Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Omnitron310

Do you think we will ever see a ship without the Focus action?

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I think it's an interesting topic. So far, every ship in the game has the Focus action as standard, and it's kind of accepted that this is the 'default' action. But do you think there is a possibility that we will see a ship without it? It would be quite a major drawback; enough that the ship could probably be boosted in other ways (ie. more attack dice to compensate for more of them being duds). The ship could also probably have some upgrades/unique pilots that interact with focus symbols in some way. Thoughts?

The epic ships don't have the focus action.

Question will we see a rebel ship that doesn't have the Target Lock action?

(Also what about X-wing and B-wing S-foils? Could that become an action? Firepower 0 Agility +1 and at the end of each movement move 1 straight, lock S-foils into attack position before revealing dial.)

Edited by Marinealver
catachanninja likes this

Hey guys. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I think it's an interesting topic. So far, every ship in the game has the Focus action as standard, and it's kind of accepted that this is the 'default' action. But do you think there is a possibility that we will see a ship without it? It would be quite a major drawback; enough that the ship could probably be boosted in other ways (ie. more attack dice to compensate for more of them being duds). The ship could also probably have some upgrades/unique pilots that interact with focus symbols in some way. Thoughts?

It wouldn't necessarily be a complete line of ships, but a pilot perhaps?

Farmboy hotshot

"you can't perform focus actions or be assigned focus tokens".

not very likely. I keep having this weird vibe that the Focus was suppose to mean "The Force" but it doesnt feel quite right to use it, hence Focus

Focus is the pilots ability to concentrate on a maneuver or aim, which is ironic because focus allows for it to be use for just about any thing instead of focusing on one action.

But the one thing is that Focus is based on an individual pilots ability hence why the Huge ships don't have stress or focus actions, it is an entire crew working on their task not just a single pilot.

Tie Droid.

PS1 1-2-1-0
Barrel Roll, Target Lock (droids are supposed to do that right? Also kills Howlrunner builds preventing the resurrection of the swarm)

6-8pts (?)

A ship like this would be great for a story driven campaign (which I'm totally going to do) but I dont see much use for it in standard play.

Chris Maes likes this

If they ever release a ship that is supposed to be completely automated (Drones, Sentries, etc) by low level AI, as opposed to IG-88, it would be quite flavorful for them to lack the Focus option.

I agree - I always thought drones or droid pilots should lack the focus action but have a pay off elsewhere - i.e. immune to the effects of stress, but unable to use the focus action(or something similar).

Plainsman and Chris Maes like this

If they ever release a ship that is supposed to be completely automated (Drones, Sentries, etc) by low level AI, as opposed to IG-88, it would be quite flavorful for them to lack the Focus option.

I agree - I always thought drones or droid pilots should lack the focus action but have a pay off elsewhere - i.e. immune to the effects of stress, but unable to use the focus action(or something similar).

I kind of like the idea of automated 'pilots' like drones having no focus, but having almost no red maneuvers (maybe not white K-Turns, for the Defender's sake). They can't be versatile and adapt to every changing moment like a human pilot, but they also can't get distracted from making sure that Target Lock lands. But they should still be able to get stress - after all, the auto-pilot would still need to take emergency evasive maneuvers when receiving flechette torpedo fire. And a Jam action would probably be just as effective as against a human pilot, only for different reasons.

VorackTheGrim likes this

Agreed, droids no focus.

I think stress is a combined situational/ship thing so they should still get stress.

The balance should just be higher pilot skill or lower points.

Tie droid, vulture droids, droid trifighters...

I think they should just have the "droid" icon/keyword-

-no Focus

-ignore stress from maneuvers

-ignore the pilot abilities of non-droid pilots

For tie droids I like

2/3/3/0- TL, BR, evade

Droid

11pts

In "campaign" mode I usually have a marker that allows them to TL only until its destroyed and make them 10pts.

Is anyone else praying to the little baby Jesus they never release TIE droids? They always were lame and they always will be. An entire board filled with TIE Droids... what a chore.

Sorry to rain on the automated parade.