Sign in to follow this  
z0m4d

No Prequel Ships Settled

Hexis shared with me today the 2014 FFG In Flight Report at GenCon filmed by Team Covenant and uploaded to YouTube.  CEO Christian Peterson's answer at 1:15:00 should put the Prequel question to rest for a while.  He said (sloppy transcription):

"We're not planning on integrating anything per se in the style of, for example, the Clone Wars cartoon, but with that said, vehicles, characters, storylines, etc that came out of that, those cartoons are part of Star Wars IP [intellectual Property license] in general, and I can't speak whether some of those ships that are shown today were maybe in the cartoon.  I haven't seen them all, so there may be things where you sort of say, ah! that's from the cartoon, they're looking at the cartoon.

More generally we're looking at the sort of game as it is, the Galactic Civil War going way forward, and we're going to try to, we have a significant amount of content, and we're going to throw in some new content with the new cartoon set in that era.  We would not ever put out a product I think that would like the cartoon characters which has this very unique kind of look and stylization to them, but obviously we're thrilled if there was some awesome new type of starfighter that was revealed to us in the Rebels TV show, for example, we would take a very hard look at trying to integrate that into our future plans."

Edited by z0m4d

Star Wars Rebels is set 14 years after Episode III, 5 years before Episode IV.  It would take some awesome starfighter to cause FFG to take a hard look at incorporating anything that early, says the CEO of FFG.

says the CEO of FFG.

That's not what he said though...

He said that if a ship in Rebels was suitable for the game they'd look very hard at getting into the game. He never said Rebels was off limits because of the time frame.

LOL, OP did you even read what you posted?

A distinction should should be drawn here between Prequel ships and ships pre-OT. Prequel ships refers to movies 1-3 and ships like the Naboo fighter and Arc-170s. The upcoming 'Star Wars: Rebels' HOWEVER does take place before the OT but is in the appropriate era for possible use. He seems to have said that Prequel ships (Ep. 1-3) are a bust due to era, but that 'SW:Rebels' ships are possible should they prove worthwhile -- and that they'd have to 'un-cartoon' them. Most of all though he seems confident that there's enough space junk floating throughout the Galactic Civil War era that they'll be fine. There. We good?

A distinction should should be drawn here between Prequel ships and ships pre-OT. Prequel ships refers to movies 1-3 and ships like the Naboo fighter and Arc-170s. The upcoming 'Star Wars: Rebels' HOWEVER does take place before the OT but is in the appropriate era for possible use. He seems to have said that Prequel ships (Ep. 1-3) are a bust due to era, but that 'SW:Rebels' ships are possible should they prove worthwhile -- and that they'd have to 'un-cartoon' them. Most of all though he seems confident that there's enough space junk floating throughout the Galactic Civil War era that they'll be fine. There. We good?

'Bout the only "Cartoon'd" design thus far is The TIE Fighter. Which honestly could be an earlier model and I'd not mind that a bit. Everything else so far is fairly realistic looking.

Now if you want true cartoon'd, look at "Detours".

We will not be seeing ships from Clone Wars.  We will probably be seeing ships from Rebels.

If something from Rebels appears to meet a need for the game, is how I read it--as in, they might not introduce the Ghost if they couldn't find design space to slot it in.

It all sounds kinda vague to me.  He says if the new wave 6 ships were from that era he wouldn't even know.  He says they are focusing on the GALACTIC CIVIL WAR ERA, which everyone knows, but never said they couldn't use prequel ships if they are still in use in that era, which some ships in the game already fit that description (firespray, falcon, z-95, etc).  It just means they wouldn't use any prequel factions or pilots if they did.

He DID clear up though that everything canon is part of the license they can use, so there's no license saying they can't use prequel ships like some people think.

...we're going to throw in some new content with the new cartoon set in that era.

YYyyyyyeahhh...OP, Petersen appears to be saying specifically that new stuff from the 'Rebels' TV series is DEFINITELY IN the game.  Not "maybe", but "for sure".

says the CEO of FFG.

That's not what he said though...

He said that if a ship in Rebels was suitable for the game they'd look very hard at getting into the game. He never said Rebels was off limits because of the time frame.

Correct, he never said it was off limits.  He said the bar would have to be pretty high, though.  The ship would have to be awesome.  That isn't the bar for OT ships, or presumably, Sequel ships.

It all sounds kinda vague to me.  He says if the new wave 6 ships were from that era he wouldn't even know.  He says they are focusing on the GALACTIC CIVIL WAR ERA, which everyone knows, but never said they couldn't use prequel ships if they are still in use in that era, which some ships in the game already fit that description (firespray, falcon, z-95, etc).  It just means they wouldn't use any prequel factions or pilots if they did.

He DID clear up though that everything canon is part of the license they can use, so there's no license saying they can't use prequel ships like some people think.

Right.  So if you see an N-1 or Arc-170 in the upcoming Sequel movies or spin-offs (unlikely IMO), then they might make the product line.  But they're not going backwards.

I hope we get Rebels and Prequel ships alike just to shut the can.

I'm sorry, that seems unlikely, according to what Christian Peterson said.

Oh I don't even want it out of likelihood anymore. I just want either so I can cackle madly at this point. I don't get a chance to thumb my nose at things but the more resistance to it I hear, the sweeter it would be.

Oh I don't even want it out of likelihood anymore. I just want either so I can cackle madly at this point. I don't get a chance to thumb my nose at things but the more resistance to it I hear, the sweeter it would be.

Gloating is ugly.

Gloating is ugly.

Sure is.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but this is the gist I got:

-things specifically from the animated Clone Wars shows aren't in the current plans, although things included in the show but also in other places might be included (but not in the animated style)
-things from "Rebels" could be included if they're cool but they won't be in the stylized animated style (the art design would reflect the same realism we see in the current material)

Rebels does make the most sense to add ships from first, but I still maintain it makes more sense to use prequel/clone wars ships before the sequels because A) the time frame is closer and B)since they are OLD ships, they can still be in use.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but this is the gist I got:

-things specifically from the animated Clone Wars shows aren't in the current plans, although things included in the show but also in other places might be included (but not in the animated style)

-things from "Rebels" could be included if they're cool but they won't be in the stylized animated style (the art design would reflect the same realism we see in the current material)

I believe you're correct.  I think the biggest takeaway, though, is this:

"More generally we're looking at the sort of game as it is, the Galactic Civil War going way forward..."

That would seem to preclude any Prequel ships, unless they were to suddenly appear in the Sequel or spin-off movies, which I find highly unlikely.

Hexis shared with me today the 2014 FFG In Flight Report at GenCon filmed by Team Covenant and uploaded to YouTube.  CEO Christian Peterson's answer at 1:15:00 should put the Prequel question to rest for a while.  He said (sloppy transcription):

"We're not planning on integrating anything per se in the style of, for example, the Clone Wars cartoon, but with that said, vehicles, characters, storylines, etc that came out of that, those cartoons are part of Star Wars IP [intellectual Property license] in general, and I can't speak whether some of those ships that are shown today were maybe in the cartoon.  I haven't seen them all, so there may be things where you sort of say, ah! that's from the cartoon, they're looking at the cartoon.

More generally we're looking at the sort of game as it is, the Galactic Civil War going way forward, and we're going to try to, we have a significant amount of content, and we're going to throw in some new content with the new cartoon set in that era.  We would not ever put out a product I think that would like the cartoon characters which has this very unique kind of look and stylization to them, but obviously we're thrilled if there was some awesome new type of starfighter that was revealed to us in the Rebels TV show, for example, we would take a very hard look at trying to integrate that into our future plans."

Fair enough.

I still think the mini-carrier from the new show would be a great addition.

Regarding the bold bit; I've been saying this for ages.

So you've already gone back to being a ****? I mean that apology thread wasn't that long ago.