Sign in to follow this  
CeaselessTiger

Torpedo versus Lance

• Exceptional Leader only works if someone can see and hear you. This is important when Navigators are involved, and also because you can`t be simultaneously exhorting your starboard macrocannons to fire better while also directing a Command Test to put out fires in your engine room. Some common sense must be applied

Doesn't the Lord-Captain role negate that requirement?

• Exceptional Leader only works if someone can see and hear you. This is important when Navigators are involved, and also because you can`t be simultaneously exhorting your starboard macrocannons to fire better while also directing a Command Test to put out fires in your engine room. Some common sense must be applied

Doesn't the Lord-Captain role negate that requirement?

You know I've never actually paid attention to the second half of what that role said, but yes. I am completely wrong. I'd still say he can't give it to Navigators, but that is good to know.

Why shouldn't I be able to give it to Navigators? Because Stack the Deck?

Also, quick question about Into the Storm. Them Alternate Career Ranks: Do they replace the rank listed or do they just act as extra stuff you can get? Or is it like a bizarre prestige class in which you can ONLY select from there from then on?

Edited by CeaselessTiger

You take an alternate career rank when you start a new rank (and no, not AFTER you've taken everything from it you wanted first) and that's your rank choices FOR THIS RANK ONLY.

For example, you have the requirements for Legend of the Expanse and you're a Rank 6 Rogue Trader.  You decide you'd rather have what Legend offers instead of what Rank 6 RT offers and exchange them.  You get the Legend stuff (when you pay XP for it, of course).  You don't get the RT stuff.

Why shouldn't I be able to give it to Navigators? Because Stack the Deck?

Also, quick question about Into the Storm. Them Alternate Career Ranks: Do they replace the rank listed or do they just act as extra stuff you can get? Or is it like a bizarre prestige class in which you can ONLY select from there from then on?

I meant during Warp Navigation, because they're staring directly into the Warp and immersed in concentration. Doing it during Ship Combat seems perfectly reasonable.

Alternate Ranks replace the rank, although the book notes that you can purchase from your "original" rank by doubling the EXP you would need to spend from the original rank.

*subject to GM approval. Taking a 'skipped' skill or talent it technically an elite advance.  I imagine most GM would be willing to allow them at the increased price though.

Or you can do as I do and allow all Alternative Ranks as elite advances for 150% if they meet the initial requirements.  Which, unless they want a whole bunch of them tends to be a better value.  (honestly, there are a lot of elite advances in my game.)

I allow purchasing from legitimate Alternate Ranks at an EXP boost as well, otherwise it feels like it penalizes people who stay on the "core" path. Also I wish there were more customization options, without needing to resort to a full conversion to Black Crusade/Only War.

I believe I mentioned this on the "RT 2nd ed." thread, but I'd really like to see Rogue Trader move away from the careers set up to a more open methodology, such as that used in Black Crusade/Only War, or even something that was more akin to the alternate ranks at all levels (ie, unlocking different focuses).  After all, the people who end up as or with Rogue Traders tend to be the (competent) people who don't fit nicely in imperial society.

Anyway, the part actually related to this is, the game moves much smoother if your GM comes up with an easy, static Elite Advance method.  Particularly if you don't have a 'full' crew (which you don't) you'll undoubtedly need to get a few just to fill out lacking skills, such as Navigate: Surface (Or you'll never find your way back to the bridge from the head) or Scrutiny (or you'll never find the head in the first place.)

(As a related story, the issue with Navigate: Surface got so bad in my group it's become a running gag referenced in other games, or even real life.  Someone shows up late to the game - "Man, too bad you couldn't take Navigate: Surface".)

Edited by Quicksilver

I allow purchasing from legitimate Alternate Ranks at an EXP boost as well, otherwise it feels like it penalizes people who stay on the "core" path. Also I wish there were more customization options, without needing to resort to a full conversion to Black Crusade/Only War.

One way to do that could be assigning aptitudes to careers and alt ranks and using them to price advances that are not on your career lists, so long as you meet all the prerequisites.

Alternatively, if you didn't take an alt rank at a given level, you can take from any alt rank at or below that level at a slight increase, but if you did take an alt rank, you can only select from the alt rank or the core rank (at the increased) (or anything you could take from earlier ranks). Cheaper specialization at the cost of versatility. Ish.

Alrighty, that makes a helluva lot more sense. Thanks!

Last question I'll probably pose during this thread (how many times have I said that?). You've all been such good people about all my inane ship questions and so on but I have a question that undoes all that. 

I spent a while agonizing about the power of this ship and you have all assured me of its quality in not running from fights but also not kicking the ass of a Battlecruiser. So now I ask one more question: Is the ship appropriately fluffy? I rather like the idea of an Exploration-based Rogue Trader group. Star Trek as hell, yah? But I want to make sure it's not JUST a crunch machine. We're going to likely get another ship and it'll probably be a transport, so the torpedo boat makes sense since I can customize the Transport with a slower warp drive. Our ship arrives first, clears the area, transport jumps in with its fancy cargo. I just want to make sure I'm not being TOO crunchy. I don't want to be all "I am the humble Lord-Captain Xanatov, here to bring the Emperor's light to the forsaken places of the galaxy!" and at the same time have equipment that makes no goddamn sense with the stated goal.You don't bring a chainsaw to an Arbor Day celebration, after all. 

This probably isn't much of a decent question since, like others have repeated, you don't know my group's playstyle. Is there something I should try trading out? Give up a Melodium for the Librarium Vault? Throw out something else for a Cargo Bay?

Also, and this was an odd one. How would you guys rule on having landing craft? I'm not talking about fighter squadrons but my GM mentioned something along the lines of every 5 Space that the ship has gets one single craft. 35 space yields 7 crafts. For the most part, I imagine this being just cargo haulers and one somewhat agile landing craft so I can descend in style. But I also like the idea of a Venator Pattern Air Yacht. Because safari on a deathworld...even though not a single person in the party has Tracking.  

Thoughts?

Considering some of the other things that have gone by, I'd say it's not insane or unfluffy.  Having a crappy Life Sustainer with a Good Quality Voidsmen's Quarters feels a little odd, but could be explained.  (Perhaps it used to be better, but your great-grandfather gutted it for the field bracing?)  With Warpsbane Hull and Broadband casters you seem to be going very Ave-Imperator.  The Melodium fits in with that, or you could use a temple-shrine instead.  However, if you want the ship to be focused on exploration.  (keep in mind, if you just inherited the warrant, it may be build more for what your father liked to do then what you intend to do)  Then a Librarium Vault (to record observations) and a Cargo-Lighter Bay might make more sense.

On Lighters,

I personally do use an adjustment of the 5 space = 1 Landing Craft rule.  I count an Arvas Lighter as 1/3 of a Landing craft and a Aquila lander as a 1/2 of a Landing Craft.  Guncutters & Bulk Transports are 1 full Landing Craft.  For the more warlike ship, A cruiser that only has a compartmentalize cargo hold, I ruled that 1/3 of the craft were in the "Main Hanger", while the rest were in dedicated single-craft docks across the ship.  This is something you should work out with your GM, but I'd expect the raider to have at least a few landers.  Something like the Venator would likely be a later acquisition however.

Yeah the 1 craft per 5 space makes sense and works quite well. I default them all to being Arvus Lighters, then the players can choose to upgrade them to better craft or replace losses with other types later on. Cargo Holds should allow a few craft to be carried, but not easily launched and retrieved regularly. Launch bays obviously hold many craft.

I believe I mentioned this on the "RT 2nd ed." thread, but I'd really like to see Rogue Trader move away from the careers set up to a more open methodology, such as that used in Black Crusade/Only War, or even something that was more akin to the alternate ranks at all levels (ie, unlocking different focuses).  After all, the people who end up as or with Rogue Traders tend to be the (competent) people who don't fit nicely in imperial society.

Anyway, the part actually related to this is, the game moves much smoother if your GM comes up with an easy, static Elite Advance method.  Particularly if you don't have a 'full' crew (which you don't) you'll undoubtedly need to get a few just to fill out lacking skills, such as Navigate: Surface (Or you'll never find your way back to the bridge from the head) or Scrutiny (or you'll never find the head in the first place.)

(As a related story, the issue with Navigate: Surface got so bad in my group it's become a running gag referenced in other games, or even real life.  Someone shows up late to the game - "Man, too bad you couldn't take Navigate: Surface".)

I like open-progression options more than cookie-cutter character classes...with one caveat...

Just make sure it doesn't result in everyone and their brother purchasing psyker powers.

I like classes when they come with some versatility, the current system strikes me as an ok balance. However, my GM insists that taking a talent or skill - when allowed- costs double the regular cost, not +100 XP. I think this is a houserule, though - can someone confirm? 

I also took Peer (Imperial Navy) so I can make those Plasma Torpedoes Scarce.

Is that RAW,
No.

or some personal House-rule interpretation of the Talent?

That, or a misreading. The Peer Talent gives you +10 on Interaction tests, thus +10 on the commerce roll, which kinda-equals a +2 on the Profit Factor rolls (from Bargaining). But the Profit Factor roll is not itself an interaction test, sadly.

Do Peer Talents affect an items availability?

No. Edited by Tenebrae

I also took Peer (Imperial Navy) so I can make those Plasma Torpedoes Scarce.

Is that RAW,

No.

or some personal House-rule interpretation of the Talent?

That, or a misreading. The Peer Talent gives you +10 on Interaction tests, thus +10 on the commerce roll, which kinda-equals a +2 on the Profit Factor rolls (from Bargaining). But the Profit Factor roll is not itself an interaction test, sadly.

Do Peer Talents affect an items availability?

No.

Ec ept you consider "having Peer(Navy) and Good Reputation (Navy) allowws me to do shopping in a Navy Installation as according to Battlefleet Koronus, where COmponents availability are considered one step more common." Though, it is for components...