Sign in to follow this  
signoftheserpent

Book Binding

Checked the status today, and they said they are sending me a replacement at no cost to me. These guys are awesome!

Let's hope that one doesn't fall apart. :P

I'm cautiously optimistic, but as this appears to be a widespread problem rather than just a few bad books, my caution is beating out the optimism. I'll post when I get it.

There is a pretty significant problem with the glue used in the book binding. I had the first two copies I ordered have page-bundles break away from the spine, and are only held in place by connections to the adjacent page-bundles. 

The first copy I bought started breaking away from its spine the very same evening on which I bought it. Luckily I still had my receipt and had it switched at the store. So far the second book is in good shape. Still, this is the third time I buy an FFG core book that's in terrible shape to begin with. You'd think that a book costing 60 euros could take normal reading.

Edited by Lazzuu

I also got an update on my status page saying they will send me a replacement without cost (and I live in Sweden).

It seems that is their policy and while it is annoying that the book breaks from normal use it is awesome to know that FFG will replace it.

Edited by Hikage.Raito

Makes me wonder about the amount of lost profit because of this.

Me too. Unless we're the unlucky few (and I doubt that) or repairing the books is quick and inexpensive, it'd make more sense to just spend some more money on the binding instead having a higher volume of returns. It's also weird, given the page quality, that the binding isn't as solid as the previous books. 

I wonder if I should cancel my order at this point. That might be a bit too radical though, but the amount of negative feedback on quality does worry me.  :unsure:

Edited by Gridash

I wonder if I should cancel my order at this point. That might be a bit too radical though, but the amount of negative feedback on quality does worry me.  :unsure:

If the bundles are falling out of the cover like everyone else then just take a picture, email FFG showing them that your book is literally falling apart. And they'll send you a new copy. Repeat process as needed until FFG reprint with a semblance of quality control for 2E.

If worst comes to worst they'll probably email you a digital copy.

It's a drastic option, I suppose if you're incredibly careful with it you'll get better mileage out of it. I can't say one way or the other personally.

I'm just worried the replacement copy will have the same issue. I suppose if it is also coming loose, at that point I might be willing to risk trying something drastic with the binding.

My Only War copy is also showing some bad signs. It's loosening at the armoury page. I might be able to fix it myself before it starts falling apart more. And the page bundle part, thing, with all the glue is really bend, not sure if that's normal, it's starting to go into a V in the middle of the book. My Black Crusade and Rogue Trader core rulebooks don't have that.

Le sigh.

Edited by Gridash

Noticed earlier today that my copy has started to come apart after only a couple of weeks. Disappointing, as I'm otherwise really impressed with the rulebook, but I contacted FFG and they've said they will get a replacement out to me. Very happy with the customer service, obviously!

I can't help but wonder if they're being let down by a supplier? Any costs would reflect back on to the supplier on rejects th then, wouldn't they?

Crap, now my book is starting to come apart too, at p.289. And I hardly used it and treat my books like an archivist from Prol IX would. And I paid 60 euro for it, which is a lot for a single book. 

I'm just worried the replacement copy will have the same issue.

I'm thinking the same thing. The problem seems prevalent, until they make a new print run of better quality.

Maybe its because it has more pages than previous rulebooks. But with some stringent editing they could've easily trimmed the book down. Some parts seem to be just page filler, some paragraphs simply repeat a previous paragraph in slightly different words. Other parts are just over-elaborate on extremely simple points.

I got mine two days ago and it is still holding out. But then i haven't open the book all the way (ie lay it flat on the table) yet.

Not gonna risk it with this one. For heavy use i'll just use the pdf version.

I really hope it was just the first batch that got misproduced...

I'll be very careful with it when it arrives here, but I'll have to use it regardless so completely opening the book (lay it flat on the table) will be part of it.

If the binding is poor, it's bound to fall apart at some point, being careful or not.

You don't happen to be from around Antwerp, Robin?