Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daeglan

What's next? I am guessing a region book like suns of fortune..

111 posts in this topic

I'm still just impressed that Bounty Hunter and Smuggler weren't the first two career supplements off the presses for Edge. Don't get me wrong, I'm super pleased with the Explorer and Colonist books (Hired Guns are pretty Meh for me, but one of my players loves it) but I figured they'd rush out the "Han and Fett" career books first.

Seeing Aces come up as the first Age splat feels so natural to me.

Anyway, more on topic, I wouldn't be surprised if the next Edge book release was a more general rules supplement like Suns of Fortune. Maybe something dealing with the Core worlds? Bringing your fringe party to the civilized centers of the galaxy and making your way around the upper crust?

Suns of Fortune was about a sector in the Core Worlds. I hope that the next setting book (whether Edge or Age) covers something far from the Core Worlds. My hopes are still for Hutt Space or Corporate Sector for Edge and Bothan Space for Age.

knasserII likes this

I'm hoping for a shipwright spec when Mechanic comes but that would probably suit Engineer better then Mechanic. More detailed ship modding rules would be great though..

Mechanic is already pretty hard set on repair but I suppose it could fit, most people on the Outer Rim don't go to a shipyard, they go find a mechanic.

They have announced a Rigger spec for Stay On Target which seems to be focused on modding vehicles, if they are going to reprint it in EotE the Technician book would be the place for it.

Jamwes and progressions like this

I'm probably the only one, but I'd love to see a book involving Separatist holdouts. Beyond the Rim was cool, but I want more now.

I would too. I would love to see some of the CIS ships in the FFG RPG especially ones we know of that never appeared on screen though some of their big guns, which were pretty much the only CIS capital ships you saw on screen outside of a few in video games, would be nice too

If it doesn't make it into EotE, it could also be worked into AoR. The last of the holdouts ended up joining the rebellion.

I'm probably the only one, but I'd love to see a book involving Separatist holdouts. Beyond the Rim was cool, but I want more now.

I would too. I would love to see some of the CIS ships in the FFG RPG especially ones we know of that never appeared on screen though some of their big guns, which were pretty much the only CIS capital ships you saw on screen outside of a few in video games, would be nice too

YES - YES - YES!  There is so much background possible here. Whenever the Rebels com pain about the Empire, the Ex-Separatists just go "You see? That is EXACTLY what we complained about twenty years ago!"

Somebody mentioned this before, but it is a lot like the Browncoats from Firefly, if you look beyond the huge consortia like the Trade Federation and just look at the people of the small/unimportant fringe worlds.

Also the CIS had some great ships (like the Munificent) and - as some artwork illustrates - quite a few of them made it into Rebel hands, so I can also see a supplement on Separatist Hold-outs.

I'm still just impressed that Bounty Hunter and Smuggler weren't the first two career supplements off the presses for Edge. Don't get me wrong, I'm super pleased with the Explorer and Colonist books (Hired Guns are pretty Meh for me, but one of my players loves it) but I figured they'd rush out the "Han and Fett" career books first.

Seeing Aces come up as the first Age splat feels so natural to me.

Anyway, more on topic, I wouldn't be surprised if the next Edge book release was a more general rules supplement like Suns of Fortune. Maybe something dealing with the Core worlds? Bringing your fringe party to the civilized centers of the galaxy and making your way around the upper crust?

Yes, you are right, but with Stay on Target they want to get their new line to sell as well as the "established one" and they hold off on Bounty Hunter & Smuggler, because they are the most epic ones and the others sell better if BH and Smug are not yet available.

ayures likes this

Well some of the Separatist holdouts joined the Alliance at least.  The Essential Guide to Warfare makes it clear that some holdouts did join the Alliance, and some loosely allied themselves with the Alliance (To formally join the Alliance the holdouts were required to publicly disavow the Separatist movement and cause, Something that many of those who still fighting for it when the Alliance formed weren't willing to do.) while other saw the Alliance as another enemy, and the section describing the Separatist holdouts in the AOR Core book fits with the above,

Edited by RogueCorona

Not a suprise since the Alliance made it a big deal that they wanted to re-establish the Old Republic. Why should you help those new guys that want to restore your old enemy?

Also, I feel like a lot of the dogma of the Separatists came from Dooku and his leadership. Dooku, of course, was Palpatine's apprentice and together they were fomenting civil war just so that they could rid the galaxy of the Jedi and put the Sith back on top.  Without Dooku's persuasion, the more rational of any surviving Seppie hold outs and supporters would certainly go along with restoring the Republic if they thought (or demanded) they would be a part of the new governing body.

ayures likes this

They did not hate the idea of the Republic. They hated the corruption. With the Rebellion they hope to rebuild the ideal.

I think the Separatists could be split into a few vague groups.

Those that were in it because they thought a CIS victory would lead to money or power for them.

Those who were opposed to the Republic because they thought it was corrupt and feel that the best way to avoid the problems of the Old Republic is to have no central galactic government.

Those who were opposed to the Republic because they thought it was corrupt but don't mind the Republic reforming as long as it allows those worlds d sectors that have no desire to be part of a New Republic to remain independent in peace, and without unreasonable burdens placed on them.

Those who were opposed to the Republic because they thought it was corrupt and think the Alliance can reform it without the corruption, or at least reduce the corruption to a miniscule level compared to what it was in the last years of the Old Republic.

The last two groups are the ones most likely to join the Alliance but some of group three might prefer to fight their own war.

And some of group two might join the Alliance believing that it will be easy to fracture the reformed Republic from the inside once the Empire is defeated and thus prevent the rise of another galactic superpower.

ayures, Spraug and knasserII like this

Yeah but doing a book about a region requires it to be specific IMO. Otherwise you just get a book describing a no-name forest planet or a no name region of space with unnamed nebulas and unnamed imperial, rebel, and neutral planets.

People don't want that. They want Stuff like Suns of Fortune. Specific enough to be useful for running players in named systems. The no named systems people are perfectly capable of doing. and in fact doing it can be quite fun.

Kerfuffin925 likes this

Setting books (like Suns of Fortune) are pretty system agnostic already - at least insofar as the game itself is pretty system agnostic already - but making a book of generic worlds just doesn't scream "Star Wars!" loud enough.  People don't want swamp planets, they want Dagobah.  They don't want forest worlds, they want Kashyyyk or Endor.  Forget ice worlds or desert worlds, they want Hoth or Tatooine.  Why?  Because that's where the stories were told in the movies, and people, in general, like to have some connection to the bigger stories they've read and watched.

Me, I can take generic worlds and inscribe them with the names and data of known worlds.  Even still, I'd prefer to see a book that dealt with worlds we know about in the Star Wars universe, that gives us some details we might have missed on our own, story hooks, specific races, and the like, because I want my game to feel like Star Wars, not Simon's Random Space Opera.

I just think it's easier for them to include lots of adventure hooks into a setting book if they're focusing on a specific system.

The books are only like 80 pages. Suns of Fortune includes a LOT of great material. I think if they tried to make it setting-agnostic they'd have to try to work in Imperial soldiers and Force users along with the gamblers and stuff.

Talkie Toaster likes this

Yeah, not every setting *is* appropriate for every system. The stand-alone encounters section of SoF is great, but how could they work in appropriate ones including fleet combat or Sith holocrons, for example?

Correllia is just a more appropriate setting for scum and villainy- if it was sold as agnostic and an AoR GM bought it and discovered it wasn't appropriate for a vast swathe of possible AoR playstyles, they'd get rightfully annoyed.

Edited by Talkie Toaster
progressions likes this

I think he meaned the setting books should not be EOTE, AOR or F&D... But I could be wrong. 

That I can kind of understand. I was surprised when SOF came out before AOR because if I were running the Star Wars RPG program I would have wanted a Corellian Book that provided the information needed for both EOE and AOR campaigns. Corellia is tied pretty deeply to both the SW fringe and underworld and the rebellion and IMO doing one Corellian book would make more sense then doing two., assuming that FFG ever does a Corellian AOR book..

Edited by RogueCorona

I think he meaned the setting books should not be EOTE, AOR or F&D... But I could be wrong. 

Yep that's exactly what I meant. I should I said "core book" agnostic rather than setting. I mean I suppose with Suns of Fortune we have a sample size of one as far as those region books are going to be designed but I'd like to be able to buy a book on say, Coruscant and have it be a resource for all of FFG Star Wars campaigns.

knasserII likes this

Well it IS a resource for all of those though in that every system works with the others with only minor differences. The area was just felt to be more fitting with the eote setting so publishing it as such doesn't make unusable for the other settings but instead gives the buyer an idea of how the developers felt the system and content felt.

Well it IS a resource for all of those though in that every system works with the others with only minor differences. The area was just felt to be more fitting with the eote setting so publishing it as such doesn't make unusable for the other settings but instead gives the buyer an idea of how the developers felt the system and content felt.

The problem is there is very little data useful to AOR players despite the Alliance's Corellian sector force and its fleet being one of the strongest in the Alliance, and the Corellian resistance being one of the original groups that founded the Alliance.

An AOR campaign can use the ships, weapons and gear sure but there are little or no details on the organization, strength and bases of the Alliance forces in sector that I can recall, and the vast majority of the ships included are types more likely to be used by an EOE campaign then a AOR one IMO. There are 4 fighter models, one corvette model, and a couple of patrol craft models that I recall. Everything else that I remember is yachts and freighters, and the main uses I see for those to an AOR group is as NPC craft, or maybe the center piece of a logistics campaign. Despite the book specifically mentioning CEC manufacturing Frigates and Cruisers equal to those produced by KDY and other shipwrights known for producing capital ships, and despite one of the first classes of big capital ships mentioned in the OT being manufactured by CEC no Corellian designed vessels larger then a corvette appear in Suns of Fortune.

Yes there is information in it that can be used in AOR but it is IMO clearly focused towards the EOE side of things with virtually all of the data useful to an AOR campaign just as useful, if not ore so, to an EOE campaign.