Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Farseerixirvost

Mountains of Tokens and DooDads. Just How Many do You Need?

25 posts in this topic

For having your bag always packed and ready for game night or even an event, how many of the tokens/"DooDads" do you keep handy?

I can't imagine I will ever need 26 target locks, or 42 ship ID numbers, or even more than a dozen stress/focus/evades.

So how much of this stuff do you keep on hand in your transport bag/Plano box/carry all?

Most of the time you will only be providing tokens for your own ships, so however many you need for your build is the maximum, ie 1 focus per ship (unless you have something like Rec Spec), 1 TL pair per ship etc. Sometimes you need quite a few odd tokens like stresses (if your opponent maxes out on stress giving options) but for most tokens it's only one per ship, so 4-5 will do.

ETA: I actually have all the tokens in my case (because I have space) but you don't NEED that many.

Edited by Two_Hands

I take them out and limit them.

I have 3 little cartons that are about an inch or two inches wide for shields and focuses, stress and crits and evades, numbers and bombs. (I have a small bag of ion tokens for when I need them)

I put two or three TL sets in each case only. This makes them very easy to match. Having different color stuff in one compartment drives some people mad. But it's actually much faster for grabbing instantly.

Id say for regular play you only need about 15 F 8 TL 10stress 10 crit 12 numbers all your shields and all your bombs.

The rest I put into bags and put it with my starter set.

I also keep my dials and baseplates with the ship models. My storage allows that. :)

I usually bring enough tokens to field a game between me and someone who is new to the game or someone who came to play and did not bring their stuff. 

It's hard to know how many to have at any given time.  I just feel so bad throwing excess tokens out... so I have a huge pile of them kicking around in bags that are stored in my starter boxes.

I've got two starter sets (because: obviously), so one of those boxes I use as my 'active' stash - no more than 8 ship numbers (because an 8-Academy-Pilot-Swarm is the max at 100 pts), 8 'focus' tokens, 8 'stress' tokens, etc.  And that one includes the movement templates, rulers, damage decks, most ship cards, etc.

And, then, as I keep getting new ships, just punch out all their tokens and toss them into baggies in the second box (along with duplicates of unusable extra 'unique' cards, etc).

This is what I take with me.

Shields 20

Stress 10

Ions 5

Critical 5

Focus 12

Evade 10

Target lock 5

ID markers 1-10

4 cloak

Although I've got separate storage for each type of token, I also have a premade bag with a similar number of tokens for any given match.

I have a small Plano with enough focus, shield, stress, bomb, crit, cloak, number.... Tokens to field 400 points of whatever. So far the most I have had to provide in any game was 300 points, but I'm usually the one with the stuff. The rest of the tokens are tucked away in my starter box, where all new tokens, and duplicate pilots go to await attrition in the active use group.

This is what I take with me.

Shields 20

Stress 10

Ions 5

Critical 5

Focus 12

Evade 10

Target lock 5

ID markers 1-10

4 cloak

Pretty much what I take as well in 2 separate bags(held over from when I had a box for each faction). 15 shield tokes for Imperials and 20 for Rebel, 10 of each other token, 6 sets of TL spelling my initials and alas, only 1 cloak token since I only have 1 Phantom...so far. ID tokens 1-10 for Imperials and 11-19 for Rebels. I have a set of ID tokens 20-40whatever in a bag, all others and unused tokens sit in a box for when something goes missing.

I have 11 stress with me, and if I start running Tycho, I probably need more. Lots more. As in, I'm not sure FFG has printed enough stress tokens yet for me to even theoretically have enough.

I have 11 stress with me, and if I start running Tycho, I probably need more. Lots more. As in, I'm not sure FFG has printed enough stress tokens yet for me to even theoretically have enough.

Just bring some D10's to use as a stress tracker.

Five should be enough - one for each decimal place?

Once you have 7 or 8 stress on Tycho you probably don't need to place any more, because you're never going to get rid of them all by the end of the game anyway (unless all your other ships have Wingman).

I don't have exact counts, but my road-kit has around the following:

~ 7 evade/focus (glued back-to-back)

~ 10 shields (though, playing Imperial I rarely used them.

~ 7 stress

~ 7 crits

~ 7 ion tokens

~ 5 target-lock pairs, rubber banded.

~ 1 cloak ('cuz I only have one Phantom)

1-8 ID tokens

I also only carry 10 black-painted bases and stems, with the bases having a thick washer rubber-cemented to the inside bottom. Anytime I get new bases, they just go into the grand zip-loc bag o' bases in the closet box. Same with tokes, etc. 

What's even the point in the crit tokens?

Reminders to refer back to the pilot cards? Sometimes I stack the damages in a pile on top of the pilot cards. With out the tokens I occasionally forget there is a Crit for that pilot. 

Shed loads.  I usually just put a selection of tokens in a bag for general play (10 of each or something like that).  Then store the rest for when I inevitably lose some.

I keep a "game set" in a box with 24 little tubs in it, 12 for X-wing and 12 for Attack Wing (yes, I play that too). I keep:

• 40 shields
  • 12 target lock sets (a-x)
  • 15 each focus and evade
  • 20 stress
  • 10 each critical and ion
  • ID sets 1-15
Everything else goes in a big bag I keep at home. I take a large number for two reasons: my FLGS does epic games often, so I'll need more every once in a while, and you never know when you'll lose one, so you need extras. Edited by caelenvasius
Marinealver likes this

Once rebel aces and wave five hit I'm going to just keep a d20 for Tycho. PTL+expert handling(daredevil)+experimental interface= An absurd stack of stress tokens.

I keep a "game set" in a box with 24 little tubs in it, 12 for X-wing and 12 for Attack Wing (yes, I play that too). I keep:

• 40 shields
  • 12 target lock sets (a-x)
  • 15 each focus and evade
  • 20 stress
  • 10 each critical and ion
  • ID sets 1-15
Everything else goes in a big bag I keep at home. I take a large number for two reasons: my FLGS does epic games often, so I'll need more every once in a while, and you never know when you'll lose one, so you need extras.

I guess I should separate a bag of tokens just like my dice. I got 9 attack and 9 defense dice so I put one bag of 5 attack and 4 defense for rebel and 4 attack and 5 defense for imperials.

My guess for Rebels

20 shields

8 stress

3 evade

6 pairs of TL

6 focus (16 if doing the moldy crow)

4 critical hit

For Imperial

11 Shields

12 stress

8 evade

4 pairs of TL