Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

Gaming Rituals?

Recommended Posts

Anyone out there have any weird gaming rituals in their gaming sessions? I GM a group of vet gamers and for some strange reason, everyone rolls "to win" before the session starts. They have to beat my roll to win # and whoever has the highest #... "wins". Just kinda evolved that way. There are other smaller rituals, but just wanted to know if there were other groups out there like this. Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there:

 

All hail the OGE (Original GodEmperor)!

 

Other than cryptic phrases intoned before rolling the dice at critical juctures (countered by my own - mwa ahahahah!) there are none. 

Also, my players used to "charge the dice" - they rolled some dice a few times, "weighing in" which would roll best & then setting 'em aside for special rolls (!)

 

Believe it R not

 

Lete

 

Who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Never referring to a test by the negative consequences of failure, for to do so ensure you will fail (eg: 'roll agility to stop yourself falling from the Aquilla lander'  should instead be phrased 'roll agility to safely use the line and grapnel to get from the aquilla to the spire', or even simply 'roll agility'). In a similar vein, nothing is ever referred to as a 'missile'- we use rockets, projectiles and occasionally 'hittiles'.

Some of the gamers in the group prefer to roll dice to try and find those that roll well. Once they have done such pre-rolling, they either use all the others when they need to roll well (on the basis that the others have used a portion of the finite amount of good rolls in them), or use those dice that roll well (on the basis that those dice are inclined to roll well). The split between the two schools is roughly even, and generably amicable, although it does help enforce the next ritual:

NEVER touch another person's dice. If it is completely unavoidable, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES roll them.

Some gamers believe in storing dice so that the 'good' side faces up, in order to train them to land that way up, others believe in storing them the other way, so that the 'best' side wants some fresh air and light.

I've even known gamers who get their dice annually blessed by the High Priest of the Dread God Finagle, or the Prophet of Finagle's acolyte, the Demon Murphy (in a ritual involving a large, bearded irishman in a tatty patchwork cloak/robe, and much flinging of diet coke)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my regular groups have a statuette of a 6-sided dice (the God of Dice) and a small sitting plush animal with a beercap-crown on his head (he goes by the name of Lootar) that we use as our housegods for gaming sessions. They recieve the most worship when we play more tactical/combat oriented campaigns. To the God of Dice we mostly beg for mercy. Lootar we implore to give his faithful (that would be us) plenty of rewards.

Noone hardly ever pronounces a sentence like "It's cool, anything but a one and I'll be just fine". If someone forgets her/himself, they will most often just concede the roll as a failure rather than take the humiliation of facing a jinxed roll.

My boyfriend bought a new set of D10s to play Dark Heresy with. His prime reason was that all his dice was trained to play a World of Darkness type system where rolling high is preferred. Of course they were only fit to be damage dice in DH. After having bought a few dice that looked reasonable and then testrolled them a bit, he let the highrollers sleep on the floor while the low-rollers got to sleep with the other dice in a cosy satin bag. Since then his %-roll performance has been very impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one particularly lucky player blow on my dice for important rolls. He's forbidden from rolling for me.

If I'm GMing, I insist on a pot of earl grey tea.

Every session, we have to decide the psykana mercy weapon that the psyker must be killed with in the event of warp perils. These include:

The psykana mercy blade

The psykana mercy chainsword

The psykana mercy frag grenade

The psykana mercy flamethrower

The psykana mercy blackhammer

The psykana mercy boot

and my personal favourite,

The psykana mercy kerb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mithras said:

Anyone out there have any weird gaming rituals in their gaming sessions? I GM a group of vet gamers and for some strange reason, everyone rolls "to win" before the session starts. They have to beat my roll to win # and whoever has the highest #... "wins". Just kinda evolved that way. There are other smaller rituals, but just wanted to know if there were other groups out there like this. Just curious.

We have a very Strange one, take a Fel Test if you fail you gonna turn into a Carnifex adn kill you Team Acylotes, i dont know who come up with it but suddenly it just was there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not in or RPG but in or board game round where I have a female player who really BLESSES the dice while they are under the "cup" before lifting it. She does it the "catholic way" (sign of the cross; "made" by moving the hand with index and middle fingered strechted out).


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gregorius21778 said:

It is not in or RPG but in or board game round where I have a female player who really BLESSES the dice while they are under the "cup" before lifting it. She does it the "catholic way" (sign of the cross; "made" by moving the hand with index and middle fingered strechted out).


 

 

Can't really bless unless yr a priest, sorry!

 

L

 

Who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LETE said:

Can't really bless unless yr a priest, sorry!

This idea that you need some sort of personal "magic power" to bless things often annoys me. I've been studying a lot of theology/religions (christian and otherwise) at university and in all honestly the majority of religions around the world consider the blessing to be done by God, a god, a saint, a long dead ancestor or a similar mystic entity. The human in question only tells the people around her or him that the god etc is doing the blessing (or in some cases just telling people that a thing has always been blessed by this entity). A person that often tells people about such things is sometimes called priest, shaman, weirdo, pope or some other title denoting that people tends to notice when they say a thing is blessed. Several religions have tried to formalize who gets to tell when something is blessed. Usually this definition is done by political or group dynamical reasons.

Besides, according to christian tradition any group of more than two christians is a congregation ("Whenever more than two of you gather in my name..." -attributed to J.C. in the bible, can't remember what verse or what translation to english) and so may freely choose a priest to take care of the rituals. Such a priest will be respected as a priest by most other christians around the world, their baptisms and blessings will be generally considered just as valid is if they were done by the pope. (even if some members of the Catholic and Eastern Ortodox churches might not accept any priests possibility to magicaly transform bread and wine to divine meat and blood).

So yes, you can "really bless" just as much wether you are a priest or not. And it's not hard to become a priest. If a particular person hearing you bless would consider the thing being more or less blessed is quite another question. And LETE, using "sorry" to enforce an argument in that way is really bad manners.

Sorry about this rant. I'll try to get back to talking about gaming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locque said:

I have one particularly lucky player blow on my dice for important rolls. He's forbidden from rolling for me.

If I'm GMing, I insist on a pot of earl grey tea.

Every session, we have to decide the psykana mercy weapon that the psyker must be killed with in the event of warp perils. These include:

The psykana mercy blade

The psykana mercy chainsword

The psykana mercy frag grenade

The psykana mercy flamethrower

The psykana mercy blackhammer

The psykana mercy boot

and my personal favourite,

The psykana mercy kerb

The above is simply awesome. babeo.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I generally grab the dice most commonly used (d20 for D&D, d10s for WoD or DH or WHFRP) and roll them en masse on whatever surface I will be rolling on for the session, to see which ones roll well. Some dice roll better on some surfaces, I've found. Those that don't get retired for the session. I had a GM bring a stuffed Psyduck doll with him, and point it at the player that was annoying him. Nothing bad came of it; you just had to have this psychotic looking Pokemon staring at you all session (unless someone else annoyed the GM).

By far, the most enduring ritual in my group is the ritual of Feeb. While not particularly superstitious and not related directly to gameplay, the ritual of Feeb is extremely important for continued goodwill among our players. Feeb is shorthand for, "Hey, you feeb, get me a drink!" Whenever someone goes into the kitchen, anyone who calls out "Feeb!" must have his drink retrieved from the fridge and brought to him. The rule for this is when the person in the kitchen is actually standing on tile/linoleum, thereby preventing someone from shouting "Feeb!" once he's back in the gaming room. Failing to respond to the call of "Feeb!" or abusing it will result in people ignoring your call of "Feeb!" the next time around. In this way, all gamers are kept happy, with their thirsts quenched.

I have to agree that the curbstomp of mercy (or kerbstomp of mercy) is awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 My favorite gaming ritual is also somewhat of an inside joke. 

It all started when one of my players had an autogun, and was lining up on some mercenaries. To hit the merc, he'd have to thread the gap between two other PCs, and I told the player beforehand that if he fired on full auto, any shots he didn't manage to put on the merc would have a chance of hitting his comrades. At which point, one of the PCs that stood a chance at being hit said "don't be a sisssy!" 

Bam! Bam! Ten shots, two hits. Fate point. Bam! Ten shots, one hit. Rolls on his comrades, and gives them three hits each, then proceeds to roll nothing but 9s for damage, almost killing them both. 

In a later game and different system, I was playing a gunmage deciding whether or not to fire into combat to hit the monster eating our wizard. The same player who spoke up before spoke up again. "Don't be a sissy!" 

One shot (and crit) later, our wizard is at -4 hit points. Oops. 

 

Now, whenever someone is deciding whether or not to fire into combat, the same player will say "don't be a sissy!" And invertiably, that someone will decide to do something else, instead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mellon said:

LETE said:

 

Can't really bless unless yr a priest, sorry!

 

 

This idea that you need some sort of personal "magic power" to bless things often annoys me. I've been studying a lot of theology/religions (christian and otherwise) at university and in all honestly the majority of religions around the world consider the blessing to be done by God, a god, a saint, a long dead ancestor or a similar mystic entity. The human in question only tells the people around her or him that the god etc is doing the blessing (or in some cases just telling people that a thing has always been blessed by this entity). A person that often tells people about such things is sometimes called priest, shaman, weirdo, pope or some other title denoting that people tends to notice when they say a thing is blessed. Several religions have tried to formalize who gets to tell when something is blessed. Usually this definition is done by political or group dynamical reasons.

Besides, according to christian tradition any group of more than two christians is a congregation ("Whenever more than two of you gather in my name..." -attributed to J.C. in the bible, can't remember what verse or what translation to english) and so may freely choose a priest to take care of the rituals. Such a priest will be respected as a priest by most other christians around the world, their baptisms and blessings will be generally considered just as valid is if they were done by the pope. (even if some members of the Catholic and Eastern Ortodox churches might not accept any priests possibility to magicaly transform bread and wine to divine meat and blood).

So yes, you can "really bless" just as much wether you are a priest or not. And it's not hard to become a priest. If a particular person hearing you bless would consider the thing being more or less blessed is quite another question. And LETE, using "sorry" to enforce an argument in that way is really bad manners.

Sorry about this rant. I'll try to get back to talking about gaming.

 

Sorry bout you being "sorry", dude!  Chill, please.

 

The Catholics explicitly forbid anyone to bless unless ordained (or a saint).

 

 

Lete

Who?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luck Dice: at the start of each session each player rolls a d6 and places it to the side. The number denotes the 'dumb luck' factor of the universe. This die isn't for the player... but for the gm to use as they please. Ie: On a botched roll the gm would reach over, turn the player's luck die down a number and roll. If luck is with the player then the gm describes what happens: You attempt to leap the gap but fall just short! Fingers sliding from the metal railing as you try to cling on for dear life... right as you begin to tumble away the corner of your webbing/robe/etc snags on the outstretched claw of a gargoyle perched just on the underside of the ledge you were aiming for! The wildest things have come about due to the Luck dice (from killing shots riccocheting off that pendent your character is always wearing to someone leaning on the 'hidden' door catch after the entire party fails their search rolls). It is always interesting to see who becomes the 'lucky' one of a given gaming group.

The FU factor: Shamelessly stolen from a friend who Gm'ed 7th Sea years ago and modified to fit any game I've gm'ed after that. Any player who is able to cause (through in-game rp, creativity, and downright off the wall ideas that they actually pull off) the gm's plot to go up in glorious flames (and normally peals of laughter) to the point the only response the gm can come up with is a solid (and good natured) FU, gains additional xp for that session.

I guess these are more like house rules than rituals... but they have become ritualistic for the games I have gm'ed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots and lots of dice rituals & superstititions.

In all games, dice pool must be kept with the highest number up.  However after years of Rolemaster my dice are confused in that now they are left with the '1' up as they need to roll low now.  Corollary - you cannot use the same dice for damage as you use on skill checks as they will further get confused whether they are to roll high or low. 

Solution to the above problem - little dice, little numbers.  Unfortunately I lost by set of tiny d10's but may have to get more.

GM cannot touch your dice - ever - as they will quickly become cursed and start rolling all goofy.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zarkhovian_Rhythm said:

If the GM says... "just don't roll a..." immediately pelt him/her with pieces of the nearest available snack food shouting "The power of Dice compels you!"

 

Now, that's cool!

 

Lethe

 

Who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shadowkat said:

Luck Dice: at the start of each session each player rolls a d6 and places it to the side. The number denotes the 'dumb luck' factor of the universe. This die isn't for the player... but for the gm to use as they please. Ie: On a botched roll the gm would reach over, turn the player's luck die down a number and roll. If luck is with the player then the gm describes what happens: You attempt to leap the gap but fall just short! Fingers sliding from the metal railing as you try to cling on for dear life... right as you begin to tumble away the corner of your webbing/robe/etc snags on the outstretched claw of a gargoyle perched just on the underside of the ledge you were aiming for! The wildest things have come about due to the Luck dice (from killing shots riccocheting off that pendent your character is always wearing to someone leaning on the 'hidden' door catch after the entire party fails their search rolls). It is always interesting to see who becomes the 'lucky' one of a given gaming group.

I guess these are more like house rules than rituals... but they have become ritualistic for the games I have gm'ed!

 

That's an excellent houserule I'll try to implement ASAP - Thanks!

 

 

L

W?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...