don't have 100% lockdown and have adventures. You might need to leave quickly once you've helped out a local village, or tracked down the clues on what happened to your missing uncle, or prevented a droid uprising.

You could be tempted toward the Dark Side by association with criminals in Hutt Space, or face weird and unusual aliens in the Unknown Regions.

Lots of options. Personally I don't have an intent to run a F&D campaign myself but there are loads of ways to do it.

Thanks for all the input. Just so that we're clear, I'm talking about "What do we do during the Rebellion time period," because that's the focus of the game.

Also, as I said in the original post, you could easily say you are just Jedi playing EotE or AoR, which is an issue since then this is just a supplement.

My current conclusion is that with FaD, you play as travelers that always try to help on secondary worlds and such, or that are always trying to fight the Empire for the good of the people. You are basically still Jedi, it's just that now you face a whole Galactic Empire.

Anyone disagree, or is this basically the whole idea?

(part two since more than 3 videos breaks the forums)

Or for a slightly different bent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk4vHeRiTac

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5RhBoFpm20

You could do Seven Samurai or Chinese Super Ninja (or really any Shaw Brothers flicks) or Yojimbo or A Chinese Ghost Story or the story of 47 Ronin or . . . .

Edited by Desslok

Drunken Master is one of my favorites! That should be a character I should make for Force and Destiny.

As for the "What do we do" question? I imagine a lot of that would be answered in the fluff portion of the final book. But we do have some inside looks already.

The included adventure in the back of the book is all about investigating a strange ruined temple* that the PCs later find out is tainted by the dark side. By the end of the adventure, the PCs are rewarded with shiny lightsaber crystals.

At Gen Con....

We played as budding Force Sensitives, each with some exposure to Jedi Knowledge, meeting up with an old archeologist friend in the Corporate sector.

We inspected some relics found at a dig that led us to a derelict ship from the Old Republic era (The KotOR era).

After fighting off some imperials that tracked us there as well as a Basilisk War Droid, we managed to escape with our lives and an old Holocron.

So we can guess that the fluff of the CRB will revolve around (or just involve) uncovering lost Jedi knowledge and avoiding imperials and inquisitors.

Edited by kaosoe

Another point to remember is that I imagine the actual Force and Destiny book will have lots of information on how to run Force and Destiny games.

A lot of that stuff isn't necessarily included in the beta, but they'll have lots of planets, another example adventure, and probably other information about stuff that you can include in your games to give them a Force and Destiny feel.

It might help to understand the setting that FFG is going for with FaD.  EoTE and AoR are both set just after the Battle of Yavin.  You can't really do that with a force using character setting.  They are just too few and far between during that era.

I think that this is one of my main issues with the FaD concept. I have no issue with rules for force users and have every intention of getting a copy of them and probably even running it but the idea of the timeline being Rebellion era just doesn't fly that well. I do have a concept but to run with a full group of fore users, which is the point of Force and Destiny being a Corebook, requires some degree of looseness with regard to how close to canon you intend to do your game.

If you were to run an Old Republic game, Rise of the Empire or New Republic game then it would not be an issue since the fact of a group of Jedi or Jedi-wannabes running around is fine and fits the era. And to be honest, the only reason I am going to try to run the game within the Rebellion era is for the Beta test. Normally I would integrate the rules into the whole to run a more traditional Star Wars game or use the rules within a different era as mentioned above.

That said, I am trying not to look at the rules through my own tinted viewpoint, and trying to give the rules the benefit of the doubt until I find that they either don't work or don't suit my group/games.

E