Sign in to follow this  
tiefanatic

Best Star Wars video game?

Empire at War was the first Star Wars game I got into, and I still remember fielding TIE Defender Swarms in Corruption. They'll toast anything. :D But my absolute favorite was Republic Commando. Blasting things to peices is so much more fun with Sev, Scorch, Fixer and Boss. Still hate Trados because of all the crap they put me and my squad through. If it wasn't for them, we'd still have o'l Sev to keep us company. And I love KoTOR, because, well, KoTOR.

Edited by RC 1162

Tough call as I fondly remember several titles since I was a kid.

Republic Commando:  Loved the blend of FPS and squad management.  Plus some of the missions were hard as hell.

Rogue Squadron 1:  The first PC game I ever bought and had a joystick to go with it, never beat it but had a lot of fun playing it.

Battlefront 1 and 2:  OF COURSE this is on my list, isn't it one everyone's?  2 had better gameplay in my opinion but there were some maps on 1 that I sorely missed like Bespin Platforms and Yavin 4 Temple.

1. X-wing vs Tie Fighter - The ultimate in star fighter simulation.

Rouge Leader (Rouge Squadron 2) - An arcadiey verson of X-wing but still fun.

Star Wars Battlefront - I actually liked this better than Battlefront 2, you felt like a boss when you learn how to kill the NPC Jedi heroes.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - good concepts but not so good execution. The non-Jedi heroes were under powered compared to the Jedi ones and the Space combat was a wreck. The capital ships only had 5 rooms to include the docking bay, you could also not control them.

Star Wars Empire at War - while they nailed the space combat the ground combat was something to be a little upsetting, more of a maze and completely restrictive it was more fun to simply watch the space battles then to play the ground game, however Star Wars OT didn't have that many ground battles.

SWG

Kotor I

Jedi Knight II

SWG was by far the best IMO. Pre-cu anyway.

One of my big regrets was never getting to play early SWG.  As a lore-before-game guy, I think I would have really digged the community.

It was amazing, it is sad that they don't make sandbox games anymore, even if it wasn't star wars based. The swgemu is going pretty well tho.

First and foremost, then as now the X-Wing series, with TIE-Fighter first among equals.

Then the single player shooters, Dark Forces and the sequels, Republic Commando, Force Unleashed is the flawed brother with so much potential. And yes, I know that Jedi Knight had multiplayer capabilities but those were never the main draw

Then the strats, EaW and Rebellion

The Lego's! great fun and remarkably able to bring back the atmosphere.

RPG's are up next

Then the rail shooters and Rogue Squadron's.

Then perhaps the Battlefronts and the old old games for the C64 and older.

The rest I haven't played or are just crap. :P.

Just play KOTOR on an iPad ;).

Personally, I prefer more story and less sandbox in my games, I always want to like stuff like Elder Scrolls but get too bogged down in innumerable side-quests. I don't have the time anymore to play these kinds of games in one sitting.

I always regret that I was never able to play Yoda Stories, since I so thoroughly enjoyed the Indiana Jones version.

In fact, I've enjoyed all of the Star Wars games I've played, but none have left me with as much nostalgia as Dark Forces I and II. If I had to weigh them against each other, I'd probably lean towards the former. TFU deserves honorable mention for being a simple game that was a blast to play. It had great characters, settings, and a plot I actually enjoyed.

Both Knights of the Old Republic games first and foremost.

And I actually really enjoy Galactic Battlegrounds; but I know a lot of folks detest the whole RTS foraging/building thing.

EDIT: Someone mentioned Yoda Stories. Sure wish that'd get repopped. What a little bit of short, mindless fun.

Edited by IG-58

Personally, I prefer more story and less sandbox in my games, I always want to like stuff like Elder Scrolls but get too bogged down in innumerable side-quests. I don't have the time anymore to play these kinds of games in one sitting.

I had no idea they ported it...

...wow.

In no order as these brought much joy to me,

Jedi Outcast. (Perfect lightsaber duels still huge comm online)

Tie Fighter vs X-wing (wish a remake would happen)

Battlefront 2

Rogue Squad n64 (so good, taught me a ton about extended lore)

Kotor (an outstanding RPG, great story, and it was an org concept that was brilliant)

Rebel assault (first PC Star Wars game I had, I know it's super cheesy but too many good memories with it)

I had no idea they ported it...

...wow.

I understand this thought. As I have gotten older and media tends to focus on fast action from one sec to the next it's hard to explore every nook and cranny as the culture is all about quick quick(I call this the cod mp syndrome, if it's not quick moving then it's dumb, quick respawn, quick new map, no downtime). I have a hard time these days with even listening to a story dialog in an rpg. Most of the time I just keep hitting the skip dialog button.

I doubt they will bring back the X-Wing series... It needed a joystick and a keyboard. That rules out consoles, and people dont have joysticks as they did in the 90s. It would be cool if the guys at XWA Upgrade also re-did the X-Wing, TIE FIghter and X Wing vs TIE Fighter models so we could re-play those missions.

About the Star Wars games, I think the only one I havent played are the Old Republic ones. I never liked the Rogue Squadron series because it feel like a poor shadow of the X-Wing series. It was more basic and more linear.

One of my favourites was the Battlefront series. I wouldnt know which one to choose from those two. They were both pretty great.

There should be a special mention to Episode I Racer. And I also LOVED as a child Yoda's Stories. Its cheap its always the same, but there were so many easter eggs around the game, and I really digged the design of the big head characters.