Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
patox

CANON: CEC Imperial Gozanti-class cruiser

47 posts in this topic

On screen depictions are the absolute worst basis for precise measurements. You can get a general idea of how big something is supposed to be from them, but perspective and angle issues make trying to determe anything remotely reliable impossible, and that is multiplied by a factor of 10 when it comes to animation where things are likely to not even be drawn the same size from frame to frame.

I was using the model sheet not screen grabs

310concept01.jpg

Let me try my hand at these questions...[snip] 

1. Because these ships deserve their own thread. I'm sure you'll get over the inconvenience.

2. They're from SW:Rebels. I'm guessing this is from the new Visual Guide.

3. He's probably posting them because they're candidates for inclusion into our game. There was commentary at GenCon about the inlcusion of stuff from Rebels. Given that an Imperial Huge has to be in the works, this one in particular is at the top end of the short list.

4. I guess that depends on the particular interpretation of those terms. In So. Texas  'taco' is a soft-shell tortilla at roughly 10" diameter, whereas elsewhere they're about 5" diameter. Given that burrito is not that much bigger, it becomes a question of how hungry you are.  ... I'll have one lengua taco and the other barbacoa.

I suppose I did deserve that. :)

I didn't mean to come across quite as snarky as I originally came across, I just didn't quite know what to say to a picture of a ship--however cool--without context.

That said, I'd love to see an Imperial Gozanti. The Empire needs an epic ship and this one seems to fit the bill. With the "skirt" it has the right build and the concept of a carrier is certainly appealing, though I don't really know how that would work mechanically for a dogfighting game.

Where are you in South Texas? I'm in fairly central Texas, Waco-area.

FFG will get the scale right, even if this book gets them wrong. Remember a lot of sourcebooks like to put the HWK at Falcon length.

Because that is the size it SHOULD be, the size it looks like, and the size that was implied when it was introduced, and why using screen shots to determine sizes is a really bad idea.

The new show is drawing a lot of inspiration from the original McQuarrie art. The concept art for TIE fighters makes the wings smaller. It is an earlier version of TIE.

I'm really okay with this TIE being an earlier version.

Where did everyone end up on the old TIE fighter debate when the game first came out?

I ran numbers a long time ago, for a very different project, and I think I came out at around the 10m height. But maybe that was just for ease of calculation.

Just going visually here, I'd say the 10.8 looks too large.

pic2223531.jpg

Where did everyone end up on the old TIE fighter debate when the game first came out?

the problem with this picture is that the TIE fighter is completely scaled down, whwre if you watch Rebels, you'd see that it is only the wing sections that are smaller.

Furthermore, using wookiepedia as a reference is not a good idea. It is not a reliable source. Would you, or let a child, use wikipedia as a source for a school project?

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange
IMTOYS likes this

pic2223531.jpg

Excelent Rweferences I also made some research, based only at Movie Shots and ILM references, and found that FF have the right mesures and scales for the fighters. The Tie Fighter is much bigger than most of the models from Fine Molds and F-Toys (that is in the wrong scale (1/144), for the size of their model).

I agree, as seen on episode IV the Tie Fighet is 8.9m in length when you compare with some scenes on the battle of Yavin, you can clerlly see that the X-Wing is much smaller near the wingspan of the Tie Fighter.

So all the good models from Fine Molds (1/72 and 1/48) and F-Toys (1/144) from the Tie Fighter is wrong scaled. This is thrully sad.

I'm sure this isn't very helpful as I can't link to the exact Rebels Recon episode. But I remember one where they said they scaled the Rebels Tie Fighter less on the movie scale, and more on the toy scale from the 80's. Thus, bigger cockpit and smaller wings. Afterall, one look at the giraffe necked Star Destoryers and you figure the show is more into style over movie acurate scale.

Punning Pundit likes this

Correction on current canon. The following list is what is officially recognozed by Disney as canon:

Episode I

Episode II

Clone Wars (animated movie)

Clone Wars (animated series)

Episode III

Rebels (animated series)

Episode IV

Episode V

Episode VI

Episode VII (coming soon)

Rogue One (coming next year)

All novels starting with "A New Dawn"

All Marvel comics starting with "Star Wars" issue #1 from January 2015

So yeah why this thread was even started is weird because any Star Wars fan should have known that the Gozanti-class was seen in Episode I, and would still have been in service in the Rebels era. Know what is not known is whether FFG will/can use this ship until it makes an appearance during or post civil war era (which is where all of there Star Wars games are started and based in).

Edited by Bjorn Rockfist
Punning Pundit likes this

As of a couple months ago, Alex Davie said he'd not seen Rebels or Clone Wars. And since FF picks the ships, with Disney having a Veto, I'm pretty sure we can rule out a Gozanti, the Ghost, or any Rebels/Clone War ships for at least the next couple waves. :(

Know what is not known is whether FFG will/can use this ship until it makes an appearance during or post civil war era (which is where all of there Star Wars games are started and based in).

The Gozanti is in Age of Rebellion.