Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Millennium Falsehood

Are you more of a casual or hardcore player?

51 posts in this topic

I am a hardcore casual gamer.  I like optimizing my builds, I like trying new tactics.  I ask for and give no quarter.  I play to the best of my abilities and if I forget an ability, I go with it.  I like joining tournaments as it gives me a good variety of builds to play against.

However, I am very casual at the game table.  I celebrate both my opponent's and my good rolls, I boo both our bad rolls.  If playing a new player, I remind him about taking actions.  When in dispute of a rule, we look at the rulebook or if we can't find it, we roll dice or flip coins to see whose interpretation "wins" and then go with that.  I always shake hands with my opponent afterwards and thank him for the game.

I love winning, but I do it clean.  I would rather win than lose, but losing a hard-fought battle is very fun as well.  As long as there are smiles all around the game table, it's a win for me anyway.

This is pretty close to me as well. I don't know about "optimizing" builds, but I do try to form coherent lists. Upgrades aren't just thrown on willy-nilly. I've also only been to one tournament so far. But I do love trying out new squads. (At aforementioned tournament, I took second with a squad of my own design: something fun that I knew how to fly).

The rest of the above post is just **** good sportsmanship. It's the way we should all approach every game, be it at a "hardcore" or "casual" table. I enjoy every game much, much more (and so do my opponents) when I can congratulate other players on their good fortune and play, as well as laugh off my own bad luck and mistakes.

I lost a game at GenCon to a good opponent whom I was previously undefeated against. At one point, he forgot to roll an additional defense die and when I pointed that out, it gave him the save he needed to keep his guy alive. Would I have won if he didn't? Probably not, but even if I had the victory would not have felt as good as the loss.

Plainsman and admat like this

Casual since I don't get to play much more than twice a month at my local store. People buy the game and never come in to play it =/

mazz0 likes this

Mostly casual, but when there is a tournament I can easily transition into hardcore mode. Still keeping it casual enough that I don't whine about everything my opponent is doing right or wrong. Reminding them about stuff and having fun playing the game, trying out different builds like Horton w/ torpedoes + Jan Ors..

Also it is mostly 1-2 times a week I play the game. Missions, dogfights, epics, tournaments.. everything goes!

I just want bigger scene here in Helsinki, Finland. Sweden is doing so much better in that regard :P

Edited by Hwarangdaem

Casual all the way! Although I suspect many of us here saying casual would appear hardcore to some people (this is a dedicated forum after all).

I guess I'm hardcore, though that also seems to imply a cut-throat attitude towards playing, which I definitely don't have. Also, if I were to consider myself really hardcore, I would hope to be better at the game than I am.

So, I'll consider myself hardcore only because I spend a lot of time on it, I've been to a few tournaments and have even won one, and I frequently play down at a couple of the FLGSs.

I build/prefect squads every day, but have never yet played in a tournaments. Sooooo I guess I'm a hardcore casual.

I'd have let the guy off who made the mistake in the nationals recently. I also want to win. I'd rather win based on superior skill as opposed to taking advantage of my opponent forgetting to follow a process without fail.

DagobahDave, Samhamwich and admat like this

I don't try to go hard core tournament style, but I do want to make effective builds.

I'm also very interested in seeing way out interesting effective builds just to see cool combos.

admat likes this

I want to try everything at least once. I don't get upset when I lose. I always shake hands after a battle, no matter the outcome. That probably means I'm a casual player.

I do like to play the game often, and put in the effort to organize an X-Wing community in my area. I set up and run tournaments and other special events, so I'm pretty serious when it comes to organization and enabling others to have fun.

admat likes this

I'd have let the guy off who made the mistake in the nationals recently. I also want to win. I'd rather win based on superior skill as opposed to taking advantage of my opponent forgetting to follow a process without fail.

What's the story here?

I am definitely hardcore about being casual...

I did the whole FLGS thing all in the 90's. I was a manager of a popular game store where I ran the miniatures department. I was that guy everybody asked model and hobby questions of.

"What should I get for my army?"

"How do I paint this?"

My company went to cons, and I went with friends to several GW Gamesdays in Baltimore.

All of that was about fifteen years ago.

Now I am back into the miniatures and it is all very cool and fun, because it is no longer a business nor do I have any sort of tournament mentality whatsoever.

Fly Casual...

:)

Like to optomize my builds but my builds are all about trying out what ships i got since my last game. Means i prefer 150pt games just to try out as many of my new toys as possible.

My main opponent is my 10 yr old son. 25% of the time I fly something to beat him. 25% of the time I fly something for him to beat me. The other 50% of the time I fly something just for the heck of it.

I like building new squads, challenging myself against others, and trying to do well. I enjoy trying new things and excelling at them, in this sense, I am pretty competitive.

But if the competition quits being fun first and foremost, then I won't bother.

I am one of those Hardcore players. I build to my style of playing and that may not always fit the trends in the meta. I care a lot about winning. I am a student of the game strategy and love to learn new and better tactics. All along the way not being a d**k.

Joostuh and Blail Blerg like this

I consider myself more of the casual player although I do try and get at least 1 of each ship. As for now I simply don't have the time and money to go to places like Gen Con and participate in tournaments that are not at a local store. Also I am somewhat new just getting into the game during Wave 3 right before Wave 4 released, then loved it and dumped some more money to collect all the ships I could find.

I am just having fun but I decided I want to have enough pieces so that I could play with another person who may not have their own set so that they can just use mine. Now while I would like to play an Epic or scenario I find myself playing the standard 100 point tournament/league format because that is all that is played during X-wing night at the local store I frequent. Most other miniature stores only have Warhammer and HordMachines matches going on there. X-wing is still small compared to those 2 giants of the hobby.

I'm all about good competition. To me, there is nothing less satisfying than a cakewalk for either me or my opponent. While a game won or lost by a hair gets me hyped up for days!

admat and ObiWonka like this

Casual with a hardcore need to get some plays in, I just started and have only played 4 games.

I don't see my self playing any kind of tournament.

Edited by bmwrider

My main opponent is my 10 yr old son. 25% of the time I fly something to beat him. 25% of the time I fly something for him to beat me. The other 50% of the time I fly something just for the heck of it.

In a few years you'll regret not crushing him 100% of the time when he starts to get better at stuff than you, WHY you'll say WHY DID I LET HIM WIN?

So this may come across as harsher than I mean it to, but I think it needs to be said:

Why are we willing to accept this false binary?

Casual and hardcore don't even come close to describing the range of player possibilities and, I'd argue, using them as broadly as we do actually hurts the game.

Casual can mean that Joe doesn't play power squads and just plays thematic lore appropriate teams, but it can also mean that he doesn't really fully understand (or care) about the rules of the game. He can make glaring tactical errors or illegal maneuvers, but then be a whiny git when you point that he's actually cheating. "Hey man, I just play casually. Don't bring your hardcore style here. I just want to have fun."

Susan, conversely, may be a hardcore player who studies the game. She ignores theme and looks for powerful combos, playing Fat Chewie, TIE Swarms, and Echo exclusively. She, however, is a gracious and courteous opponent who laughs with you and offers insightful advice over a shared bottle of wine and she mercilessly grinds your fun fleet into spacedust.

Being nice does not necessarily have anything to do with degree of casual play and pretending that it does only encourages poor play. Playing well or with powerful fleets is no crime against gentlemanly conduct.

Tom may be a rules lawyer who only flies Y-Wings, **** a hospitable host who lets you build his fleets, and Harry a reckless gambler who takes risks with unusual combos but then sulks if they fail. Are they casual or hardcore? Who knows and who cares. They play with their friends and, apparently, have fun with them.

So am I casual or hardcore? I play to win, but don't play in tournaments because the nearest are an hour away in Austin. I theory craft and build new squads, but I usually let my opponents decide what they are most interested in playing against and build that archetype for them. I post and read these forums, but not as much as our dominant members. Ultimately, we have fun. Winning is the sweetest, but defeat is never too bitter.

TL;DR - Different people have different types of fun and casual versus hardcore isn't very helpful in defining players.

Edited by BaronFel
dmiitrie likes this

I've got some mixed elements of both. When I started playing I found a squad I loved to play, it consisted of my favorite ships, it was challenging to fly, but could perform very well if played properly. So I have a single list I play in life or death. I'm hardcore in terms of learning my list inside out, always trying to learn from my mistakes, and I'm casual in terms of playing with the ships I love, completely disregarding whether they're good or bad, enjoying good games with my friends.