Sign in to follow this  
signoftheserpent

Book Binding

I have to give kudos. My photo got me a replacement from FFG with no fuss, and the binding looks good right now. But I've discovered I'm almost afraid to open the book in case it develops the problem through use. Does anyone know a way to shore up binding before problems develop? That seems like the best time to take action. I'd like to take any preventative measures I can.

At any rate, I'm very pleased with the way FFG handled the replacement.

Did they send you guys tracking information? I was sent an email telling me my request was shipped, but that was a week ago and I haven't received anything yet.

Edit: Nevermind. It just showed up. Packaged amazingly well. This copy looks good, but I'm almost afraid to "crack it open" and read it.

Edited by HappyDaze

I just received my replacement from FFG (which was incidently fantastically well packaged).

Alas to no avail.  As soon as I took the book out of the box (it wasn't damaged in shipping) and opened it I looked at the spine and you could see the pages towards the back starting to come free of the glue in the binding.

I am pretty sure this is a manufacturing defect across the whole print run folks.  I am going to drop a note to FFG tomorrow to ask if they will send a replacement once a new print run has been manufactured.  The current books are unusable as they are falling apart within the first couple of hours even if you are careful with the books.  My first edition book is still holding up fine.

A few days ago I saw a copy on the shelf of the Barnes & Noble bookstore. I opened it up and several of the page sections (the rearmost ones, as has frequently been the case) had come away from the glue. They didn't even sit evenly with the rest of the pages when the book was closed and standing upright on the shelf. Not good.

Spoke too soon, while the binding looks okay, those knuckleheads of Amazon didn't put any protection under the book in the box. Result: The box apparently fell and one of the corners got badly damaged.

Probably another month to wait for a replacement I suppose. Le Sigh.

I'll probably get a book with poor binding then for a change.

Edited by Gridash

Question: While the binding of my copy (sent to Germany) seems ok (although it's creaking a little bit) there are some pages or parts of pages, which are printed unsharply (is this the word?). A few pages are really blurred.

Has anyone the same problem?

My new copy arrived this morning, also nicely packaged.

Unfortunately it appears that the last section of pages has already come away from the binding as soon as I opened it for the first time. I foresee a new case being raised in the near future.

Sent in a request with picture attached 2 weeks ago, have not heard a peep other then the automated email response since then.  Should I be worried by the response time?

edit: And I received a response today after emailing about it, yay!

Edited by TheKoolEagle

I haven't even opened my book, and I can already see the last section of pages coming loose. And it's not just Dark Heresy. My Onslaught at Arda I scenario book from the Age of Rebellion RPG is also showing signs of coming apart... and I've only opened that book once. <_<

Just discovered this topic because my group decided to give DH2 a try. My book is suffering from the same problems that many have posted and I just realized the problem the other day. I bought mine at GenCon but only skimmed it lightly until the past few days.

Where did you guys submit a request to get a replacement? I tried http://parts.fantasyflightgames.com/ but it comes up as "This webpage is not available".

Also, any idea when they will have new stock in?

I just went through my book for the first time. Heavy creaking from the book, but that's to be expected from opening it a first time. All in all, it's in decent shape (so far), only noticed a weak part in the last section of the book, where the papers aren't as glued to the cover as the rest are.

I'll keep my eyes on it, but so far so good. My Onslaught at Arda I adventure book for Age of Rebellion had it worse.

DH 2e. is a gorgeous book, by the way. :)

Received my replacement copy last week. Ran my first session and no signs of splitting or cracking so far.

Very happy with the service from FFG; aside from having it never happen in the first place, hard to know what more they could have done :)

Count me as another with a bad binding. Also it seems FFGs Damaged/Missing Pieces webpage is broken as well.

Might have been temporary or a problem with a particular browser type/version.

I got the website working and submitted my request. Got an e-mail saying they cant send me a replacement until the reprint arrives. Hopefully my book does not fall to pieces by then.