Sign in to follow this  
Julio

Using Scum dials for Rebels?

Hi all,

I have a question which bugs me regarding Rebel ships being refurbished for Scum, e.g. the Y-Wing. I am very tempted by the Most Wanted Pack since it is a really  good deal, only problem being: will I be able to use this Y-Wing with its Scum-theme dial in a Rebel list in a Tournament setting? Or will it be only acceptable for casual play?

I did not see any information on this around, thanks in advance for your insights ;-)

If the Scum dials are identical to their Rebel and Imperial counterparts, I think some local/casual tournament organizers may allow them to be interchangeable, but you shouldn't assume that they will be allowed.

If the dials are different (and I don't think we know that yet) then of course you won't be able to do that.

Edited by DagobahDave

I expect the dials to be the same, and so as DagobahDave points out, for some people it will be fine, friendly games or even some tournaments perhaps.

But official events, especially those run by FFG they won't be allowed.

The official ruling from FFG states that the dials are not interchangeable.

I think the only time you are going to have to worry about this is for Premier level events (Store Championships and up). I know if I was TOing an event that was not at that level, I wouldn't mind. But be prepared for it depending on how strict your local TOs are.

If all maneuvers are the same, it would be pretty stupid NOT to allow them. If there is even one difference, though, forget about it.

Assuming the dials are identical...

Looking back on the recent discussion about proxies and home-printed cards at tournaments, I can see why some people would have a problem with that. In a totally casual environment, if the dials are the same I don't see anyone having a problem with it. But even in a local tournament, it wouldn't surprise me to see TOs enforcing the official rules regarding components.

Edited by DagobahDave

I'd be concerned about confusion with the dials if you're playing a Rebel player.

In Imperial vs. Rebel there's no issue.

In mirror matches you have to watch it, but it's very up-front in your mind, and you're very aware of it.

In a Rebel vs. Scum match where half the Scum dials are Scum and half are Rebels...  Bleh.  The potential for mixing up which dial is which is going to be a potential source for confusion.  I can understand people not wanting to pay for the Scum ships just for the dials, but...  <shrug>

I'm torn on whether I'd allow it or not, but at the very least I'd require someone mixing them to mark their dials.

If all maneuvers are the same, it would be pretty stupid NOT to allow them. If there is even one difference, though, forget about it.

Actually since there could be rebel vs scum match-up with Z95 and/or Y on both side I can see why it won't and shouldn't be allowed in competitive play: confusion are likely to arise.

There again for casual play anything goes as long as it is consensual.

If all maneuvers are the same, it would be pretty stupid NOT to allow them.

There's a very good reason why FFG doesn't allow that. Because then you have to buy more ships. Given the option between something that lets you buy fewer or more ships, which way do you think they'll go?

If I were a TO I'd likely allow it... But I can see the point others make above about possible confusion.

Assuming all of the maneuvers are the same, what is to stop someone from using a rebel bottom (The part with the manuevers) and a scum top (the part that covers up the maneuvers)?

I think there is a color variation between rebels and imps and I think it is safe to assume that scum will have its own color but that isnt anything a fat sharpy cant take care of.

Assuming all of the maneuvers are the same, what is to stop someone from using a rebel bottom (The part with the manuevers) and a scum top (the part that covers up the maneuvers)?

I think there is a color variation between rebels and imps and I think it is safe to assume that scum will have its own color but that isnt anything a fat sharpy cant take care of.

Uhm... why would you do this?  There's no situation which would give you half of a Scum dial to try and mix with half a Rebel dial.

I don't know much about X-wing so this is why I am asking. The Scum of the Villany, is that a new faction or is it the Empire can use them only?

Not sure what the discussion is about. Why wouldn't the Rebel players be able to use them? After all, it's who has the money who can use them. You telling me the Rebels never hired Bounty Hunters ever? 

TL;DR Is this a new faction or Empire Faction only? Why can't Rebels use them?

I don't know much about X-wing so this is why I am asking. The Scum of the Villany, is that a new faction or is it the Empire can use them only?

Not sure what the discussion is about. Why wouldn't the Rebel players be able to use them? After all, it's who has the money who can use them. You telling me the Rebels never hired Bounty Hunters ever? 

TL;DR Is this a new faction or Empire Faction only? Why can't Rebels use them?

The new faction is an entirely new, independent faction which does not mix with Rebels or Imperials in any way.

Uhm... why would you do this?  There's no situation which would give you half of a Scum dial to try and mix with half a Rebel dial.

So last I checked the maneuver dials came in 2 pieces. A top half that is the part that conceals all of the maneuvers. A bottom half that has all of the maneuvers printed on it.  

Take the top part of a scum Z-95 dial and the bottom part of a rebel Z-95 dial and just put the two together with that piece of plastic that holds the dial together. Then you have a scum z-95 dial.

Take the top part of a scum Z-95 dial and the bottom part of a rebel Z-95 dial and just put the two together with that piece of plastic that holds the dial together.

But why would you do that? Unless you lost the bottom part of the dial...

Most likely the dial for a Scum Z-95 will be the same as a Rebel Z-95, the only difference will be the image on the top of the dial. If that is true there is no reason at all to do what you're suggesting... You already have both parts of the scum dial. So why use a rebel bottom?

Unless the Rebel version is different, in which case that would be cheating...

I don't know much about X-wing so this is why I am asking.

Let me expand a bit on what Buhallin said... and explain why some people want to use the 'wrong' dial.

Lets say you have 2 Y-Wings and 2 Z-95's right now, so they're the rebel versions. Then lets say you buy 2 boxes of Most Wanted. That gives you 4 Y-Wings and 6 Z-95's, of which 2 Y's and 4 Z's are the S&V version.

Now you want to make a list that has 4 Y-Wings. The problem is, you only have 2 Rebel dials and 2 S&V dials, and you can't use the other factions dial. That means you would have to go and buy 2 more Rebel Y-Wings and 2 more Most Wanted packs to be able to play that 4 Y-Wing list... But now you have 8 Y-Wings. Even though you in theory had everything you needed, other then the dial itself.

So what some want to do, is be able to use the S&V dials for Rebels or visa versa, so they don't have to buy extra ships.

but that isnt anything a fat sharpy cant take care of.

The dial tops look nothing alike, also you can't alter the face of a dial either, so if you were to black it out or something, it wouldn't be a legal dial.

I never said to alter the face of the dial, i was suggesting altering the back of the dial. You have the top portion of the dial which is distinct for each affiliation and the bottom portion which has the manuevers printed on the top side and it is black/brown on the other side. Take a sharpie and color all of the backs of the dials the same color.

Take the top part of a scum Z-95 dial and the bottom part of a rebel Z-95 dial and just put the two together with that piece of plastic that holds the dial together.

But why would you do that? Unless you lost the bottom part of the dial...

Most likely the dial for a Scum Z-95 will be the same as a Rebel Z-95, the only difference will be the image on the top of the dial. If that is true there is no reason at all to do what you're suggesting... You already have both parts of the scum dial. So why use a rebel bottom?

Unless the Rebel version is different, in which case that would be cheating...

Really? Isnt the point of this thread about using rebel dials as scum dials if you dont have enough?

You would di it If you needed a 3rd Scum Z-95 Headhunter dial or a 2nd or 3rd Scum Firespray or a 2nd Scum Y-Wing and you wanted them to look like Scum dials.