Sign in to follow this  
Locque

Location, location, location

Are there any planets or places you've ever wanted to set part of an adventure in? A location so evocative, so interesting, that it becomes real to you as a player/GM?

Lately I've acquired a taste for Hive Volg. I imagine it to be a darker, more vicious version of Petropolis from Ravenor, and will be keeping some of the nicer parts of that particular planet. I can't wait to see how my PC's take it when they meet NPCs who'd rather blow their own brains out than be captured, or where accidental "collateral damage" in a crowded marketplace causes everyone to draw guns or knives and fire at both acolyte and sinner alike. Where people- my pc's included- will have to do things that make them question their faith in the emperor just to get one up on the bad guys, and where no one's a friend.

It sounds beautiful.

I myself would like to get my PC stranded in the Iocanthos badlands. They would need to fight for thier lives till they could find a way to get off planet. Even if they arn't outright killed they'd might need to kill for food. This would test the PCs, and the players.

My latest adventure takes place on a planet called Pilepitus, where the imperial-backed feudal government have been overthrown by revolutionary forces (think french revolution) with ideas of equality and enlightenment and similar heresy. When the acolytes were taken prisoner by 10 musketmen (yes without a fight!) they were amazed that the legal system actually worked and they were relased (only the scum were punished for stealing eggs and a chicken, and was sentenced to public ridicule in the stocks) as they were innocent of being brigands.

Of course these heretical notions will probably be wiped out when the rightful authority of the emperor is reestablished. :)

Their next adventure will be in the main Hive on Scintilla, so the contrasts will be very stark :D

Our campaign takes place on a planet called Rutlin Prime, a world of my own invention which has already played host to two Inquisitor campaigns. It's therefore got an extremely deep and well-detailed geography and history which the PCs can explore, and the creation of the world (and it's locations and NPCs) has been massively fun.

Even more so, I said the players could explore the history of the planet: much more than that, they can create it! The two Inquisitor campaigns saw the destruction of a daemon (and subsequent psychic backlash) turn much of Aradum, the planetary capital, to ruins; and then widespread Xenos trading that was ruthlessly put down by the Adeptus Arbites, crippling the economy and causing tense conflict between the church, the authorities, the nobles and the proletariat. This history - all based on the actions of the players - defines the situation the planet is in now, and what the players choose to do in the current campaign (which, from the looks of things at the moment, will include assassinating the planetary governor, and plunging the planet into civil war - though bizarrely enough, these two activities are not directly related!) will define what happens in the future.

This, for me, and I hope for the players too, is much more interesting than following the tenets of a hand-me-down pre-written location though of course, it is a lot more effort. YMMV. (Of course, it's still fun to read about other locations and "borrow" their best ideas; but you get to cherry-pick the stuff you want).

I want to take the players to Dusk. The Prime Acolyte has Dusk as a background and I think it will be fun to set a mission or part of one in such a place. At the moment we are mainly in urban or space environments so the change will be good.

A planet devoted to the processing of Grox? By god man, thats a brilliant idea. Maybe because it reminded me of Abe's Odyssey, the video game. Ever played that? In the first part your essentially a slave working in a huge meat processing plant, and you have to dodge mutant-like guards, jump over huge meat mincers and tenderising hammers...oh the memories! Thanks :P

So far i've only run games on space ships orbiting scintilla, but soon my PC's will be landing on the planet itself to pay through Purge the Unclean. I hope to take them to Vaxanide for a spagetti western style romp in some mountains, then steal heavily from images of Brazilian favelas and jungles. I'd love to take them to a death world like woe, but i havent really thought as far as that yet.

I want to take my players to any world where they won't cause mass destruction, mayhem and high body counts.  I do not believe this world exists.

snufkin said:

A planet devoted to the processing of Grox? By god man, thats a brilliant idea. Maybe because it reminded me of Abe's Odyssey, the video game. Ever played that? In the first part your essentially a slave working in a huge meat processing plant, and you have to dodge mutant-like guards, jump over huge meat mincers and tenderising hammers...oh the memories! Thanks :P

So far i've only run games on space ships orbiting scintilla, but soon my PC's will be landing on the planet itself to pay through Purge the Unclean. I hope to take them to Vaxanide for a spagetti western style romp in some mountains, then steal heavily from images of Brazilian favelas and jungles. I'd love to take them to a death world like woe, but i havent really thought as far as that yet.

And the nearby planets are all used for raising Grox Herds and the first adventure was an investigation into Grox Circles and Grox Mutilations. Turned out to be a escaped Genestealer "breeding" and eating grox. Which of course lead to the Beast House.

I'm actually detailing up Askelephon Secundus in the Drusus marches as an odd mix of pleasure planet/alchemical production world, sort of like a massive city of Venice over several hundred low lying islands that manufactures the bulk of the sectors chemical and drug requirements. Legalised gambling, prostitiution and all manner of vices that is run by a massive cartel of five ancient noble houses. Which is mostly above-board in terms of Imperial law, except for the up and coming shadow cartels underneath their feet who don't play by the rules and dabble in the heretech-ical.

It'll be a real culture shock for off-worlders used to the more puritanical and extremist leanings of the Imperium.

I am particularly fond of Gunmetal City. Mostly because I like Westerns and John Woo films, and the city seems tailormade for that kind of action.

This may be premature but I’m slowly building a site devoted primarily to my own Dark heresy Campaign but partially to interesting worlds within the Imperium. It’s nowhere near finished but here’s the link;

http://www.heresymine.com/index.php

And here’s the link to the planetary section.

http://www.heresymine.com/calixis/index.php

I have a ton of work to do but input is welcome. Also, there are more planets than I can count in the Calixis sector so feel free to contact me to post the info in regard to your planet – everything is unofficial of course.

Soon I'll be gradding the players to 41 Pry :D
I've set Pry as a huge gap in realspace, with a block of Spook as the gas giant, acting as a kind of plug if you will. They players will be in for a big suprise  when they arrive at the Space Station :D Mwahaha.

Also, the Grox Processing plant is brilliant, Abe's Oddessy flashbacks a plenty :P

Baldrick said:

I want to take the players to Dusk. The Prime Acolyte has Dusk as a background and I think it will be fun to set a mission or part of one in such a place. At the moment we are mainly in urban or space environments so the change will be good.

I second this.  From the first blurb I ever read on Dusk, I was intrigued with it.  I was recently finally able to run and write an adventure set there, which we have just wrapped up.

cyclocius said:

the Grox Processing plant is brilliant, Abe's Oddessy flashbacks a plenty :P

I wouldnt call it brilliant, maybe INSPIRED as it was by someone else recomemdation of the Grox Mutilation storyline.

But thank you.

It was also a reasonable start for the PCs, the were all connected to the processing plants.

So far I have come up with locations such as the world of Ophal, aka the Junk Moon. A moon completely given over to storing a system's garbage. A polluted wasteland, with heaps of refuse and trash rolling from pole to pole. The only inhabitants, aside from the workers in the waste processing plant of Braungart Station, are the Wasted or the Junkers, the degenerate descendants from the people that lived here before their world became the garbage heap of everyone else. The station oversees the recycling of valuable litter which is shipped out periodically. The acolytes are drawn in when contact with Braungart station is lost save for one last voxcast transmission, which was a meaningless 'For such is the way of all flesh', repeated incessantly for 17 hours ....

Bonus points if anyone knows whence the name Braungart Station comes from :)

The other location I will develop further is a Schola Progenium orphanage, holding children of many age groups, where something is wrong...