Sign in to follow this  
Bren_Waynero

Lightsaber and Weapon Attachments

There are a few melee weapon attachments from the existing materials that one could argue could be used on lightsabers.  The ones that feel most acceptable would be the Balanced Hilt (Core books) and Gene Lock (Dangerous Covenants).  One could argue that a Weighted Head could come into play on a lightsaber pike as increasing the momentum of the swing, although not until the pike had a HP added through Tinkerer or Intuitive Improvements.  It doesn’t quite feel right though as the pike’s damage seems more the result of the blade than any bludgeoning damage.  The Mono-Molecular and Serrated Edge are out, I can’t see justifying changes to an energy blade.  Superior weapon doesn’t matter as the superior hilt does the same thing.

Going the other way, lightsaber crystals clearly can’t be used on normal melee weapons.  Likewise the Dual-Phase modification and Training emitter shouldn’t work.  However, the Curved and Extended hilt could work on the same bladed weapons as a Balanced hilt does.  The base benefit of the curved hilt wouldn’t be of much use as it generates an advantage to successful Lightsaber checks (although the Ancient Sword does use the Lightsaber skill).  And for the extended hilt, personally, I would rule that to gain the benefit a character would need to be wielding the weapon with both hands.

How would you handle player requests for any of these possibilities?  

How would you handle player requests for any of these possibilities?  

By saying "no." The Lightsaber attachments are not 'regular' weapon attachments, they are in a section by themselves labeled "Lightsaber Attachments."

The Ancient Sword is also not a Lightsaber, but a sword. It just has a 'unique' balance that makes it handle unlike a 'regular' sword and close enough to a Lightsaber to use the Lightsaber skill. Although the way the "Lightsaber" section reads, the Ancient Sword would be considered as a Lightsaber for the purposes of the attachments/mods because it uses the Lightsaber skill. Not sure if that was intended to work that way for the ancient sword or if it was an oversight or exception to the rule. I'd lean towards it being an exception because the ancient sword is listed in the melee weapons section and not the lightsaber section. Also it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense... stuff a crystal inside a sword? o.O

Edited by Demigonis

Well I think you can add both superior and superior hilt and get 2 advantage

Can you?  Does the Superior quality stack?  Could someone using the H-7 Blaster Pistol (which is an inherently Superior weapon) apply a Superior Weapon attachment to it?  I had expected not.

On topic, I see no problem allowing a lightsaber to have a Balanced Hilt.  Of course, then you couldn't have a Curved Hilt or an Extended Hilt, either of which is likely preferrable.

On the other hand, I have a problem with the idea of a vibrosword with a curved or extended hilt.  I just don't see how that could work.

On topic, I see no problem allowing a lightsaber to have a Balanced Hilt.  Of course, then you couldn't have a Curved Hilt or an Extended Hilt, either of which is likely preferrable.

The concept of making a "Balanced Hilt" is by altering the balance between the head/blade of a weapon against the hilt/handle of it. The head of a lightsaber has no weight to adjust balance against.

Edited by Demigonis

The concept of making a "Balanced Hilt" is by altering the balance between the head/blade of a weapon against the hilt/handle of it. The head of a lightsaber has no weight to adjust balance against.

I can't agree with this assessment, though I see the point.

I feel that a lightsaber, despite lacking any mass for the blade, certainly has a center of mass, and it also has its vibration, or a moment of inertia, or some other thing that makes it tricky to handle.  It is certainly not tricky to handle simply because it is a hilt with no blade attached.  I have no discernable difficulty pointing a flashlight (or torch, depending on where you live).

So I think that a lightsaber hilt could be "balanced" such that these things make the lightsaber less unweildy, and could see Accuracy making sense in that situation.

Edited by Scalding

I can't agree with this assessment, though I see the point.

I feel that a lightsaber, despite lacking any mass for the blade, certainly has a center of mass, and it also has its vibration, or a moment of inertia, or some other thing that makes it tricky to handle.  It is certainly not tricky to handle simply because it is a hilt with no blade attached.  I have no discernable difficulty pointing a flashlight (or torch, depending on where you live).

So I think that a lightsaber hilt could be "balanced" such that these things make the lightsaber less unweildy, and could see Accuracy making sense in that situation.

Ehh... I understand what you mean... but Jedi individually craft their lightsabers to fit them and be as an extension of their own body. I'd argue they're already "balanced" perfectly for you individually and can't be "balanced" further.

What if someone crafted their lightsaber, believing they had crafted an perfect extension for themselves.  Later, they find that it could have been better.  Hence the need to adjust the original design with a better balanced hilt?  It would be impressive to get it right the first time, but everyone, Jedi included, can learn from experience and mistakes.

Absolutely, Jedi can make mistakes and learn from them. If they want to alter the shape or curvature or something I would agree. But the 'balance' seems like such an incredibly small part of a small light object with a weightless blade. As I said before, the concept of a balanced hilt would be to alter/adjust the balance between the hilt and the blade. There has never been anything I've seen to suggest that a lightsaber becomes heavier after it has been ignited. It's also listed under the 'regular' weapon attachments, and is not listed under lightsaber attachments with the other hilts.

Edited by Demigonis

The balanced hilt is not a particulary powerful attachment, adding only Accuracy 1 or 2.  Given the option, I can't imagine anyone using in instead of the other lightsaber hilt attachments.  They certainly wouldn't be doing it to powergame.

Actually, the fact that there is a Superior Hilt Personalization to me strongly hints that lightsabers are not supposed to be able to take the Superior Weapon Attachment, which is generally available for any given weapon.  As a result, I have to conclude that the intention is that lightsabers use only lightsaber attachments, and lightsaber attachements only attach to lightsabers.

Edited by Scalding