Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LibrariaNPC

Species Statting: Miraluka

36 posts in this topic

One of my long-time players is doing a pretty sizeable commute (crossing state lines and all) to start joining in on my game and has been pitching a few ideas he had since my old d6 campaign but wouldn't get far off the ground.

One of the ideas he's really been leaning towards is playing a Miraluka. As I've had notes about how to stat them since I got my hands on EotE, I figured I should ask and see what others think about the notes so I can finally flesh them out.

==Approach 1==

My initial approach was the following:

Human Statline (all 2)

All Miraluka are Force Sensitive and have a Force Rating of 1

All Miraluka gain the Sense Power.

Force Sight: Miraluka see through the Force. They are immune to effects that would physically blind them, and can for all intents and purposes "see." If thier connection with the Force is removed, they are blind.

Bonus Skill: Miraluka are given a free rank in Discipline. It cannot be raised above 2 at character creation.

80 XP

==Approach 2==

Agility 1; Willpower 3

All Miraluka are Force Sensitive and have Force Rating 1

Force Sight: Miraluka see through the Force. They are immune to effects that would physically blind them, and can for all intents and purposes "see." If thier connection with the Force is removed, they are blind.

Bonus Skill: All Miraluka are given a free rank in Discipline. It cannot be raised above 2 at character creation.

90 XP

==Other Thoughts==

I was looking through some older RPG notes, and they are a bit all over the place. The d6 version reduces their Perception (Cunning) while leaving the rest of their stats at the human level, while the d20 version reduces Dexterity (Agility) and raising Intelligence (Intellect). As Intelligence operated a number of Force Powers, it did make sense.

The first approach leans toward making them like every other human, only giving them the ability to see through the Force and giving them the Sense power (which I felt was a prerequisite to seeing through the force). The second approach was a nod to how we see the Mirailan and Chiss were statted as near-humans.

Any input on how to make this playable? Think it's reasonably balanced or should I stick with ships?

The problem with the first option is that a force power is way better than any other species bonuses out there. 

Starting a character with a free force rating doesn't seem fair unless you are also willing to give your other players something of equal value. I think removing setbacks due to light (or lack of) should be plenty. That alone is pretty significant.

The problem with the first option is that a force power is way better than any other species bonuses out there. 

Starting a character with a free force rating doesn't seem fair unless you are also willing to give your other players something of equal value. I think removing setbacks due to light (or lack of) should be plenty. That alone is pretty significant.

I agree that it is a significant bonus, but I've also nuked 10XP from them for that rating.

If it helps, here's the logic I used to approach it:

--Acquiring a second specialization (Force Sensitive) will cost a character 20 XP and gives them both the Force Rating and the talent tree. Charging 10XP for the first Force Rating with no talent tree seemed balanced cost-wise (half the price of the tree with only half the benefits). I was debating up to 15 for it, but that seemed overkill.

An alternative was enforcing that they acquired the Force at character creation, but it seemed like forcing the character to be something drastically different than what is planned.

--The species is entirely Force Sensitive, some stronger in the force than others, which is why I've had the debate as to how to handle it. Force Sight was a good start as it basically works like Sense without a roll and without feeling like a radar (as it just covers sight), but it feels odd to give an ability directly tied to the Force without granting a Force Rating to go with it,

On that note, if Force Rating 1 stays: should I note that the Force Rating does NOT go up by purchasing another career? The careers state that the character gets Force Rating 1 and not +1, 

As a note, both d6 and d20 both automatically made them Force Sensitive (d6 was a write-off, while d20 gave the Feat for free and gave a bonus of the Sense feat), which is the statistical guideline I have to work with.

--In F&D, we see that the careers that grant a Force Rating are also shy two career skills, but otherwise function like normal careers. The Force Sensitive careers in EotE and AoR do not offer career skills at all, but still give the Force Rating. This sets the Force Rating between 10XP (the cost of two career skills at rank 1) and priceless.

--With my notes, I've been debating constantly whether or not they should have a bonus skill at all if they are walking around with a Force Rating. On one hand every species so far has been given a free skill, but none of them have been given a Force Rating. Perhaps I should remove that to make it a bit better off?

All said and done, would you think Option 2 without the skill and dropped to 80XP as a proper balancing act? I don't think an official species is that low yet, but it's an option at the very least as it takes away a decent bit from a character who automatically has the Force.

It looks like you're pretty bound to giving them FR1 and free access to the Sense power.  It is a pretty powerful ability, and so far the devs have refrained from making any race inherently Force-Sensitive.  Think about what this means--every member of the race actively uses the Force.  It's going to make Force use much more prevalent in the game.  I'd prefer a standard 100 points with a free rank in Discipline and the special power to not be blinded by mundane means.  I think that captures the feel of the race without deviating from the way other races work.

If you're set on it, however, make them standard Humans, give them the FSE spec for free and the Sense power, and start them at 70 XP (20 XP for a second spec and 10 XP for the Sense power).  If you go this way, make sure to remember that they already have 2 specs when they start buying stuff with experience.  As you wrote it, in addition to saving 10 pts on the Force Rating (and I think it's iffy that the FR is only worth 10), you're also saving them an additional 10 points each time they buy a new spec, since they didn't have to buy FSE to get FR1.  It's actually quite powerful.

Remember that if you give everyone a Force rating you're basically making it very inexpensive for a starting character to start moving stuff with their mind, shooting Force lightning, etc.  I don't think that fits the race at all.

Personally, as a player I'd prefer to use the standard Human and have the choice of whether to buy the spec and power.  I don't believe every member of the race needs it, particularly if you give them the special ability to see and not be blinded.  If you want a unique race, go either all 2's or a 3/1 with a rank in a skill (Discipline is fine; it fits for a race who's attuned to the Force) and the ability to see through the Force and not be blinded by mundane means.

It looks like you're pretty bound to giving them FR1 and free access to the Sense power.  It is a pretty powerful ability, and so far the devs have refrained from making any race inherently Force-Sensitive.  Think about what this means--every member of the race actively uses the Force.  It's going to make Force use much more prevalent in the game.  I'd prefer a standard 100 points with a free rank in Discipline and the special power to not be blinded by mundane means.  I think that captures the feel of the race without deviating from the way other races work.

If you're set on it, however, make them standard Humans, give them the FSE spec for free and the Sense power, and start them at 70 XP (20 XP for a second spec and 10 XP for the Sense power).  If you go this way, make sure to remember that they already have 2 specs when they start buying stuff with experience.  As you wrote it, in addition to saving 10 pts on the Force Rating (and I think it's iffy that the FR is only worth 10), you're also saving them an additional 10 points each time they buy a new spec, since they didn't have to buy FSE to get FR1.  It's actually quite powerful.

Remember that if you give everyone a Force rating you're basically making it very inexpensive for a starting character to start moving stuff with their mind, shooting Force lightning, etc.  I don't think that fits the race at all.

Personally, as a player I'd prefer to use the standard Human and have the choice of whether to buy the spec and power.  I don't believe every member of the race needs it, particularly if you give them the special ability to see and not be blinded.  If you want a unique race, go either all 2's or a 3/1 with a rank in a skill (Discipline is fine; it fits for a race who's attuned to the Force) and the ability to see through the Force and not be blinded by mundane means.

Fully understandable on all counts and a very well written response.

My one argument on the Force Rating with Specializations: all characters who start as a Career in Force and Destiny gain Force Rating 1, so unless those careers are barred, the XP hit and requirement you are suggesting becomes a pretty big hindrance.

On my first writing, the Sense power was included because we didn't have an example of sight through the Force without it, which lead to my approach with Force Sight as an ability.

I did wonder if an approach like with the Gand would be fitting; give them that XP back if they had a Force Career or not,

Anyway, for the sake of argument and balance, how does this look:

Agility 1. Willpower 3.

Wounds: 10+Brawn

Strain: 11+Willpower

Bonus Skill: All Miraluka begin the game with one rank in Discipline due to their connection with the Force.

100 XP

I still feel like it is missing something due to the species' inherent Force Sensitivity. How does this approach sound:
90 XP
Force Sensitive: All Miraluka are born Force Sensitive with varying degrees of connection to the Force. As Force Sensitives, they may purchase talents and careers as though they were Force Sensitive, but have an effective Force Rating of 0.

Mechanically, this will allow a Miraluka who is not starting with an F&D Career to purchase one of those careers after character creation and use Force Talents. It's an extra balancing act for players who don't want an army of spoon benders breaking the game.

Any opinions?
Green Tangent likes this

Why have you chosen agility as the  1 stat? Any particular reason?

I think the bit about force sight is enought , maybe make them FR1 too but give them no powers (and yes 10 xp less is a good comprimse), but that's not necessary. From the fluff i alwsy had the impression that they fully realized they force potential through jedi training but the normal miraluka didn't have any force power.

Do you plan to make the force sight different from normal sight? if it works like in KOTOR they would be able to see light force users and dark force users even if they hide it, and also see through walls (which is quite powerful) but they don't see colors.

I can understand why the developers  avoided statting them, it seems a kida nightmare to make them balanced.

Why have you chosen agility as the 1 stat? Any particular reason?

I think the bit about force sight is enought , maybe make them FR1 too but give them no powers (and yes 10 xp less is a good comprimse), but that's not necessary. From the fluff i alwsy had the impression that they fully realized they force potential through jedi training but the normal miraluka didn't have any force power.

Do you plan to make the force sight different from normal sight? if it works like in KOTOR they would be able to see light force users and dark force users even if they hide it, and also see through walls (which is quite powerful) but they don't see colors.

I can understand why the developers avoided statting them, it seems a kida nightmare to make them balanced.

Of all the things to stat, Miraluka and the Anzati are the biggest nightmares in my opinion.

Regardless, I was looking at making Force Sight like normal sight for all intents and purposes. The seeing through walls thing is more like the sense power when you think about it.

As for the agility hit, I mentioned that the d20 version reduced dexterity (agility) but raised intelligence (intellect). As the d6 version reduces perception (not quite cunning, as that fills just a single aspect), I thought the agility hit seemed more appropriate in comparison.

Edited by LibrariaNPC

As for the agility hit, I mentioned that the d20 version reduced dexterity (agility) but raised intelligence (intellect). As the d6 version reduces perception (not quite cunning, as that fills just a single aspect), I thought the agility hit seemed more appropriate in comparison.
My guess for the reasoning behind his choice is that agility is the stat of choice for interacting with far-away objects (through the ranged() and piloting() skills). Miraluka can make up for their inability to see by sensing the world around them through the force, but I imagine that's their focus would be on objects in their immediate vicinity.
LibrariaNPC likes this

As for the Miraluka's "force sight" the easiest way to handle it would be that they ignore all setback dice imposed by darkness or lack of lighting.  Their force sight functions enough like real sight that I wouldn't give them any further perks beyond the removing setback dice.

I also would steer clear of having Miraluka start with Force Rating 1, or even defaulting to being able to pick up Force-sensitive only talents, as that circumvents the need for any of the Force-sensitive specs and allows them to start buying Force Powers right away.  And some players may want to play a Miraluka that isn't actually Force-sensitive.

kaosoe, sonovabith and dougansf like this

I really like approach one, and I think that Miraluka should have a force rating as standard. They are known for their force sensitivity.

But I agree that giving them a power right out the gate is too much. Perhaps a compromise.

Go with option one, but no force power. Just Force Rating 1 and Force Sensitive. If they ever take Force Sensitive Exile as a Career they'd gain +1 to their Force Rating. This would give the option of having a FR 2 character out of the gate, but you'd be pigeonholed into a specific race and would only have 60 XP effectively.

I'd go with this, or just keep option 1 with no changes. Either way, you'd need to go with the understanding that this could be potentially very powerful and that you shouldn't have a party full of Miralukas. Maybe give extra starting XP to the others if a Miraluka is part of the party.

I like the idea of making it slightly different from normal sight, it could still be a little too strong if one PC could immediately rat out any dark/light side users in the area. Although my understanding was that all they could see was alignment. So a very evil non-force sensitive individual would still have a dark side aura about them. So you could really just tell if someone was bad or good, but only in a objective assessment. They wouldn't be able to tell if a guy is trying to rip them off, just that he really isn't a nice guy.

So functionally, it would usually be just like normal vision. But it would work regardless of light or other environmental factors such as cover(but cover might still mean its difficult to hit them with a blaster, so still a black die on ranged attacks. Just because you can see him hiding behind the rock doesn't mean the rock isn't still blocking your shot) and you'd be able to get a general feel for someone's alignment.

You could easily give out a lot of red herrings with this.

"That child over there is just glowing with light side energy(he is force sensitive but just a street urchin not important to the story)"

"The guy following you is dully pulsing with the energy of the dark side(not force sensitive, just a bad dude)"

Maybe some kind of Perception and/or Vigilance bonus, to allow for their sight? And maybe, MAYBE, they can make a Perception check to be able to tell someone's Morality at a glance (failure they're inscrutable, success could mean within 10, each advantage get's you a more precise number, threats the opposite, despair means you think you're right, even if you're wrong, not sure about triumph). Maybe they get a boost die if the person's a Light side paragon or dark sider, or maybe that could determine difficulty (like, average for over 70/under 30, easy for over 90/under 10, hard for everything else?), and if the person has the force maybe they could use Stealth to oppose it? Just some thoughts, though I don't know if it's worth the effort to actually stat up.

Why is giving them a power out of the gate too overpowered, if the appropriate XP is deducted right off the bat?  I think I'd go something like this...

Miraluka

Brawn: 2, Agility: 2, Intellect: 2, Cunning: 2, Willpower: 2, Presence: 2

Wound Threshold: 8 + Brawn

Strain Threshold: 12 + Willpower

• Force Sight:  Miraluka view the world around them through the Force.  They cannot be blinded by normal means, and remove any setback dice added due to low light or darkness.  They can also make a Perception check to read another being's Morality, opposed by the being's Willpower/Discipline.
  • Force-Imbued: Miraluka begin with either the Force Sensitive Exile or Force Sensitive Emergent specialization. (For the purposes of spending XP, this counts as a second specialization.)
  • Force Sense: Miraluka begin with the Sense base power.

XP: 90

Now... explanations by virtue of XP.

If we start them off near-human - with stats of 2 straight across the board - and give them the same starting 110XP humans possess, let's immediately reduce the number by 20 for FSEm or FSEx, whichever the player chooses.  Now let's knock another 10 points off for the Sense base power.  That puts them at 80.  Now... let's give them back 20 for not taking a human's two free non-career skills (each of which would normally cost 10xp).  They're sitting at 100xp, right?  Okay... now that Force Sight thing.  Call it what, 10xp?  So their total is 90xp.

Sound reasonable?

Edited by Simon Fix
Himsett and Josep Maria like this

No Career or Specialization grants Force Rating +1 as part of selecting and purchasing it.  Force-Senstive Exile and Emergent (as well as all of the beta Force and Destiny careers) grant Force Rating 1, but this is not the same thing as Force Rating +1.  A character who purchases Exile and Emergent is still Force Rating 1 until they purchase the "Force Rating +1" talent from either or both trees.

LibrariaNPC likes this

No Career or Specialization grants Force Rating +1 as part of selecting and purchasing it.  Force-Senstive Exile and Emergent (as well as all of the beta Force and Destiny careers) grant Force Rating 1, but this is not the same thing as Force Rating +1.  A character who purchases Exile and Emergent is still Force Rating 1 until they purchase the "Force Rating +1" talent from either or both trees.

... which is exactly why it's not such a big deal to start them out with Force Rating 1 or one of the Force-Sensitive Universal Specializations if the appropriate XP is deducted anyway.

I've been working on a miraluka species since quite early on. I even discussed it here and on the d20radio forums I think. I've settled on nothing.

Although I have toyed with an idea that is also presented above here, to let Miraluka count as force sensitive, even with a FR of 0.

And I agree with Dono on the Force Sight just removing setback dice for concealment/darkness, at least two if not three setback dice I'd say.

I'm not sure what more they need, perhaps a rank in Vigilance or Perception?

On second thought removing setback dice and making them immune to blinding is enough for Force sight.

I'd also raise their willpower to 3 to account for an innate affinity to the Force.

kaosoe likes this

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

My guess for the reasoning behind his choice is that agility is the stat of choice for interacting with far-away objects (through the ranged() and piloting() skills). Miraluka can make up for their inability to see by sensing the world around them through the force, but I imagine that's their focus would be on objects in their immediate vicinity.

There isn't anything set in stone about this, but I think you might be right. It could also be tied with how a Miraluka "sees." Perhaps a Miraluka sees things as concepts instead of how we do, which causes a certain degree of maladroitness. 

So from the consensus here, it sounds as though this writeup would be best:

Agility 1. Willpower 3.

Wounds: 9+Brawn

Bonus Skill: All Miraluka begin the game with one rank in Discipline or Perception due to their connection with the Force.

Force Sight: Miraluka do not have eyes but are able to see through the Force.  If their connection with the Force is removed, they are blind. Remove up to 3 setback dice caused by "environmental conditions" (i.e. lighting) and cannot be blinded by normal means. Note that effects of cover still apply.

100 XP

Now, the following points are still under contention:
--"Morality Sight": As interesting as it is, I really don't like it. It reminds me too much of Paladin's and their ability to Detect Evil. Sure, it isn't spot on, but it's pretty close and may lead to some ways that will either stall the game or moe it too quickly. I'd rather leave this with the Force Power: Sense.

--Force Rating 0 or 1: I see the argument that they are all Force Sensitive with varying degrees and why this point is contested. I dislike the pidgeonhole of packing them into a Force Career because it doesn't always make sense; it'd be like saying a Wookiee always has to be a Hired Gun, or that a Gand must always be a Bounty Hunter, which is why I avoid it. 
Force Rating 0 seems underpowered to some and overpowered to others, while Force Rating 1 seems spot on for some and overpowered to others. 
As a compromise to Donovon Morningfire's comment: Perhaps players should have the option, like with a lunged vs lungless Gand to pay 10XP for this in-depth connection to the Force (again, discounted perk from the career without taking the career)? This will also allow for (mehanically) non-Force Sensitive Miraluka.
My Logic: all beings have the potential to be Force Sensitive, but this is a species that is born with a much stronger connection than most and the majority are legitimately Force Sensitive. Mechanically they still need to pay for powers and they are paying the XP for it, but they are losing out on having the career that goes with it (and the bonuses, like the talents, it implies). This will allow a Miraluka during the suggested timeline to be any career at the start and pick up a few powers that the GM allows (like Sense, as it makes perfect sense) without having the be a Force Career/Jedi Offshoot at the get-go.

--Discipline vs Perception vs Vigilance: I personally like Discipline as it shows that connection with the Force and, should they acquire the Sense power and the GM is using the contested Force Power roll, Discipline will be on of the primary skills for it. Perception could work as that connection with the Force enhances their ability to notice things. Vigilance fits in a way, but it makes me feel like it's too much of a radar, and as we have been discussing on the capabilities of a Miraluka and their connections to the Force, I feel as though it'd be better to leave that one well enough alone.

Any other input, here?
bradknowles likes this

the only official statistics in a Star Wars PnP was from Wizards SAGA edition. Should be fairly easy to convert them to FFG

SAGA

-2 DEX, +2 INT

Force Sight: can "see" by using the Force (passive). read and write as a normal person. ignore the effects of darkness. creatures that are invisible to the force (Yuuzhan Voing, Ysalamiri) cannot be detected by Miraluka. Ignores all penalties to Perception checks from cover or concealment.

Bonus Feat: A miraluka who has Use the Force as a trained skill gains Force Training as a bonus feat.

FFG

Brawn: 2, Agility: 1, Intelligence: 3, Cunning: 2, WIllpower: 2, Presence: 2

Force Sight: as described above

Starting XP: 100

Special Abilities: Miraluka with a Force Rating of 1, obtain a Force Talent of a Cost of 5 for free (no cost) cost.

the only official statistics in a Star Wars PnP was from Wizards SAGA edition. Should be fairly easy to convert them to FFG

False. The Miraluka were originally statted in the 1996 supplement "Tales of the Jedi Companion" for West End Games' Star Wars RPG.

I will note that I did mention a lot of this previously, but I'll reiterate it again.

In the d6 version of the game, their Perception rating (closest to that trait-wise is Cunning) has a minimum of 1 instead of 2, but it's maximum goes up to 5 (while other stats cap at ). This doesn't translate well, which is why I didn't use the d6 statline directly.

The d6 version also gets Force Sight, which basically allows them to see as long as they are not disconnected from the Force. It is also assumed that they are all Force Sensitive (which is something that cost nothing in that edition; you just checked a box and called it good).

They were also statted in the Ultimate Alien Anthology for the d20 version of the RPG. In that version, they had -2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence; the Agility was due to a vision/long distance hand-eye coordination issue while the Intelligence was boosted due to most Force powers relating to Sense were tied to Intelligence.

As in the d6 version, they had Force Sight to allow them to see normally regardless of lighting (no penalty due to Blindness).

They were also given Force-Sensitive as a Bonus Feat, and if they start with a Force-using class, they gain Sense for free.

Note: This writeup inspired the Agility hit and the Force Rating 1 with Sense.

The final version, the one you offered, is from the SAGA edition (note: not the "only" version) and is essentially a tweaked/simplified version of the d20 version.

As for your writeup: You are giving them far too much for nothing.

A Human, who doesn't get a stat boost or special ability and sits at 10+ Brawn and Will for Wounds and Strain, is at 110 XP.

A Twi'lek is at 100 XP and gets a stat boost, can choose between two skills to boost, gets 10+ Brawn Wounds and 11+Will strain, and remove setback due to hot and arid conditions.

Trandoshans, on the other hand, Gain 12+Brawn for wounds and 9+Will for strain (not quite offset, but close!), Claws and Regeneration (limited usage, but still!) but only has 90XP.

A Gand also gains the stat boost, is limited on the skill, and has to choose between having lungs (and therefore always needing a rebreather, which gives them +10XP) or being immune to suffocation. They get 100XP unless they have lungs, at which point they are basically on par with humans.

In Suns of Fortune, we have the Selonians with stat boosts, a skill boost, a useful tail and removal of setback dice from darkness, and they only get 90XP.

With what you offered, Miraluka are getting the perks for taking a specialization (that costs 20XP unless you start with it) as well as a free 5XP talent. As we also don't have an official species without a skill bonus, you'd need to factor that in.

Your writeup is probably closer to the 90XP mark, and even then doesn't feel balanced, nor does it make much sense (as Intellect is NOT directly tied to Force powers; Willpower and the Discipline skill are).

That said, I still think the more balanced approach is:

Agility 1. Willpower 3.

Wounds: 9+Brawn

Bonus Skill: All Miraluka begin the game with one rank in Discipline or Perception due to their connection with the Force.

Force Sight: Miraluka do not have eyes but are able to see through the Force.  If their connection with the Force is removed, they are blind. Remove up to 3 setback dice caused by "environmental conditions" (i.e. lighting) and cannot be blinded by normal means. Note that effects of cover still apply.

100 XP

I'm still balancing this last part, here, but I think it could work.
Special: Force Connectivity: All Miraluka are connected to the Force, but some have a stronger connection than others. A player character creating a Miraluka in a non-Force and Destiny campaign may, at Character Creation, purchase Force Rating 1 or a Force-Sensitive Universal Specialization (Force-Sensitive in Exile or Force-Sensitive Emergent) for 10XP.
(Debating on allowing a Force and Destiny Miraluka a cheaper Sense power, a free Sense upgrade, or allowing them to purchase one other Force-based Specialization as an in-career tree).

Suggested Miraluka Template:

Brawn Agility Intellect Cunning Willpower Presence

2         2       2                 3                2                    1

Wound Threshold: 9+Brawns

Strain Threshold: 11+ Willpower

Starting XP: 100

Special Abilities:

Adapted Sight- The Miraluka have adapted to environments with low to no natural light from living on their homeworld, using the force combined and other senses to make up for the eyes they once had. The sight of a Miraluka is not based off of eyesight and is therefore not affected by things which rely on it. Normal telescopes are useless for instance, and a dark room or a bright light does not affect a Miraluka. The Miraluka must select a primary sense that they base their perception on at creation and may be bonuses or drawbacks based on what sense they select, as Infrared Sight for heat, Auditory Sight for sound, Force Sight for the force. A Miraluka that has a force rating 1 gains Force Sight automatically additionally a Miraluka with no force rating that selects Force sight is considered force sensitive despite the lack of force rating, but cannot activate or learn abilities that require using one (They have no die to roll, and aren't powerful enough to pick up sense, but they can activate sixth sense or learn to wield a light saber for instance.) They also suffer penalties to checks which require perception due to weak vision unless they gain a force rating however they may choose a secondary sense to try to cover the penalties (such as auditory sight) and may receive a single boost for having 1 or more force rating which must be available. The selection is typically fairly permanent, however the GM may allow him to change it later on by adapting to a different sense.

benefits:

Infrared Sight: The character is primarily adapted to seeing in terms of Hot and Cold.

The Miraluka sight can pick out objects that are warmer or colder than the surrounding environment making it easier to spot them. This can reduce the difficulty of perception checks by 1 and gain a boost on other checks at the GM’s discretion, on the reverse hand when an object or creature is similar in temperature it may increase the difficulty or give setback. This form of sight requires that some portion of skin sensitive area be revealed or only covered by things that do not block infrared, such as light visors on the face, goggles, or using the hands as for sensation.

Auditory Sight: The character uses the sense of hearing to form shapes and silhouettes in his mind.

The Miraluka may gain boosts to checks when you can utilize sounds (such as tapping on a lock or listening to the clicking of a combination), however very loud noises may cause setback as do things that lower hearing (such as earplugs), additionally anything that deafens the character also renders them blind and they must have an audible amount of sound to see properly. (The Miraluka may make quiet clicking noises if they wish though, which may affect stealth checks)

Force Sight:  The character relies on the force to see.

If the Miraluka ever has a Force Rating of one or higher he also gains this sight, characters that do not have a normal Force Rating of 1 or higher (Prior to committing die) receive a penalty (two setback) to their perception checks if the force is their primary sight but may select a secondary form of sight, which they can use to reduce or eliminate the penalty when applicable. Additionally, the character may receive up to one boost die when their force rating becomes 1 or higher if Force Sight is their primary vision. The character can otherwise see normally except they can see a creatures connection to the force and general alignment and they are not affected by darkness or bright light (but may be blinded by strong or absent force connections If primary sight is force-based). They must be successful at perceiving this creature in order to attempt to see if it’s living or not or determine what form of morality it has, however it may give a boost if it separates it from its surroundings.

Additional:
Stats analysis breakdown:

Brawn:  The Miraluka has physical strength roughly equal to a human, they are not generally any more or less capable of lifting or moving objects, growing muscles or pushing things than ordinary humans. Therefore they have a 2 Brawn.

Agility: The Miraluka’s physical characteristics and maneuverability are generally similar to that of a humans.  Despite being blind most Miraluka are just as perceptive if not moreso than humans as well and therefore one cannot argue any clumsier than any other human (Daredevil for example, just because he was blind did not mean he couldn’t rappel off walls and do ducks and rolls, Miraluka are a similar concept) They have the same number of fingers and toes and otherwise are just as dexterous as the average human.

Intellect: The Brain of a Miraluka is generally capable of processing information similar to humans, however it takes in more sensory information and the mind of a Miralukan is naturally more adaptive in that sense. Most Miraluka are capable of reading similar to a human, and many are force sensitive to at least some degree, they can read and learn fairly normally therefore have an average intelligence similar to humans.

Cunning: Again referencing the mind and senses of a Miraluka which are heightened, they tend to focus on the senses naturally, drawing upon hearing, touch, smell, and the sense of the force leads them to generally be a more perceptive race. Many of them who are not strong in the force pay close attention to their senses on a regular basis, listening into sounds for instance or focusing on their connection to the force. They are also generally a very perceptive species. Additionally when it comes to being faced with challenges such as Skullduggery their keen perception aids them with this tasking, generally any Miraluka that hasn’t impairment will face the lock on a door with great ability. Imagine a blind man listening to the sound of a combination lock clicking into place in a tumbler, combine that with the fact that many of them can also see into the lock itself… need I continue? Did I mention that many of them can perceive various means for picking up emotions, such as through the force, or your heartbeat, or your body temperature rising, with ease? Now the Miraluka while usually fairly honorable and peaceful, they are natural at Deception even beyond that of their sighted cousins the humans. Imagine even a normal man born blind, due to not relying on sight body language is pointless and much of their expressions are a bit more forced and easily forgotten. The Miraluka like to also wear masks to cover up their faces so even moreso this aspect of language would breed out of their species. After generations of sightlessness and largely covered faces most of their regular facial expressions would disappear, not to mention the fact that due to not seeing their eyes, uncovered or not, makes it impossible to read them. Their natural perception and ability to read moods could lead them to being very useful when dealing with underworld contacts and Streetwise assuming the Miraluka wouldn’t be too bothered by the loud noises or engaging in criminal activity, as they generally avoid confrontation. They could point you out the contacts very easily, and they are definitely proficient at avoiding being straightforward as they often prefer to lead to inferences and guide you to the answer. Their sensitivity makes it difficult to deal with confrontation due to typically wishing to avoid being yelled at, the loud noise, the anger and their other senses may get overwhelmed (Another reason why many who avoid fighting and combat, despite their natural prowess) They are also generally adept at survival, many of them can pick out living things naturally, forage for food and other things with ease.  Due to their natural benefits to most Cunning-Based skills I argue they would have at least a 3 cunning, above that of the average human.

Presence:  Many of the benefits that make Miraluka naturally cunning, also make them more shy and reclusive. Miraluka are sensitive, cover their faces and generally somewhat antisocial although not necessarily unfriendly. They are typically shy and while they can sense your emotions, many will have a hard time saying what they mean and make it difficult for negotiation.  Culturally many of them cover their faces when in front of other races because it’s easier to just pretend to be human, an indication that they generally aren’t very assertive. They also generally avoid the spotlight and try to avoid attention.  They are often attractive however they often are too shy to say anything that could be offensive. They are also generally very Passive and even docile.

Due to their natural weaknesses in social environments, I believe Miraluka call for a 1 Presence.

Wound: The physiology of Miraluka is similar enough to humans, however they are more sensitive and the pain of wounds is often stronger, leading them to avoid injuries and making wounds incurred slightly more aggravated. The higher sensitivity can lead to stronger emotional reactions, elevating heart rate, accelerating bloodless slightly. The differences aren’t too significant so they start with 1 less wound than humans for a total of 9+ Brawn.

Strain: The Miraluka mind is very flexible and adapts quickly, it also frequently focuses on the senses and is a bit more keen than most humans, leading to a slight increase in strain +1 over humans for a total of 11+Willpower.

Starting Experience:
The species benefits are generally similar to that of a Humans and most of them cancel out, their sight only gives a slight advantage in general and has many drawbacks.  They are generally as adaptable as humans and can perform many of the same jobs. Therefore I believe 100 xp sounds accurate to the

species.

Edit:

I agree with Mischelle, the species should start off with one rank in discipline and one rank in perception (Even possibly raising its perception above 3 at character creation like the correlion born humans can with piloting)

Edited by Balancetotheforce
miishelle likes this

I've also tried running my current Miraluka character with 2 cunning and then 3 cunning and it made a lot more sense. I was entirely frustrated rolling 2 ability for checks that I knew any miraluka would have an advantage on. I know all of you want to argue for the willpower 3 but I just see them with more strain than normal.

kaosoe and miishelle like this