Sign in to follow this  
Julia

Questions for the next FAQ - please post here

Hi folks,

I started collecting questions for a possible Eldritch Horror FAQ project. So, if you have any issues requiring an official clarification, you believe some points in the wording of cards or rules are obscure, or are uncertain on anything else, please post your questions here.

Also, if you received official clarifications via email, please post questions and answer here as well, so that everything can be included in the very same document.

Thanks a lot for your help :) The game is awesome, and with your help will be even better :)

JULIA

DISCLAIMER: Please, remember, I do not work for FFG nor am I a spokeperson for them

Edited by Julia

Great news.

Here are two questions and responses I've received to date (one of these was shared on BGG already)

----------- Regarding Advancing Doom ------------------

Hello Richard,

When an effect causes Doom to advance, it advances one space at a time until the effect is completely resolved. In the example you've mentioned, Doom is to advance by four. It advances by one first and reached the end of the Doom track, causing Shub-Niggurath to awaken. Then Doom continues to advance the remaining three, each such advancement being replaced by the Ancient One's effect. In this case, that means three Monster with spawn.

Thanks for playing!
~ Nikki Valens
Fantasy Flight Games

Message from:
Richard Little

Rule Question:
Short form: If I am to advance doom by more than one space at a time (from a single cause, e.g the omen token advancing), does this count as just one instance of advancing doom, or multiple?

Details: During my last game against Shub-Nigarruth at the beginning of the mythos phase the doom token was on space 1 of the doom track. The mythos card led to the omen token being advanced. There were four gates on the board that matched the omen tokens new space. Following the reference guide for "Doom", I advanced the doom token one space to 0 and then proceeded to resolve the awakening affects for Shub-Niggaruth. I then checked the rules on Shub-Niggurath regarding what should occur when doom advances after Shub-Niggurath is awakened (as I still had three more spaces to advance doom). And here is where I ran into a problem: how many monsters should I spawn on the space with the epic Shub-Niggaruth monster: just one monster (since doom was only being advanced by one effect, namely the omen token advancing) or three monsters (since the doom token would normally have advanced three more spaces)?

Thanks!

----------- Regarding Flute of the Elder Gods ------------------

Hello Richard,

When a Monster is defeated, either directly as with the Flute of the Outer Gods Artifact or by losing Health equal to its toughness, that Monster is discarded. In a case of a non-Epic Monster, it is returned to the Monster cup. Epic Monsters are returned to the game box.

Note that an Epic Monster cannot be defeated or discarded unless it has lost Health equal to its toughness. This means the Flute of the Outer Gods Artifact cannot defeat an Epic Monster. It will, however, defeat all non-Epic Monsters on the space.

Thanks for playing!
~ Nikki Valens
Fantasy Flight Games

Message from:
Richard Little

Rule Question:
Short form: Can the Flute of the Outer Gods artifact affect epic monsters?

Long form: A discussion has arisen on how to interpret "defeat all monsters" on this card. Does "defeat" mean "lose health equal to toughness" (in which case epic monsters can be defeated if other conditions are met) or is just another way of stating "discard" (in which case all epic monsters are immune).

(Edited to make items clearer)

Edited by ricedwlit

Q1: I seem to have garbled information when it goes to the point where you have solved three mysteries but won't take effect till mythos is done but a game over effect happens on the reaction card/doom or when the mythos card involved is the one where says lose the game when this is last card.

Q2: Can you add additional dice to a reroll pool; for example, you did not use the lantern or actress ability but now that you are using a clue to reroll, can you use it?

Q3:  Charlie cannot use ability on delayed investigators but can you still target them with plump the void or charlie other ability like passing a charter flight asset?

Edit: Q4: Time and space card failure deposits you on a gate that you have to immediately encounter it, do you fight the monster that had spawn on it or does it skip that step similar to how the detained condition skips monsters to resolve as the encounter?

We need some new icons for this forum that are from eldritch  >_<

Edited by Daisu

I still need answers for earlier questions.

Another is the mythos card No Peace for The Fallen; discard defeated investigators then give lead a Curse condition.  I have been playing this card as a curse even if there is no investigators to discard.  how is it suppose to play out?

Edited by Daisu

I guess your post was misleading to me.  2nd part does say official responses but first part  was asking for questions that might deem worthy of getting official responses. :(

I did though ask for icons in another part of the forum but never got a response but I yet to send in the questions, I was thinking that you might be collecting them then sending.

Edited by Daisu

Ah, ok, now I get it. The purpose of this thread is jut to collect questions requiring an official clarification, not providing answers, sorry. I'll certainly send the collected questions to FFG, but it's rather a long time project, so, don't hold your breath in between.

If any question that requires attention pops up in different threads, please post it here as well so that I won't miss it :)

And thanks for help :)

One of the chaps on the BGG noticed an odd quirk in the "Monster and/or Epic-Monster" rules ...

>>> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1097887/discard-monster-defeat-monster

... so Encounter Card - Tokyo #8: (edit) "If you pass, you can use the arcane manual to move 1 Monster of your choice"

Has a valid point as Monster = Non-Epics as well, and we know your not allowed to move Epic's. 

The card should have read Non-Epic Monster?

Walts

Just received a reply to a question I sent in regarding an interaction between FL and MOM.  Sharing here for all.

Question: 

Rule Question:
What precisely constitutes an "Expedition Space"? Is it any space which is eligible to become the location of the Active Expedition token (i.e. has a card in the Expedition encounter deck)?

The context for this question is the "Migration of Serpents" mystery for Yig which states "move each Clue on the game board to the nearest Expedition space". I'm playing with the Mountains of Madness expansion which added cards for Rome, Sydney, and Arkham to the expedition deck, hence I'm now wondering if they too should be considered Expedition spaces (along with Tunguska, The Heart of Africa, ...).

Answer:

Hello Richard,

An “Expedition space” is any space with an illustration and name presented as a polaroid photograph. Examples include The Amazon, The Pyramids, or Antarctica.

Arkham, Rome, and Sydney, although an Expedition Encounter may appear in these spaces, are not Expedition spaces.

Thanks for playing!
~ Nikki Valens
Fantasy Flight Games

Note that answer is worded in such a way as to guard against any future expansions that may spawn expeditions in other interesting places...  

Side note: during the game where this came up I guessed the opposite of the reply, resulting in four clues moving to Arkham where I already had two investigators (out of four total in the game).  Needless to say the mystery didn't take long to solve. :)

[Edited to fix formating]

Edited by ricedwlit

So expedition place are : Tunguska, Pyramids, Heart of Africa, Amazon, Antartica, Himalai right?

For the game in it's current state, that is correct.  In some future expansion they could add a side board with locations that meet the criteria specified (" space with an illustration and name presented as a polaroid photograph"), but for now we have just the original six.

Yup, sorry Richard, it was meant more to be a general consideration, like "hey, we have a new FAQ!!" rather than a direct answer to you / Glaurung talking about the definition of Expedition Space :)

My question is similar to the one Richard posted, but Yog-Sothoth adds a twist to it in comparison with Shub-Niggurath:

Last time I played, doom was at 2 and it advanced by 4 after the omen moved counterclockwise because of a Mythos card.
The first two doom advances awakened Yog, the following two should follow the awakened side of the AO's sheet's rules.
Yog's sheet says "Each time a Gate would cause Doom to advance, place that Gate on this sheet instead."
Well, 4 red gates caused doom to advance in sequence. Which two should I place on the AO's sheet? Am I allowed to choose in this case?

Seems to me you should get to choose which two go onto Yog's sheet.  If you will, think of it like this: after moving the omen counterclockwise you saw that there were four gates that matched the omen side.  Mentally pick an order for the gates and then proceed to advance doom by one per gate, in order. The first two you select reduced the doom track, the latter two get placed on Yog-Sothoth.

I think need to explain more in detail (sorry don't remember the name posting while waiting for class in school) its a a Cthulhu Mystery where you place eldritch tokens and then remove them, but they don't get discarded from the board. I still have no clue what they mean by that. 

Can you basically get rid of every gate of the game with the ''Walking the ley lines'' unique asset?

Yes, but why would you like to do so? If both the gate stack and the gate discard pile are depleted, then every time a gate is to be spawned, you advance doom instead. Not so sure of how helpful could be that

I think need to explain more in detail (sorry don't remember the name posting while waiting for class in school) its a a Cthulhu Mystery where you place eldritch tokens and then remove them, but they don't get discarded from the board. I still have no clue what they mean by that. 

The mystery is "The Deep Ones Attack!"

The first part of the Mystery forces you to place 1 Eldritch token / investigator on a sea zone (the sea zone on containing an eldritch token that is closest to each investigator)

Investigators on spaces with Eldritch token may accept (as encounter) being ambushed by a Deep One. If they kill the monster and spend the clue, the Eldritch is places on the card.

You need to put on the card a number of Eldritch equals to the number of investigators. The other Eldritch remains in play.

At this point, you may say "but what's the sense? Let's say I play with 4 investigators, I spawn 4 Eldritch, I gain 4 eldritch to pass the Mystery, how is possible that something remains on the board?"

You need to remember you're playing a Cthulhu game: Chutlhu's reckoning effect reads that every time the reckoning is triggered, you must place an Eldritch token on each sea space that contains an Investigator (and does not contain an Eldritch token)

This means that when the Mystery "The Deep Ones Attack" enters play, you may already have Eldritch tokens on the board due to previous reckonings. And when the Mystery is solved, for the very same reason you may have some Eldritch tokens remaining on the board. In this case, you keep them as they are (since they represent dangerous positions for the players) instead of discarding them.

Hope this clarifies your doubts

I've read about this issue in another topic, but I still don't quite understand how it works. The Deep One Attack! Cthulhu Mystery says it spawns Eldritch Tokens equal to number of investigators and then those have to be solved as encounters. Ok, no problem there. Then you use specifically those ET to resolve the encounters and put them on the Mystery card. But the next paragraph says that you don't discard any Eldritch Tokens. To which tokens are they refering to that do not get discarded? If you have 5 players, you'll spawn 5 tokens and then use them to put them on the card. If you don't discard them, you can just stay on the same space and fight Deep Ones, which makes the mystery a bit easier. I'm really confused.