Sign in to follow this  
ThenDoctor

Recommended Experience for becoming an Inquisitor?

Says it all right there. What do you think a good amount of experience is to have before you drop the amount on the Elite advance?

I'm considering running a small solo game to pass the time with a friend and he's always wanted to be an Inquisitor, but I didn't want to just start him out with the base xp and the amount for the elite advance and throw him at the wolves so to speak. Not to say that isn't a viable way to run a game, I just don't think it'd go over very well with him.

Normally I go with something along the lines of rank 7 and up, depending on services rendered to the inquisition and performence in the field. Given I'm assuming you're wanting some sort of notable progression still, though, I'd maybe suggest rank 4, with a reasonable talent and skill base, but not yet so far ahead as to be insanely high powered.

In my campaign the player going for inquisitor is becoming an interrogator now where they are around 13000 xp (DH1 levels, that means 16000-18000 DH2 levels). And it will probably be a while before he becomes a full inquisitor still.

I was looking at this myself last night.

I'm kind of surprised there's no guidance in the book - since it actively encourages a party/GM to create a fleshed-out Inqusitor NPC  - with regards to experience levels, etc, or with the inflence level one should expect for a higher XP character (in the way higher starting infamy and corruption was recommended for Black Crusade characters).

I was looking at this myself last night.

I'm kind of surprised there's no guidance in the book - since it actively encourages a party/GM to create a fleshed-out Inqusitor NPC  - with regards to experience levels, etc, or with the inflence level one should expect for a higher XP character (in the way higher starting infamy and corruption was recommended for Black Crusade characters).

I thought about this as well, I was planning on letting the new player choose to roll between 1 and 4 dices for extra influence, with the added catch that he also had to distribute the dices (before rolling) to either insanity or corruption scores.

Edited by Alox

I second the idea of having the would-be inquisitor spend at least a few missions worth time as an interrogator/till they've impressed the inquisitor long enough that they get elevated/ have the prerequisite influence to become one. Makes for some great RP opportunities to!

I second the idea of having the would-be inquisitor spend at least a few missions worth time as an interrogator/till they've impressed the inquisitor long enough that they get elevated/ have the prerequisite influence to become one. Makes for some great RP opportunities to!

I'm not debating the merits here. I want him to start out as an inquisitor, he wants to start out as an inquisitor. We don't know a recommended experience amount. Which is the major issue with having such a powerful thing be an elite advance in the first place...

I'm not debating the merits here. I want him to start out as an inquisitor, he wants to start out as an inquisitor. We don't know a recommended experience amount. Which is the major issue with having such a powerful thing be an elite advance in the first place...

Fair enough. Yeah it is odd that they glossed over such details in the main book. 

The only requirement is 75 Influence, which is impossible to start the game with. The only way to gain Influence is through actions in-game, so if you want a starting character (meaning at the start of your campaign) to be an Inquisitor, rules as written, there is no amount of XP that would allow for that.

My advice is to waive the 75 Influence requirement, give everyone 1,000 extra XP (the cost of the Inquisitor package) and just let the player take it. Maybe cast them as a disgraced Inquisitor or one who has somehow fallen out of favor to reflect their comparatively low starting Influence.

There is guidance in the book on recommended Influence for an Inquisitor... it recommends twice the group's average influence when you're starting (which would actually put it in the ~70 range, the prerequisite for taking the advance).

I like how the new rules make being an Inquisitor not a case of simply reaching the top of the career path, but something pretty much anyone could step into. I can imagine the feeling of being powerful is part of the attraction for the solo player, though, so I would say you would probably look at between 10,000 and 20,000 exp?

That might work, but if he's disgraced he'd still have some skills. He wouldn't have become an inquisitor otherwise. Perhaps I'll just have it be something like he just recently recovered from the destruction of his network which included some severe physical and mental trauma.

Fits with Askellon's nature and lack of inquisitorial involvement.

I'm fine with an inquisitor not being some sort of superhuman demigod, but at the same time, he ought to be a bit better than your starting plebs...

There is guidance in the book on recommended Influence for an Inquisitor... it recommends twice the group's average influence when you're starting (which would actually put it in the ~70 range, the prerequisite for taking the advance).

I like how the new rules make being an Inquisitor not a case of simply reaching the top of the career path, but something pretty much anyone could step into. I can imagine the feeling of being powerful is part of the attraction for the solo player, though, so I would say you would probably look at between 10,000 and 20,000 exp?

I missed that. Where is it?

Remember, aside from the hefty 1,000 XP to take the Elite Advance, it also has a prerequisite of 75+ Influence.  Even at the highest starting value that will likely take some considerable time to develop in game.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Edited by Brother Praetus

I asked for advice in the contact system as well, and Mr. Huckelbery provided a sound answer.

It boiled down to it depended on the intended game, but generally 10-15k should be enough.

So I plan on having a base 10k, the player will roll 5d10s and dispense the result between his insanity and corruption. I will allow a max of 15k, but he will roll an extra dice every 1k he wishes to increase from 10k.

I'm fine with an inquisitor not being some sort of superhuman demigod, but at the same time, he ought to be a bit better than your starting plebs...

I missed that. Where is it?

Yeah, it really isn't obvious (I was actually looking for acolyte starting influence as I didn't realise it was the same as any other stat). Check out the box on page 361, first paragraph.

Well...taking the 75 Influence required...and taking an average 3 Influence & 500 XP per game session with a starting Influence of 30...I would say, it ist about 15 game sessions at least (if you dont lose any influence, which is unrealistic). So lets say, after 20-25 game sessions, it could be a realistic goal to set, which means about 10.000-12.500 XP.

Well, I think you should think about the experience level of his retinue, as well as what antagonists you want them to fight. There's no way that a single Dark Heresy character, no matter they're experience, could take on a group of characters and expect to make it out in one piece (just based off of Ganging Up rules and such). Adding 1 or 2 additional characters to the retinue would be a significant aid to your player. You could probably gauge your enemies off of the threat thresholds in the back.

I also think that playing a 2-3k xp Inquisitor could be fun- reminiscent of Eisenhorn in Xenos. it'd really force them to use the Reinforcement character situation, at times when things get messy. Just make sure that they're Influence begins at 75(ish)

Edited by Kainus

Rather than disgraced, the character could also just as easily be a fresh-made Inquisitor.

Eisenhorn at the beginning of his saga is just such a person, and he's clearly got little more than his rosette and his gun cutter to his name.  As the books roll on, he widens his net of contacts, his personal power and his pool of acolytes/hangers-on.  Naturally his enemies likewise grow by leaps and bounds.

It could also be quite logical that a new-made Inquisitor be sent to Askellon.  One of those situations where his old master promoted him, and then sent him to a proving ground a bit out of the public eye to get some experience/successes under his belt.  If he fails, there won't be anyone around who matters to witness it.  An Interrogator might also be an option, but he's likely to be far out of contact with his old master, requiring a certain freedom and flexibility.  The lower rank might not be sufficient.

There are several examples of powerful Inquisitors and Inquisitor Lords who still count their old Interrogators, now promoted to full Inquisitors, amongst their retinues.  Oh they're not lackeys, but as they tend to share their old master's viewpoints, they are like trusted junior partners...perfect for sending on long trips into relatively lawless space for whatever reasons might be relevant.

An Interesting Irony! In DH1 Ascension, An Inquisitor could start at the top of the standard Exp. scale (About 15k exp.) The current system, as Gauntzero pointed out, would put you in a similar place when you reach 75 Influence.

I personally think that when a player reaches about 65 influence and shows leadership potential (A key point for an Inquisitor) they could be promoted to Interrogator. This would have no mechanical effect other than to 'mark' the candidate as a candidate for the Rossette. This character would lead their particular cell (I hate the term warband! It sounds too 'chaos' to me) until they reach 75 influence. If they have not displeased their Inquisitor (The GM in most cases.), than they may be promoted to full Inquisitor. Remember though; That period between 65 and 75 influence will be filled with some of the most difficult missions the Inquisitor can come up with! This will not be out of malice but simply to ensure that the Interrogator "has what it takes".   

Ex.

A character starts with a 35 Influence.

- Book states characters should receive between 3-5 influence over an adventure lasting a few sessions (3).

- This equates to 3-5 (assuming an average of 4) influence being worth approximately 1200xp based on the abstract method of awarding 400xp per session.

- Based on a starting influence of 35, you need 40 points to meet the 75 influence threshhold.

- At 4 influence equalling 1200xp (40 influence divided by 4 is 10 and 10x1200xp=12,000xp)

- I'd say you need exactly 12,000xp (not including the starting 1000xp)

My guess would be roughly 13,000xp starting level is reasonable for an Inquisitor on the fast track.

Edited by LeBlanc13