Sign in to follow this  
Gregorius21778

[Needed] Illicit/Illegal goods for a "black market" in Hive Sybillus [Mild "EdgeOfDarkness"-Spoiler]

Warning/Warnung:
Wenn ihr einen bärtigen Spielleiter in Bielefeld habt der den Namen "Kai" trägt und dessen Katze "Katze" heisst....HÖRT AUF ZU LESEN !

Okay, my honest players should be out right now... so, 

Greetings, brethern.

I need help/some inspiration for fleshing out a little location. Deep in a polluted maintenance-sektor lies an entrance to liquid-wast pipe (used for pumping "exess waste"  from on section into another one). This happens on a regular basis. So, during a 6 hour period, the huge pipe is rather empty.

During this period, the pipe is the backdrop to a literal "black market". HereTeks offer illegal weapons and devices, RipperMeds buy limps and big time narco drug dealers sell huge quantities to the narco gang dealers. All of this under the umbrella of a rather large and violent mutant gang that lives in the polluted maintenance level and takes "fees" from the market dealer in exchange for "protection". ["Down here, beast aren´t pretty. Are even more unpretty then we are. So we need most-unpretty gunz we can get, ya.")

To be true, the later thing (Cartell Level Narco Dealers selling Obscura to Narco Gangs) is the reason why I made this stuff up. It is a "gap" between "Edge of Darkness" and "Gateway 17"; the pc either get the information out of one of Luntz "trusted men" or must go down with him (offering a release after entering the market). 

My problem:
I want to populate the "Pipe Market" with about 15 to 24 "market stalls", but beside

- HereTeks offering "enhanced" weapons, "reprogrammed" servitors and devices like multikeys
- Cartell-Level Drug dealers
- a Wyrdling and/or Verminbspeaker offering service

I do not have much ideas right now...and or next session is on Sunday...and I do not know how long I can "stall" them with there way through the level, so...can you lend me hand? Thank you!

Hrm, well, I'll try to give you some ideas as they come.

The first: A vender in the tube is selling cut rate servitors for all your manual labor / pit fighting needs. However, he is now a member of the Adaptus Mechanicus (as selling such servitors in a sewage pipe should attest to, never mind the clientèle or the costs...) and his servitors are not servitors. They are actually poor unfortunates who have committed some slight (some just in the vender's own brain-rotted head) against him. He overpowered then, sedated them, preformed a very crude lobotomy on them, hacked off some limbs and crudely implanted the industrial components -the suiters on several have even become infected. Most all of them are also equipped with a pain harness with remote to "assist with the servitors programming." What's more, the PC's might just spot someone they've had former dealings with in the line up... such as Mrs Arberest (sp?).

I'll post more random ideas as they occur to me.

How about a few low-key gun-runners? Small time scummers with stalls full of battered, previously-owned weapons. Probably nothing bigger and nastier than autoguns, mostly poor quality, with maybe a common quality item or two- nothing better.

A fun bit would be to have them notice someone buying a knock-off Westingkrupp as they enter the pipe market. The buyer heads off, and while the party is wandering the market, you here a number of small incidents of gunfire. On the way back out, they see a new person selling a weapon to the gun-runner. As they look closer, they'll see him put the same knock-off Westingkrupp back on his stall, with a small sign- 'One Unlucky Owner'

Thanks, so far

@Alesso: The "Gun running gag" is a good one. If the pc´s will not buy them, the weapon will end up in the hand of a thug that will be part of the heavies in "Gateway 17". Talking "bad luck bringer". 

My "market stalls" so far:
Each and every one of them is accompanied by one or three "hands" which help to move the goods to and from the market

The Wormbreeder
A small and somewhat hunched old hiver accompanied by two young one (which share some similiarities to him) standing next to a dozen (or so) 3-Liter semi-transparent plastic cans filled with a murky red substance. In the bottles, there is movement from time to time. A  dirtyhand written shield made of cartonage offers "the sinophian kiss".
Chiron (the older one) and his sons sell the Sinophian Boreworm [see "Creatures Anathema"] to those who look for a more stylish method of torturing and/or execution, 50 throngelt a piece. "These beasts feed on meat, and meat is complicate to come by"

Dekko´s Devices
Dekko is an extraordinary tall figure drapped in layers of shaddy blue and grey coats, shirts, scuffles, gown, skirt. He wears unmatching murker graves and a respirator, coal pulle over the head at all times. Sells a number of hand-made devices (all looking similiar, none of them alike) which he claims to be multikeys for 120 a piece and 4 "stummers" for 20 a piece. 
"Dekko" is void born Recyklator (see IH) which fleed his ship. He now sells his services in the hive to make a living for a couple of years now. He still hides his identity to his best effort, since he found out that his ilk draws attention, and attention is a bad thing here. 
His multikeys are indeed hand made and he owns (stole) copies of patterns for that from his ship (some bounty hunters are still after him..). But he isn´t that skilled in building them. When some-one uses one of his multikeys on a lock, role 1w10*3. That the actual bonus one gets for that lock from the key (instead of the flat +30). His "re-furbished" stummers are quiet fine, so. 

The ServoSlaver
A bloated figure with a skin covered in pustles, oils and stiched-in tech-charms, the servo slaver offers three "re-rigged" Servitors: a standard servitor fitted with a nail gun, a pest control servitore, complete with small flamer and what looks to be a heavy industrial servitor. The ServoSlaver has access to an arcane device that helps him to "steal" a servitor (wiping most of his command codes / rewriting it so that he gains "command"). The will sell "his" servitors for 500 thrones each, complete with very long cloaks. He is an odditiy around the market, showing up only once ever two month. Always accompanied by what seems to be a gun servo skull.
The "ServoSlaver" is a renegade Technomat who was responsible for tending to servitores who was guilty of the hidden sins of research and re-enginieering. After he found out how to "re-programm" a servitor, he vanished from his family (which was put down by the Mechanicus later, as an example to the other Technomat families).

"Heather"
A women of indiscriminate age in brown and greyish robes and cloak with a load of cables along her throat that leads into the place that once was occupied by her lower jar, "Heather" show the signs of plasma burning on most of her exposed skin parts. Smeering herself with some blue gel every hour our so. She offers 10 plasma flasks (6 pistole; 4 basic) for standard price.

A low level Tech-Adpet in her forma live, she tended to plasma reactors and re-filling weapon flasks. After the Mechanicus threatend to turn her into a servitor as a flask filled by her damaged a plasma rifle, "Heather" fleed. She now buys/gathers empty flask and re-fills them (causing work for a whole team of technomats patching up "leaking" plasma conducts which she "tabs" all over the area). Since she has no means for proper pressure-sizing, her flask only offer  6 shots (pistole) or 4 shots (basic) and the weapon gains the "unreliable" quality.

Lazarus Blaze
No shortage on heretecs on this market, the alloy-suit clad "Lazarus Blaze" (not his real name) sells las weapons (which he and his hands break down before the transport and re-build at the market). Some of them are standard quality, most of them low quality and all of them have some modification to them (mostly overcharged). His "best buy" today is a rebuild long las (of good quality).

Glad you like it. I must admit, I got the idea from an old strip in either Inferno! or Warhammer Monthly, I forget which exactly.

Another possible idea would be a 'hab-block forger', selling false cognomen to the desperate and the stupid (and the PCs). Whether he has any skill at creating fake IDs is another matter, but I'd have him as a competent forger, who can do a pretty good job if the buyer is prepared to wait a while/come back later, and mot importantly, part with a little more of their hard-earned gelt. Most of the aliases on offer, however, will be cheap, not very convincing, and made beforehand, and he'll simply grab one which vaguely resembles the buyer. He'd also act to annoy the players if they ran through Rejoice... and failed to get sufficient invites to the Alabaster Court, and couldn't find a sufficiently skilled forger to get them in...

Thanks, Alesso

Enter "Old Ira", the Cognomen Forger

Ira is a bald elderly women whom dresses in a hivers patchwork-overcoat and greyish-green robes, accompanied by a battered looking portable cogitator, a cognom-reader device and a pictrecorder. Her "stall" is made up of a folding chair, folding table and two mean looking heavies.

Once, Ira worked for as a scribe for the Administratum, but that is a long-long time ago. Now, she forges cognomen for the criminals. False permittances and false ID. Lately, she was able to "buy" a lot ot Tantalus Combine Data. Mostly, "missing" people that do not seem to be missing this much.

"Old Ira" is not only something to flesh out the pipe market but a good lead to further contacts of "you-know-whom" [EdgeOfDarkness] since she bought data (the victims that where turned into chow afterward) and sold some forged cognomen to them. But the pc will only be able to use this lead if they do not blow there cover at the pipe market...otherwise, the market will simply "disappear", not be staged in this region again.

Enter "Jonner, the Vox Thief"
Jonner sells a small amount of used looking vox thief deveices (see IH). But this only his cover around here, since in truth he is an agetn of "you-know-whom" [Edge] who has a look on things in the Pipe Market. In addtion, his vox thief a modified. If one of his "thief-of-thief" devices is in range, he will be able to pick up anything the "thieves" are picking up. Nothing of direct uses, but "you-know-whom" is running this with many "black markets" in order to have a view extra ears.
Mainly, Jonners job is to have an eye out for investigators to warn his masters off if some-one seems to be on there trail. If the pc ask to obivous question or behave strange, there description will be reported...and if they are seen around "Gateway 17" or around any other "Area of Interested" they might be in for a little more trouble then usual.

So, here are my next own ideas/notes. Still, at least 7 to go...

[08] “Bolt Man” Carsten
A grizzled looking guy in an old military flak great coat, sporting an unkept red beart and big visorset covering the howl area around his guy. Openly carrying a bolt pistol and looking like trouble.
He is a thug from gunmetal city (and speaking with a heavy dialect; Checks for Low Gothic, anyone) which is the henchmen of a heretek building bolter rounds. And that is what he is offering. Bolter shells, 12 gelt a piece, right out of the pockets of his greatcoat.
Problem with the shells is, they lack punch (losing the “rending” quality), do not fly stable (-10 at long range, -30 at extreme range). But there is more then one reason why the procuding Hertek sells through Carsten: he is very good at “silencing complaints”.

[09] “Lucky” Lionel, the Narco Syndicate Connection
“Lucky” is a member of one of the Narco Syndicates, responsible for selling the Obscura to the nacro gangs. He hits the market every two weeks with a new delivery of five kilo Obscura. With much better quality, due to the Syndicate “new business partners” (see “Edge of Darkness”).
He is always accompanied by three goons, two of them syndicate and one of them an Agent of “you-know-whom” (“Edge…”).

Use the “Recidivist” stats for Lucky. Use the “Scum” for the syndicate goons, but enhance WS and BF by +8. Add Flakk Greatcoat and machine pistols and other weapons as you see fit for a well armed criminals. Use the “Agent” stats from “Edge of Darkness” for the third. Add heavy flakcoats to them and mesh vests to “Lucky”.

[10] Gundealer
A dealer of smuggled guns and ammo. Good quality weapons can be found here, as well as some choices from guns from the famous hive of Gunmetalcity (see IH).

Don't know if this might be a bit too similar to the guys you have but in thelast game I ran I had a gun dealer named Hanz. He seemed nice enough and claimed he could get a hold of most weapons. He had a special on Bolt PIstols and decieved a player who bought one... poor guy turned out he'd bought the Volg "Spitfire" Bolt Pistol. partido_risa.gif

Prostitutes, Mercenaries, Thugs for hire, Card Sharps, Find the Emperor, Wyrds (Fortune Tellers), Entertainers (Clowns, Puppeteers, Jugglers, Dancing Millisaurs - Verminspeaker), Pit Fights, Rotgut Booze, Dubious Pies (a Ratling), Slavers, Loan Sharks, "Reworked" Jewelry (fenced/ melted down).

Thanks, MDMann, but I am mostly looking for illegal goods that are (rather) easy to transport and will sell for a (rather) high price.

The "Pipe Market" is guarded by a band of mutant (which charge a "fee") and is held in a dangerous aera to disencourage "passerbys" & in order to hide from any unwanted attention.

"Fortunatly", my one of my three players canceld for this weekend, so I still have a week happy.gif

Possibly you could take an idea from the Ravenor series (I forget if it is in Ravenor or Ravenor Returned): 'found items' stall(s) selling objects recovered from the sludge in the sewer pipes- you could pay fairly little and get a miscellaneous item covered in crud, and maybe get lucky finding some lost jewellery, or a working piece of tech, or you could wind up paying good money for some crap-encrusted junk. The stall owners may even charge a small fee to clean the crud off an item so you can decide if you want it, with the proviso that if it turns out to be particularly valuable the item's price will go up drastically.

You pays your money, you takes your chances...

I know, that doesn't sound particularly appealing, or that likely to find high value, low bulk goods, but if you assume/rule that a popular place to dump bodies is the hive's sewage system, the odds go up, especially if the deceased was known for carrying a distinctive item of some kind, one that would be too hot to fence for several years. The killer may well decide to dump them without stealing it, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the support, everyone.

But I stumpled about a "failure" in my own story. Running the place as an "overall black market" isn´making too much sense, since the NarcoSyndicate will prefer a little more "privacy" for theire dealings. So, I will reduce this to there "private" brokerage place.

Still, thanks to anyone for the usefull ideas!