Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darth Ruin

It's time to ban C3P0

419 posts in this topic

if you guess 0, you either get your natural evade and not c3po's, or you get c3po's. Combined with falcon title thats 2 100% evades per turn.

How is that 2 100% evades per turn?  MF title just adds Evade to your action bar. 

I don't play tournies, and I own a printer, my solutions are as follows:

"C3PO comes with a $90 (msrp) ship.  If you wanna spend that for one freaking card, go ahead stupid"

or

"you can't guess 0 evades"

Fat Falcons have ruined the small ship meta; when 6 out of 8 top lists at any given tournament and 25-30% of the player base are carbon copies of the same silly Falcon build utterly killing diversity it's time we had some action from FFG. 

I vote that C3P0's text be errata'd to Huge Ship Only.

You know, I'm trying to construct a logical response to this, but I'm tired and grumpy and I just can't. Maybe we could we all just agree that I composed some lengthy post explaining in detail why this is crazy, and proceed on that basis?

Wow, that was lengthy and detailed, I am unable to refute any of your logical arguments, this is indeed crazy!! You've got my vote!!

C3P0 is a great card. It's thematic and balanced.

Try shooting the Falcon with more than one ship: Problem Solved. 

You do realize that 3po only works once per turn right?

Edit: I'm grumpy like Vorpal. I'm in Florida and the AC just went out.

Edited by JFunk

if you guess 0, you either get your natural evade and not c3po's, or you get c3po's. Combined with falcon title thats 2 100% evades per turn.

How is that 2 100% evades per turn?  MF title just adds Evade to your action bar. 

"C3PO comes with a $90 (msrp) ship.  If you wanna spend that for one freaking card, go ahead stupid"

or

Can't guess 0? Is that an official ruling?

I've suggested two possible fixes in other threads but I'll post them again here.

1) Can't guess 0 for evades

2) Can't be used on a ship with MF title

The second option doesn't make much sense lore wise, so option 1 is probably better. 

It's no longer worth 3 points after option #1

C-3PO is fine.   He's a 3 point upgrade that gives you ONE evade per round - and that isn't even 100%, (considering Wedge, Outmaneuver, or some other nasty thing can reduce your agility).   

He is most effective against SMALL lists - his obvious counter is medium and large size lists.   It's less useful than taking an evade action, since an evade still blocks some damage from Wedge.  There are other 3 point upgrades that give the semi-equivalent of a free action - such as predator.  

Yay I haven't seen a random troll thread for a while ( week maybe ).

1. It does not need fixing, too many thing can mess it up.

2. Who has cookies? I'm bored and want cookies.

9914009.0.jpg

Probably really sad to admit this but that has made my day

Ps: C IS FOR COOKIE, C IS FOR COOKIE!!!!

I know I'm going to need a flame-retardant suit to post in here, but I think FFG has somewhat put themselves in a tough spot with the 3PO card. It's probably the only thing in they game that they've done that has left a sour taste in my mouth (which isn't too bad given the amount of time the game has been out and the amount of variation in the game). I should also say that I primarily play Rebels and love the Falcon, so this isn't merely sour grapes from an Imp player. If you own a Tantive, then it really feels like 3PO is an auto-include these days. I don't think this is directly comparable to ACD for two reasons 1) you're forced to buy the Tantive to get 3PO, which is downright mean of FFG for reasons that have been covered before on the forum, and 2) 3PO pretty much makes the Chewie crew card obsolete since it's better in almost all circumstances and cheaper to boot. I do wish they would either disallow it for non-epic play (since it comes with an epic ship) or nerf it so you can't guess 0.

or

oh, god no.  If the card were to be erratad, that seems to be the least offensive way to do it.  But like someone said upthread, it's not quite worth it then.  But i don't know anything.  I should probably stay away from the chicken littles and trolls.

Why is it crazy? Do you have some vested interest in playing only two lists ever in tournaments, Fat Han/ Phantom Miniswarm? 

You do realize that neither a Fat Han nor a Phantom Miniswarm won the big GenCon tournament, right?  

C3P0 is just fine.  The game so heavily favored offense through the first few waves that playing a defensive game was a losing strategy, now FFG is just adding in some solid defensive upgrades to make a defensive game viable.  

I've suggested two possible fixes in other threads but I'll post them again here.

The second option doesn't make much sense lore wise, so option 1 is probably better. 

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time.  It's right up there with "If she's on top, she can't get pregnant."

Note: I'm not saying that you've ever said the she's on top statement.

I think it might be worth stopping the stoning long enough to consider looking at this from a different angle.

Does C-3PO deserve to be banned?  Probably not.  Is it 100% Falcons everywhere?  No.  But it IS influencing the meta in a way a lot of players don't seem to be enjoying.

And isn't that kinda what "Fly Casual" should be about?  We make a ton of noise about being a friendly, welcoming, play-for-fun community... until someone dares suggest they're not having fun in dealing with a specific card.  Then it's torches and pitchforks time.

I'm honestly coming to think the X-wing community's self-declared friendly awesomeness is misplaced.

or

No, not an official rule, just a house rule.

0 is a number, so it's totally legal.

Porkchop however is not a number. Don't guess porkchop.

You do realize that neither a Fat Han nor a Phantom Miniswarm won the big GenCon tournament, right?  

Yes, the Fat Han build was only second.  And only had 5 of the top 8.

What is up with this absolute obsession that it's only possible for a build to be an issue after it's won one of two annual events?

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long time.  It's right up there with "If she's on top, she can't get pregnant."

Note: I'm not saying that you've ever said the she's on top statement.

Well then, you cock, what do you have to add to the discussion?

Darth Ruin likes this

I trust FFG over backseat designers.

People complain if their list exactly the way they build it and exactly the way they play it doesn't beat everything, those things that beat it are broken. Adapt your squad and adapt your flying: this is a balanced game but of course you'll lose if you fly like it's Wave I.

Edited by Lagomorphia

The problem is that both of those lists are massive extremes and winning one might mean losing to the other.

Here's a question. Who actually can fight a phantom with a suboptimal build against it? What build did you use (and why it's bad against the phantom)? And how did you fly to overcome that?

I went 4-0 against Phantoms at Gencon with the following list:

Roark w/ ICT

Dagger w/ HLC

Blackmoon w/ FCS + R3A2

Bandit

It's not necessarily a suboptimal list, but it's far from it's hard counter.  Furthermore, it holds its own against Fat Han (though my only fight at Nationals against a Fat Han was vs. Paul Heaver, where I lost, but it was much closer than the score would suggest).  Anndd... it holds its own against swarms too.  

It's almost like I threw the meta out of the box for a moment and created a list I wanted to fly, and then shored up its weaknesses... And go figure, it did a **** good job at handling whatever was thrown at me.  And it was fun to fly.

I've been involved in this game since may, about when the tantive hit and 3PO became available and I've yet to fly against one.

I've never even flown against a PROXY.

I play anywhere from 2-5 games a week with multiple people, and not once HAVE I EVEN FOUGHT A FALCON. My current best list (7-1) is pre-wave 4.

So no, the falcon is so far from the problem that Greedo's unmarked grave behind the cantina already has a broken speeder bike on it.

Rob Jedi likes this

I know I'm going to need a flame-retardant suit to post in here, but I think FFG has somewhat put themselves in a tough spot with the 3PO card. It's probably the only thing in they game that they've done that has left a sour taste in my mouth (which isn't too bad given the amount of time the game has been out and the amount of variation in the game). I should also say that I primarily play Rebels and love the Falcon, so this isn't merely sour grapes from an Imp player. If you own a Tantive, then it really feels like 3PO is an auto-include these days. I don't think this is directly comparable to ACD for two reasons 1) you're forced to buy the Tantive to get 3PO, which is downright mean of FFG for reasons that have been covered before on the forum, and 2) 3PO pretty much makes the Chewie crew card obsolete since it's better in almost all circumstances and cheaper to boot. I do wish they would either disallow it for non-epic play (since it comes with an epic ship) or nerf it so you can't guess 0.

Of course, you realize that you're forced to buy the TIE Phantom to get the ACD card, right?  There was nothing mean about packaging C3P0 in the Tantive IV; either it's worth spending the money or it's not.  FFG isn't forcing you to do anything.  You could check out CSI or MM and get them cheaper, or find a place that sells the cards individually.  Guessing 0 evades doesn't result in automatic anything.