Sign in to follow this  
Gadge

Super quick HWK conversion and repaint.

Again nothing ground breaking but I wanted my HWK to

1. Fit in more with my Z95s

2. Not look like the mouldy crow

3. Be able to sit more easily in an S&V list.

So i was bored this afternoon so i took the turret off the top, pinned it to the roof circular window, gave the whole thing a coat of grey, some blue accents and as a nod to the name, wwii german fighters and to add a little more colour i gave it a dull yellow 'beak'.

It's yet to have a 'weathering' session.  Im just waiting til all of this is properly dry

hwk_zps40855ddc.jpg

It's not a fantastic pic, i'll take better ones when she's 'grimed', the paint job looks a bit fuzzy here due to the camera not having a 'macro' focus but its actually tidier in the flesh.

About two hours from start to finish so far.    Longest bit is drilling out the turret to take a pin as my hand drill bits are all blunt and the plastic / resin they use is quite tought.

Right, struggling to get an accurate pic.  Some without flash here, some with.  Its *loads* more even looking in person then the photos show but if you can imagine something between the two shots you're there.

I think the flash is catching the 'yellow' on the nose and bleaching it out as its actually really nicely shaded and weathered 'mustard' shade when it is in front of you...   i also think thats causing it to lighten up the front half.

I'll try and take some pics in daylight, my living room faces South so i get naff light in the evening.. Painted these mid afternoon when the lights great.

IMG_3615_zps68d08203.jpg

IMG_3614_zps25fbbbb3.jpg

IMG_3613_zps78c5a8e2.jpg

IMG_3609_zps2f35c5fd.jpg

I really like the coloring. Not a fan of the turret placement though, now it has two rear fins it has to shoot around, the bottom placement just made more sense imo.

i wanted it to look different from my other one and also to be an 'earlier' model so it will fit in well with S&V.  In my eye an early model might have a turret that they then realised was obstructed by the fins and then moved underneath in later models. :)

In reality i think you never see it under the ship so its a shame, bit of a waste... that an plenty of real aircraft have had dorsal turret that have the potential to blow the rudder off :)

So i was bored this afternoon so i took the turret off the top, pinned it to the roof circular window, gave the whole thing a coat of grey, some blue accents and as a nod to the name, wwii german fighters and to add a little more colour i gave it a dull yellow 'beak'...

See, this is why you modelers evoke alternating waves of envy and annoyance. If I were to try this with one of my HWKs, it would come out the other side looking like it was finger-painted by an epileptic two-year-old. But for you, it's a "super quick" job while you're bored...  :blink:

So i was bored this afternoon so i took the turret off the top, pinned it to the roof circular window, gave the whole thing a coat of grey, some blue accents and as a nod to the name, wwii german fighters and to add a little more colour i gave it a dull yellow 'beak'...

See, this is why you modelers evoke alternating waves of envy and annoyance. If I were to try this with one of my HWKs, it would come out the other side looking like it was finger-painted by an epileptic two-year-old. But for you, it's a "super quick" job while you're bored...  :blink:

But then i have been painting for about 30 years :)   Started doing citadel minis when i was about 11 or 12.

When i used to paint a *lot* i was a lot better (got a regional 'golden demon' win when they still did regional heats in the 90s) and have had a few of minis in GW rulesbooks and WD in the past but if you want to know what is *really* annoying.

About two years ago  I taught my wife to paint minis as she was  reading 'treasure island' and i bought her a pack of 28mm 'treasure island' characters in white metal.

Because she didnt have the 'trial and error' period we all have she got as good as i am now in about a fortnight.

This is the *first* warhammer regiment she painted!

65218_10151443312356539_1357134180_n_zps

535800_10151443312321539_967818732_n_zps

and these are the first two models she ever did..

270254_10150710558590181_3288632_n_zpse2

I was sickeningly jealous that she's naturally very good at it... sure there are much better painters but she put very little effort in and these are her first ever modesl... my first models look like they were dipped in radiator paint and the excess paint blown off witha hairdryer.

I just want to thank you for the OG WEG book. :)

West End Games?

I'm not sure what OG WEG is :)

West End Games, yes... the "OG" is late 80's / early 90's for "Original Gangster" - Which as a 41yr old fat white dude, I probably shouldn't use. LOL.