Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spaceman91

off topic: let's have some fun....

92 posts in this topic

An old inside joke.

"Ra" version number Cat

Though, there are some who prefer "Ra is a very nice cat" in light of the ra + vn + cat, few tend to connect RA with the Egyptian sun god, and this post may have changed how you pronounce my name, as most think of it as Raven cat or sometimes raving cat.

An old inside joke.

"Ra" version number Cat

Though, there are some who prefer "Ra is a very nice cat" in light of the ra + vn + cat, few tend to connect RA with the Egyptian sun god, and this post may have changed how you pronounce my name, as most think of it as Raven cat or sometimes raving cat.

I think of you as red R5 guy.

Revanchist likes this

Mine comes from my Xbox live gamer tag. I originally had Kovalev as a screen name and was part of the group who picked up Xbox live on day 1. During the first few years Xbox live was a magical experience as a vast majority of people treated everyone with respect. The culture was shifting on Xbox live and the treatment to each other changed along with that Osoroshii Ryuu was born. I had learned rudimentary Japanese to talk with the Japanese players who were about half of the community in the game Steel Battalion. Having the ability to tread with the entire community I was able to broker deals between the English speaking players and the Japanese. I switched names from Kovalev to Osoroshii Ryuu strictly due to the way people were treating each other. I found by having a Japanese name people would start the rude **it talk and if I simply stayed silent they would just stop.

Osoroshii Ryuu means Terrible Dragon. Not terrible as in a scary dragon but as in bad at being a dragon. I've shortened it in my existence on the webs to just Osoroshii. I carry Osoroshii to all places I visit from BGG to Vassal.

PenguinBonaparte likes this

My standard forum name is Lepre_Khan. I thought of a number of years ago when I thought I was being terribly clever with the wordplay. I am of Irish descent and wanted to be a warlord, what else conveys that so perfectly asked my younger self.

Unfortunately, it was already taken on FFG (my younger self was not as original as he thought) and I didn't want to do a variant as I often do. Lepre is interesting, but takes too long to explain.

I had just started playing X-Wing when I signed up, and was super pumped about Soontir Fel. He was already one of my favorite EU characters and his squint with PTL is easily my favorite ship in the game. So yea. Not super brilliant, but it is fun to imagine the Baron looking and sounding like Jaime Lannister.

Buddy was tryin to get my attention from the otherside of a train platform years ago but instead of shoutin sam he yelled ham and it evolved from there. 1st sam ham then i became the hamwich i am today

Spaceman91 likes this

The "T" in my screen name is the first letter in my actual name (Tadd)

7 Thunders comes from the dokken song.

Your names tadd...I've reported your parents to the authorities for child cruelty, hold in there champ we'll have you with foster parents just in it for the money in no time.

After years of being disappointed with the nicknames I was given, I came up with GroggyGolem. First use for the name: League of Legends. I use it for everything now, to make things simpler.

Zero dark is a military term for a time after midnight when it is not relevant to know the precise time eg "I'm on guard duty until zero dark"

Obviously more well known from Zero Dark Thirty, but never actually explained during the film.

I generally get home from work at Zero dark

Edited by 0Dark

Zero dark is a military term for a time after midnight when it is not relevant to know the precise time eg "I'm on guard duty until zero dark"

Obviously more well known from Zero Dark Thirty, but never actually explained during the film.

I generally get home from work at Zero dark

Phew with the name and the avatar I just thought you were a proud member of the clan.

Mine goes back a ways with me. My RL name is Michael, but the full name comes from an old (and great!) Warhammer novel titled Beasts in Velvet. In that novel, Mikael Hasselstein was a politician working for the Emperor. The character's name was, however, a tongue-in-cheek reference to Michael Heseltine, who was a member of Margaret Thatcher and John Major's cabinets in the late 80s/early 90s. I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheekness of it all, and I used the name to sign up to a Warhammer Roleplay forum. I've been using the name ever since on all the hobby forums that I've been a part of.

Baron Soontir Fel likes this

Mine goes back a ways with me. My RL name is Michael, but the full name comes from an old (and great!) Warhammer novel titled Beasts in Velvet. In that novel, Mikael Hasselstein was a politician working for the Emperor. The character's name was, however, a tongue-in-cheek reference to Michael Heseltine, who was a member of Margaret Thatcher and John Major's cabinets in the late 80s/early 90s. I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheekness of it all, and I used the name to sign up to a Warhammer Roleplay forum. I've been using the name ever since on all the hobby forums that I've been a part of.

:blink:

I can't believe I got that right.

I thought of this the first time I saw your username but I thought: "Nah.  Just coincidence.  He's probably just some Danish guy."

Edited by Bakura83

I thought of this the first time I saw your username but I thought: "Nah.  Just coincidence.  He's probably just some Danish guy."

I'm Dutch, actually. Well... dual citizen.

But, how did you get that right? This is seriously obscure! Who are you??!

I am your father.

Edited by Bakura83
Cremate, GroggyGolem, Sekac and 2 others like this

I am your father.

NNNNOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!

Jedhead, N4n0, GroggyGolem and 2 others like this

Was "Beasts in Velvet" the Warhammer serial killer story - where the killer used his trained falcon as the murder weapon?

Plus, I'll not forgive Tarzan for screwing up Westland

Edited by 0Dark

Was "Beasts in Velvet" the Warhammer serial killer story - where the killer used his trained falcon as the murder weapon?

I forget the falcon part, but yes.

Mine's boring I'm afraid! A lad at school took to calling people by their names reversed, so Sam became Mas, which for some reason is apparently pronounced Maz, which I think looks better spelt Mazz. Mazz was taken when I first joined t'intermawebs, so I added a number to the end, and being a geek obviously I start numbering from zero, so Mazz0. My other handle, "Hush-Ne Campus", is just random sounds/words.

Edit: and sometimes a lowercase m because if you're numbering from zero you might as well treat it like a variable name!

Edited by mazz0

I am a large, brutish looking man and I sometimes wear a top hat.

Lol.  I was so busy jesting with Mikael I totally forgot what this thread was actually about and saw your post and was like "geez guy.  Attention seek much?  Fool didn't even join in the conversation."

But guess what?

I was the fool...

Edited by Bakura83

So Jedhead comes from an old comic strip (Doonesbury, actually) making fun of the people who would camp out in front of theaters to see Episode 1.  It basically accused them of forming compounds and raising their kids to think they were in the Star Wars universe.  Those kids were known as Jedheads.  I adopted the moniker, as I sometimes liked to pretend I was in the Star Wars universe as I played my old Star Wars Decipher CCG, action figures, etc with my younger brothers. 

The name has stuck with me ever since, though I did not camp out for Episode 1...

So Jedhead comes from an old comic strip (Doonesbury, actually) making fun of the people who would camp out in front of theaters to see Episode 1.  It basically accused them of forming compounds and raising their kids to think they were in the Star Wars universe.  Those kids were known as Jedheads.  I adopted the moniker, as I sometimes liked to pretend I was in the Star Wars universe as I played my old Star Wars Decipher CCG, action figures, etc with my younger brothers. 

The name has stuck with me ever since, though I did not camp out for Episode 1...

Wait...it seriously accused them of that, or was it an in-universe joke?

The comic strip was making fun of the people who loved Star Wars enough to camp out to see a movie.  It was a tongue-in-cheek portrayal (obviously untrue) of those like me who loved it with a passion and would devote a significant chunk of their time to the Star Wars universe in any fashion. 

Significant time?  Star Wars?  That might sound familiar...

So yeah, basically everyone else on this forum, too. You are all Jedheads!  You just didn't know it. :D

Edited by Jedhead
Digitalkiller likes this