Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Catastrophic09

When and where do you get your monthly packs from?

39 posts in this topic

Just curious as to where most of you order your Deluxe, Saga and monthly AP's from. Do you get them from your FLGS or somewhere online? And then when do you actually get your hands on them from release date to be able to start playing?

FLGS has them a few days before the Friday Release dates. Worth the extra couple of bucks to me over waiting for cool stuff to ship them

If I'm up to date on the quests and itching for a new one I'll pick them up at my FLGS which has them ~20% off.  Otherwise I'll wait for a few to come out and make a bulk order on coolstuff. 

I've been tempted to sign up for the Team Covenant subscription service because I love their videos, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I order mine from the Warstore. I'm from Long Island so I just pick them up at their physical Hobby Store but sometimes they're not the best at getting the packs as soon as they say they will. Usually I can pick the packs up the Saturday after release but my Trouble in Tharbad is still MIA and I had a lot of trouble last winter. That wasn't entirely their fault as all the snow storms ****** over a lot of shipping.

If I'm up to date on the quests and itching for a new one I'll pick them up at my FLGS which has them ~20% off.  Otherwise I'll wait for a few to come out and make a bulk order on coolstuff. 

I've been tempted to sign up for the Team Covenant subscription service because I love their videos, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Discounted packs from your FLGS sounds amazing! I've also thought about Team Covenant as it definitely sounds like a good option..

I bought a bunch of stuff online when I started out because it was cheap. Now that I'm up to date, I've switched to my FLGS (same one as Teamjimby, in fact!).

Teamjimby likes this

There's no store in Chile that brings Lotr lcg with any kind of regularity, so I just order the expansions from Thebookdepository.com, which has free shipping so it's pretty cheap to import them. The bad thing is that they take more or less 1 month to arrive, and they don't have POD quests or Nightmare packs.

Coolstuff or Amazon.  I've saved over $100 buying online and being patient for the pack to come rather than rushing to buy it at a store for 35% more.  I don't get why people buy things for a larger price when they can get it so cheap online.  At least people in the US.  

I don't get why people buy things for a larger price when they can get it so cheap online.  At least people in the US.  

Sometimes you want the pack the day it's released and can't wait the week for shipping.  Sometimes you don't mind paying extra because you want to support your awesome FLGS.  Sometimes you are only buying 1 pack so you don't save anything because of shipping.  If none of those are true, then yes, you should buy online.

Catastrophic09 and John85 like this

I live in Sydney, Australia where the packs are released about 2 and a half weeks later than in the US. This means that I usually wait that extra two weeks and buy it from my LGS but I will often buy directly from FFG online if there are enough new products I don't have so that I'm okay with paying so much shipping or if there is a particular pack I am desperate to get my hands on. After my last experience doing this however, paying about $44 shipping and then not receiving the cards for about 3 weeks plus (estimated about a week and a half) I will not be doing this again........ hopefully :P
I've also bought additional player cards and a few POD scenarios from Ebay and have even ordered from book depository once which was super duper cheap but the order got to me like two days after the AP came out at my LGS so I just bought a copy from them and the book depository one was just a complete waste so now I have a spare copy of The Dunland Trap.....

I don't get why people buy things for a larger price when they can get it so cheap online.  At least people in the US.  

Sometimes you want the pack the day it's released and can't wait the week for shipping.  

Why can't you wait a week for shipping....

Edited by Khamul The Easterling

For me, buying one adventure pack from the FLGS is typically the same price as buying on Amazon, assuming free shipping from Prime. The moment shipping enters the equation, the local store comes out ahead.

Sometimes you want the pack the day it's released and can't wait the week for shipping.  

Why can't you wait a week for shipping....

I don't mind waiting, but I know some people "need" things the day they are released and it's worth it to them to pay an extra $5.  It's kind of like people that need to see a movie on opening night, whereas I will happily wait a few weeks if it means the theater is less crowded.

I'm subscribed to Team Covenant's monthly service as of rather recently. It costs extra to ship from the US to Sweden of course, but I calculated the total costs of a six-month subscription and realised that it would barely be cheaper to dig through Amazon and Ebay manually and pay for individual postage. They get the packs pretty early and it's really convenient to have them delivered to your door. Plus, I really like their videos and happily support them! I'm expecting Trouble in Tharbad in a short while.

Catastrophic09 and Teamjimby like this

I'm still catching up on purchases (about to start the Against the Shadow cycle), and it's pretty much all purchased through Amazon.  We have a really nice game store here in Lexington, SC that I just recently discovered and thought about subscribing with, but the prices on Amazon can't be beat with Prime shipping (saving $5-$7 per AP).  The only area where the game store wins out is the cost of sleeves, and I'm sure that's a very low profit margin for them.  To top it all off, the FLGS is moving clear across the county at the first of next month, so finding that out kind of sealed the deal for me.  When I finally catch up to what's currently being released, I'll probably still order through Amazon, as the quick shipping and low price are really tough to compete with.

Edited by deeth82
Catastrophic09 likes this

Nice, it seems everyone gets their packs a little differently. The main factors are price, arrival time and supporting something.  So for some, they want to save as much as possible but other want to support their game store so are willing to pay extra and then some just want packs as soon as possible so will pay extra!

I bought the core and a few of the Mirkwood packs from a game store to get started on this game but have since mostly bought everything online because the few bucks you save you can put into more packs. In general between Amazon and Ebay I could easily get AP packs for $12-13 and the bigger boxes as low as $21 which includes shipping and taxes so that's way cheaper and saves a lot!

Now that I've been caught up with the current releases for a few months, buying online can be a bit annoying as you have to wait a while to get your hands on the newest exciting packs and they're almost full price when newly released anyway so I may switch up to Team Covenant subscriptions  :)

deeth82 likes this

I get almost all of my gaming stuff from coolstuff. I wait until I have enough wanted product in my wishlist to hit the free shipping threshold.

deeth82 likes this