Sign in to follow this  
PirateJock

Solo play

Hi all - I am looking to buy ToI but before taking the plunge I just wanted to see how's it for solo play.  Tried to search the forum but can't get the search function to work; don't think it's me being stupid gui%C3%B1o.gif

Cheers

Tide of Iron is not playable solo. Solo you may study scenarios, or the performance curve of models or composition of squads. But solo Play is realy like playing chess solo.

I believe ToI plays wonderfully as a solo game.  One side is usually a defender so they can sit tight and wait for the attacking force.  The cards are all face up so there are no secrets there, that are compromised.  If you can play both sides with equal interest then the game is idea for solo play.  I do it all the time.

Thanks for the replies - that's cleared that one up then gui%C3%B1o.gif .... any further opinions greatly received.  Hope to get the game today so should be able to have a good luck over the next few days.

I've played a LOT of solo play; about 6-8 scenarios.  I'm going to fall in between the two opinions so far and say it's so-so for solo play.  If you're the type of person who's dedicated to solo play, and experienced with playing two-player wargames solo, it should be VERY rewarding.  It really depends on who you are, though, so here's some specific points for you to decide. 

On the good side:

- There's lots of stuff online, and good support, etc, so you can study and prepare beforehand (*cough* at work *cough*).

- There's (usually) no hidden information, so you don't have to worry about pretending not to know stuff.

- For me, anyway, it goes well with beer.

- No arguing about LOS. ;)

On the bad side:

- Setup/tear down time is EXTREME in this game.  A fair and serious warning for solo play is for small scenarios you'll spend MUCH more time setting up/putting away the game as actually playing it.  For larger scenarios, expect to add MULTIPLE HOURS of setup time beforehand.  I am serious and not exaggerating.   Expect to plan far ahead.  Seriously, if you decide at 7pm some night "I think I'll play a midsized ToI solo" you'll suddenly find it's 11pm and you're barely getting started.  If a scenario says it plays in 3-4 hours, this means 6-8+ solo.

As a solo player, the way I deal with this is to spend a night setting everything up, particularly building squads and studying the map board to decide on deployment (it's almost as fun as play).  This you can do with minimal concentration while watching TV or something (*cough* or at work *cough*) .

- There's SO much going on that you're bound to forget a lot.  If this will bother you, avoid.  You need to be the kind of person who can realize that last turn you forgot to activate a bunch of dudes, or can't remember if you did, or forgot to account for some special scenario rule, or could have used a Strategy Card and forgot, or have been playing some significant but minor rule wrong the whole game. 

So in summary, I'm just going to assume if you're a solo player you're familiar with Memoir 44 (if not, go get it).  By comparison, this game gives you a TON more to do, and is very rewarding.  It requires a HUGE time sink versus memoir (think, Memoir's like 5 times faster, minimum).   But it doesn't require that you pretend you don't know your virtual opponent has an Ambush and Counterattack in hand.

Arguing about LOS - Just measure - not that big a problem :-)

Personaly I would hate trying to make a cunning plan, only to switch sides and know all about it. No decoys to attract op fire prematurly, No biddingbattle for Initiative, Imposible to trick your opponent into using command in the way you prefer. No friendly banter over the board. Plenty of games designed for soloplay.

Setup is not that bad. Just keep your counters, boards and units organized, and you can set most games up in 15 - minutes or so. But remember it takes similar time to pack things back up.

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like this one is up for discussion.  Got the game last night and the Normandy expansion (preferred theatre); haven't had time to open it - real life getting in the way!  It's a Bank Holiday in the UK this weekend so hope to have a good go at it - will post once I've got a feel for how things could go.  I'm with Hefsgaard on the 2 better than 1 approach, but once again trying to find (i) someone to play locally and (ii) finding the spare time with a young family - and convincing my better half it's time well spent! - sort of pushes me in the solo direction at the moment - besides I know I'll win that way happy.gif

Yeah I don't think setup/tear down is all that bad either (I kind of like it...it's part of the game fun), however I do have 3 Plano containers to keep everything organized.  It sounds like your life is similar to mine, where you want to play bad enough but "life" keeps interupting.  I setup a table in my spear office/bedroom and leave the game up for a few days playing when I can.  And when you're drinking some beers (specially some of those fine UK Ales that we can't get over here in the states)... well that's a little slice of heaven in my book.