Sign in to follow this  
devotedknight

What type of expansion would you like to see for X-Wing?

What fantasy flight games should do for a Expansion, (Not a Wave) is add more variants of the existing ships.

The game is “X-Wing” and each “Wave" is getting away from the main theme, (in my humble opinion.) Fantasy Flight should add more variants of the existing ships. This happens for real in every Air force. Take example of the B-52, there are 12 different variants of this aircraft alone, each one modified and upgrade with new technology.

The dial for these ships would not change, but there should be slight differences in the technology for each variant. This could give all players a new twist and still keep the flavor of X-Wing. (As well as letting the player, keep playing their favorite ships!)

For examples, here are some Tie Fighter Variants;

Tie Fighter equipped with an Auto Blaster as standard issue.

Tie Fighter equipped with a targeting computer as standard issue, and still gets a Modification upgrade. This makes perfect sense, since each “New Model” of Tie Fight is upgraded on the assemble line with the newest technology.

Here are some examples of Tie Bomber Variants.

Variant A removes two torpedo slots and replaces them with second bomb slot and a crew slot. ( I would keep the missile slot just because of the variety of the ordinance.)

Variant B removes two torpedo slots and replaces one with a cannon slot, and the other with a tail gunner, (In effect, having the same firing arcs as a Fire Spray, Forward and Aft)

Variant C become and EW (Electronic Warfare) Version. Remove two torpedo slots and the bomb slot. Add two System upgrade slot and a crew slot. (With the ability to pass Target Locks! Because that is what EW Vessels do!)

Every ship in the game could get several variants.

Fantasy Flight could package in a box the same size as the core game, with four models. The empire expansion would be called, "Pilots of the Empire", And the Rebels expansion would be called, "Pilots of the Rebellion"  The Empire would have the Tie Fighter, Tie Advanced, Tie Bomber, And Tie Interceptor. The Rebels would get a X-Wing, A-Wing, Y-Wing, B-Wing.  Each expansion would have about a 100 different pilots. as well as pilots of the variants.

What I am really talking about is changing the Upgrade Bar. FFG could just print up more Pilot cards. They could print ships with different upgrades at the bottom. How about "Howlrunner" in a Tie Interceptor. The possibilities or endless giving the game much needed variety.

Just my humble opinion!

Here are two example, one for the Empire and one for the Rebel,

Empire example;

Tie Bomber Scimitar Squadron Pilot,

Upgrade printed on the bottom of the card are, (not including the one Modification)

Torpedo

Torpedo

Missile

Missile

Bomb

A variant of the bomber would only change the upgrades printed on the bottom of a card

Tie bomber Model B

Upgrades printed on the pilot cards

Crew

Missile

Missile

Bomb

Bomb

This variant replaced the torpedo upgrades and replace one with a crew upgrade and the other with a extra bomb upgrade. And this ship would still be eligible to add one Modification.  This is how it is printed on the Pilot Card.

Rebel example,

Y-Wing Gold Squadron Pilot worth (18 points)

Upgrades, not counting the Modification.

Turret

Torpedo

Torpedo

Astromech

Y-Wing Varaint Model B, The upgrades printed on the Pilot card could be.

Turret

Bomb

Bomb

Astromech

Or

Turret

Missile

Missile

Astomech

These variants are printed pilot cards that have a different set of upgrades.

FFG could make one Expansion for the Empire, Called “Pilot of the Empire” and One for the Rebellion, called “Pilots of the Rebellion”. Adding about a hundred pilot card, all the counters needed, plus anything else they wish to add. But No models because that would be a waste. 

I would be content with an Aces pack for each ship currently available. More upgrades, like with new ships, but it also gives repaint versions and builds your fleet as well, without the need to buy multiples of the same expansion. I love having 4 squints, but wouldn't have actually bought 4 Interceptor packs. I'm definitely looking forward to the Y-wing update.

My favorite EU ship is the T-16 Skyhopper, which, unknown to most, IS capable of space travel.  It is pressurized and specialized for trans-orbital flight.  I'd leave it up to the designers to decide what it could bring to the game, but I'd like to see it on the table.

I may be chastised for the next part.  I am no huge fan of the prequels, but there are some legitimately cool ships in the prequel trilogy and Clone Wars series..  I would love to see the Republic and CIS added as new factions in the game.  There are even some pretty awesome bounty hunters from the prequel/clone wars era that could be added to the scum faction.

What fantasy flight games should do for a Expansion, (Not a Wave) is add more variants of the existing ships.

This is the second time your suggested fix has had its own thread, and at least the fourth time I've seen you copy and paste the same post. Please stop.

1) Really! Seriously, I am doing exactly what you requested.

Your words:

“EDIT TO ADD:  if you want to continue this discussion i would recommend you start a new thread or necro your old one...we dont need to derail this thread”

I did as you requested, so I don’t understand what your complaining is about? That’s not really cool.

p.s. Of course I copy and pasted, which is one of the great marvels of modern technology. The first post you have seen before, the second one was new to the old post.  I felt that I need to post the past posts so everyone would be understand where I am coming from.

2) I have not said anything illegal, immoral, unconstitutional or unpatriotic. Nor have said anything prejudice, rude, negative, insulting, disrespectful nor have I put anyone down in any way. I have my opinion which I wish to express on a “Forum”, because that is what forums are for.

3) My next statement is not meant to offend, insult or be disrespectful. I have served this Great Country to “DEFEND EVERYONE’S RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH!” I will continue to defend everyone’s rights, (even yours!) against Dictators, Nazis, Communist, and Terrorists. And I will not let anyone deny me, my right to FREEDOM OF SPEECH either. Especially when they are murdering people in parts of the world for doing so. 

Since I am not afraid of any consequence for expressing my views and I will continue to do so. So you really have three options

1) Ignore my posts.

2) Express your opinion, respectfully.

3) Or BAN me from the “Forum”.

I sincerely hope that you have wonderful morning, afternoon or evening. 

This is the second time your suggested fix has had its own thread, and at least the fourth time I've seen you copy and paste the same post. Please stop.

1) Really! Seriously, I am doing exactly what you requested.

Your words:

“EDIT TO ADD:  if you want to continue this discussion i would recommend you start a new thread or necro your old one...we dont need to derail this thread”

I did as you requested, so I don’t understand what your complaining is about? That’s not really cool.

p.s. Of course I copy and pasted, which is one of the great marvels of modern technology. The first post you have seen before, the second one was new to the old post.  I felt that I need to post the past posts so everyone would be understand where I am coming from.

2) I have not said anything illegal, immoral, unconstitutional or unpatriotic. Nor have said anything prejudice, rude, negative, insulting, disrespectful nor have I put anyone down in any way. I have my opinion which I wish to express on a “Forum”, because that is what forums are for.

3) My next statement is not meant to offend, insult or be disrespectful. I have served this Great Country to “DEFEND EVERYONE’S RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH!” I will continue to defend everyone’s rights, (even yours!) against Dictators, Nazis, Communist, and Terrorists. And I will not let anyone deny me, my right to FREEDOM OF SPEECH either. Especially when they are murdering people in parts of the world for doing so. 

Since I am not afraid of any consequence for expressing my views and I will continue to do so. So you really have three options

1) Ignore my posts.

2) Express your opinion, respectfully.

3) Or BAN me from the “Forum”.

I sincerely hope that you have wonderful morning, afternoon or evening.

Don't put my words in vorpals mouth please. I am more than capable of taking the credit for those words myself. I am at work now and will respond to you properly after I get home...when I have a functioning keyboard

My favorite EU ship is the T-16 Skyhopper, which, unknown to most, IS capable of space travel.  It is pressurized and specialized for trans-orbital flight.  I'd leave it up to the designers to decide what it could bring to the game, but I'd like to see it on the table.

I may be chastised for the next part.  I am no huge fan of the prequels, but there are some legitimately cool ships in the prequel trilogy and Clone Wars series..  I would love to see the Republic and CIS added as new factions in the game.  There are even some pretty awesome bounty hunters from the prequel/clone wars era that could be added to the scum faction.

I like the "Clone Wars" series. And I agree, their are some really cool ships. And It would be cool to fly against at Vulture droid. And I think that the Republic Frigate is really cool. There would be many factions to choose from. Though I believe that the prequels/clone wars should be a separate game. As should be the "Postquels".  

Happily buy a full set of something JUST to get the new Armada Howlrunner art on an x-wing pilot card.

But in a more serious vein, more 'aces' or 'most wanted' type expansions. Repaints, loads of new cards and new ways to play older/less used ships.

But yeah, I'd totally by alternate art card sets.

Don't put my words in vorpals mouth please. I am more than capable of taking the credit for those words myself. I am at work now and will respond to you properly after I get home...when I have a functioning keyboard

You are right, And I own Vorpal Sword an apology. So I apologize to Vorpal Sword, I got you confused with SkakeZoola72. I am after all only human. Please forgive.

Happily buy a full set of something JUST to get the new Armada Howlrunner art on an x-wing pilot card.

But in a more serious vein, more 'aces' or 'most wanted' type expansions. Repaints, loads of new cards and new ways to play older/less used ships.

But yeah, I'd totally by alternate art card sets.

Yea, I in to playing older / less use ships. Maybe some new pilot cards or something!

I want a YT-2000 that can be used for both Rebels and Scum with Ace Azameen as its Rebel pilot and Anton Azameen as its scum pilot.

THIS. Looks like Andrasta is making an appearance, so Otana certainly should too. I foresee it appearing in wave 7 with both Rebel and Scum pilots.

I still think that my variant idea is good and sound. Maybe 100 of pilot for each faction would be too difficult to achieve, but on a smaller scale I think it would be prefect, especially for the Tie Bomber and the Y-Wing. I truly believe that a few modified Tie Bombers and Y-Wings would benefit the game and enhance the game for all players. For example; I would like to see an Imperial Bomber Aces Pack, with a few Tie Bomber variants, modified for special missions. If I could only choose 3 modified bombers, they would be the following:

Bomber Model B, Unnamed pilot with a PS 6, with the following upgrade bar: Pilot elite, Crew, Cannon, Missile, Missile, System.

Bomber Model C, Named Pilot with PS 7, with the following upgrade bar, Pilot elite, Crew, Crew, System, Missile, Missile. With some type of special ability to help other ships, or cause some difficulty, maybe something like jamming, to the enemy ships

Bomber Model D, Unnamed pilot, with PS 5, with the following upgrade bar. Pilot elite, Crew, missile, missile, bomb, bomb.

I really love bombers, and there are only 4 pilot cards. Major Rhymer is way to expensive to tournament play, I could never get him to work. That leaves only 1 pilot card with a elite pilot up grades. The options for bombers are very limited. And with the new waves I find it almost impossible to get them to work.

They could also be a Rebel Aces Pack for the Y-Wing, which also suffers from only 4 pilot cards. This pack could use a few  Y-Wing Variants to modifies the ship for special missions. I have posted these modifications else where, and I will not paste them here. Unless requested.  

I truly believe that this is doable and will be enjoyed by all. Well those who love bombers or the Y-Wing that is!

Once again I apologize if my choice of words offends you...yes I do feel you are a bit on the naive side or as i also stated so enamored with your "Super Awesome" idea that "fixes" a bunch of problems that only you seem to see that you are unable to comprehend what your proposal would do to the game in the long term.  You may not see the looming balancing issues with this idea...but the majority of us here do.  Its still a bad idea.  

I see you may be capable of modifying it though.  So you want to narrow this to just the bomber and Y wing now?  From what I could surmise from the quote below you seem to be mainly interested in "fixing" the bomber?  Because it is your favorite ship?  If they dont institute your idea you will take your ball and go home?  Kinda childish ne?  But I can understand the frustration...Im not thrilled with the Defenders dial (still learning how to use it properly).

th Faction, I'm not going to buy it!

3rd Faction or Wave 6, I'm not going to buy that either!

Wave 5, I bought a defender, and that's all I will buy.

I want my money back for the Tie Advance, and the Y-Wing. Waste of money.

I will buy only those up grades for a Tie Fighter, Tie Advanced, Tie Interceptor, and Tie Bomber. I want more Tie Bombers pilots. Since none of that is not going to happen. I see that I most like will not be playing this game much longer. 

The bomber is incredibly efficient for the points...its only real drawback is the difficulty of properly utilizing torpedoes and missiles, something that is getting better with each passing wave.

I have tried on each occasion to explain to you my opinion (an opinion that many people I would venture the majority here agree with) but you pretty much refuse to even engage.  You simply brush off my points like so:

And please don’t tell me that the players can’t handle to many options. I want many options so I can play this game many years!

As to regards to your statement, "Your ew bomber completely negates a named shuttle pilot." I don't find this to be an argument. 

Thats not really how you should be attempting to convince those of us who disagree...

What you keep copying and pasting is essentially a plan to completely change the list building part of the game as I went into detail on last time...and on top of that what you suggest can be accomplished with rules we already have in the game...titles they are called.  I already explained to you once before that your idea is essentially the "royal guard" title for every ship in the game (or at least any bomber or y wing in your latest modified variant.)  I too want to see a better Y wing...though I have always despised the rebellion I do love the Y wing and want to see it be more than it is.  If this this proposal were to go through it should be passed off a title (limited by PS the same way the royal guard is and not adding nearly the upgrades you want it to add...there are too many)

Players should have many more pilots to choose from, they really don't  have the variety they should and that limits what a player can build, which is usually the same old thing! I finding the game very "Limited" and "Lacking" is many aspects.

You have never played 40K have you?  That game has Palpatine knows how many options...2/3 of which are useless or close to...they have ENTIRE ARMIES that are useless (why yes I played Necrons in 5th!!)

This game isnt like that...and if the lose their focus on play testing and balance this game could easily spiral into that place...it doesnt take much to decimate balance.  Once you tip that scale too much the "power creep" kicks in and it becomes a difficult process to break.

As it stands we have an absolute plethora of options to choose from weather they be in ships, pilots, EPTs, and all sorts of other upgrades with plenty more on the way from the new TV show, movies, and faction.  Now that Armada and Imperial Assault are coming out maybe the releases for this will finally slow down a little bit (which the game does need IMHO.)  Too many releases too fast not only hurt the games longevity but can mess with balance if not enough research is done, FFG has managed to avoid this thus far. 

FFG has done an absolutely TREMENDOUS job in maintaining the balance of this game and for that I thank them...based on my experience with this game, Civilization (my other favorite PC series). Relic, and the upcoming XCOM they have earned a long time customer out of me.  Other companies would have crashed and burned this game by now especially with the accelerated release schedule they have been running lately.  Your idea runs counter to the balance this game has been able to maintain (simply printing a point value on the card isnt "balance") and that is why I am against it.  Its too risky to the integrity of the game for to little financial reward.

To answer the subject of this thread...I personally want to see an Imperial huge.  Its stupid that the side known for large ships is stuck w just fighters.  I would also like to see the acrylic tokens and dice go on sale...I would buy the dice no doubt and maybe a few of the tokens depending on price.  I really want acrylic or plastic range rulers though...my firing distance ruler got bent.  Finally more missions!!  I want a reason to play more than just 100-200pt skirmishes all the time!  The nice thing about missions...they dont have to be balanced.  They are purely for fun...hmmm maybe one of your "super awesome" ships could find its way into there?