Sign in to follow this  
Asoral

What sort of campaigns/story arcs would/should/could you play in FaD?

Heya guys, I just recently started GMing a FaD campaign to most of my EotE group, mainly because I thought it would be nice to GM for a change and to give the other GM a chance to play, too.

So far we have played through the starter story in the back of the book and it kinda got me wondering, what kind of stories have the rest of you told/wanted/planning to tell in this system?

So, any thoughts, rumblings, millings?

SPOILERS for the adventure

Especially the end of the back of the book adventure got me wondering about the whole "when is it good idea to give the players lightsabers" whatnot with the end basically being "you beat the baddie, here, please take your complimentary lightsaber crystals"

easiest one for me would to have a group of Padwans sent on missions to recover artifacts.  Likely make the time frame 4000-3000 BBY

My other thought was to have a group of Padwans and re do the whole prequals, maybe even the clone wars.  Have one fall to the dark side, and another become Obi-wan, then jump them to ANH eventually

The idea i had was that the players were rescued at a young age (say 5 to 7) from the Jedi temple the night of order 66 by a freshly minted, inexperienced Jedi Knight. He hides with them in the Unknown Regions and teaches them to hide the Force and stay on the light side hoping that other Jedi would survive and restore the order. When the force wave of Alderan's destruction hits him and the players (19 years later) the Knight realizes that it is up to him and these untrained former young-lings to restore it. So he gives them a crash course in Jedi (2-3 Session prologue)and a few years later they come back to the galaxy proper (start of main campaign).

I'd probably go for mystery-campaigns, exploration of old temples, civilisations, hunting for artefacts and secret, forgotten knowledge. Considering that I'd probably have to deal with AoR and EotE characters too, I'd add in both the Empire and some underworld organisation, even the rebellion. The focus would remain on the mysteries of the Force if I could have it my way - this of course depends very much on my players' desires.

Personally the first campaign I'll play will be a Jedi campaign during the Golden Age of the Republic. Starting out as younglings for a few sessions taking time to learn about the Jedi Orders history, philosophy and about the force, taking time to learn to know a few key NPCs, a few jedi knights, masters, padawans and fellow younglings in their class. Eventually moving on to playing padawans with and without their masters, training, giving/taking lessons and learn more about the force and what it means to be a Jedi. Been sent on missions from their masters, and other Jedi masters, i.e. those on the council. Getting new friends and interacting with the planets, systems and settlements their masters has been ordered to protect. Their masters will all be Watchmen over a few systemts in the Auril sektor and when the PCs reach the levels of Jedi knights, they will also be apointed as watchmen in that area. Relations, diplomacy and negotiation will be the lead focus in where the Characters and players get to realize that it is so much more to be a Jedi then having access to 'magic' and a glorified glowrod.

Eventually though, time will lead the campaign into the Clone Wars, and our Jedi will be asked to take up their swords and their knowledge to lead Republic troops to protect the Auril Sektor from the Separatist alliance. Diplomacy and negotiations fail but the Jedi must keep up their moral standards, their ethics and continue try to follow the Jedi code, even in the harshest of battles and the war. Will they lose faith in the Code, the Order or the Republic or will they adhere to their principles even though it might be really hard. Though, sooner or later during the wars, the order will come to their clone troopers, that the Jedi order is traitors to the Republic. Have the PC Jedis befriended the clones enough or whatever reason, they survive the initial order 66. But the Republic is no more, the Jedi order is no more and the war is no more. And they are consider traitors to the old republic and the new Empire. Everything they have ever known is destroyed and lost. The last great story arc in this campaign will be what the PCs decide to do after Order 66, and I can only imagine.      

I'll list the options I had in mind:

1. Old, Old Republic:
    the Sith vs Jedi Wars. Basically Age of Rebellion Campaign with Jedi and Sith. Starting in Boot Camp and rushed to the front, rising in ranks, being assigned special missions for sabotage, scouting or rescue. Basic but awesome, and if you're mad enough, you can play from the Sith perspective.

2. Golden Age of the Republic:
    Basically what Poseur said, with options including either padawans starting long before the clone wars or during.

3. Rise of the Empire/Galactic Civil War:
    Being saved from Order 66, trying to survive, being on the run etc.. Difficult but fun since you possibly get to play the Master yourself or chose a veteran player as your (secret) ally and mentor.

4. Young Jedi Knights.
    After the fall of the Empire the Jedi Academy is rebuilt and the PC's are attending. Imagine Highschool with group travelling since the new jedi Academy is a very "hands on, get out there and use what you learned"-type of school. Just read the Young Jedi Knight Books, they are youth literature and hard to find (at least around here) but they give a good impression on whats happening. Also the Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is a good guideline and has been played by most of my gaming group.

To be honest, I'll probably go with option 4, since the movies will probabliy cover that area and if I know my players correctly, this will boost their attendance and devotion to the campaign :)

Edited by derroehre

Three PCs with 200 xp (from prior characters, getting passed to new ones):

A Human female Shadow/Infiltrator/Shien Expert

A Twi'lek female Advisor/Performer/Makashi Duelist

A Transdoshan male Aggressor/(possible Enforcer)/Shii-Cho Knight

They each have their individual stories, were all captured by the Inquisitorus and are on a SW version of a WH40K Black Ship. They escaped together when Alliance forces attacked said ship, allowing them to flee. It'll be a game of self-discovery and finding out where you fit in a galaxy of threats.

Edited by Alderaan Crumbs

My super-ambitious plan is to kick episodes 1-3 to the curb and redo the clone wars entirely from scratch, using only the hints dropped to us by the original trilogy. Plus the madness of the Players' collective imagination. 

Feel free to borrow from this without reservation!

I like the idea of running one session that encompasses a lot of their training as Padawans to potentially take place over the duration of several game years. By the end of the first session (or the second) I would have them graduate as Apprentice Jedi, but not yet Masters, with assignments to go out and practice what they have learned. 

The purpose of the training would be a way to break new players (and the GM) into the system and learn the rules of Force and Destiny, plus the fun of watching the inexperienced Padawans flail about with routine chores and character building exercises. As it is, I'm trying to think of more of those character building exercises, where the Jedi Master gives the Padawans a vague assignment and leaves the details of how to perform it up to the students. They may choose a lazy way, or the hard way, and the Master will review their lesson and talk about the implication of their choices. I'm trying to think of more 'chores' to have the Padawans run, stuff that might be routine for the characters.

As far as lightsabers go, just give the Jedi the crystals over time, and have them make some kind of Force check to see if they're prepared to make the lightsaber, as it isn't something you can just do. It might seem unfair for the rest of the group to have lightsabers while one apprentice still has to use a training lightsaber, but I think it adds to character development if your group is really there to roleplay.

My other thought was to have a group of Padwans and re do the whole prequals, maybe even the clone wars.  Have one fall to the dark side, and another become Obi-wan, then jump them to ANH eventually

We did this one, and it was wildly successful. We started an All Padawan game back in 2000 set just before the invasion of Naboo. Over the next 7 years we played through the 10 years between E1 and E2, got involved with the start of the Clone Wars (we were doing some important unseen setup just off screen) and had the game climax with a showdown with the groups Personal Nemesis on top of a speeding Maglev Train against the backdrop of a raging war - the invasion of Courscant. And then I as the GM got to do my darnedest to try and kill the players as Order 66 dropped.

It was great fun and a real blast to play out the saga in real time, the movies unfolding as we went. It'll be hard to top that for Epic Adventure.

Right now we're just kicking off a Tales of the Old Republic game set in the Sith/Republic Cold War, some 3,000-ish years before New Hope. So, Jedi and Sith everywhere, intrigue and mystery and spies and counterspies and espionage, and some occasional shooting at each other. It sounds very promising. 

Still just kinda brainstorm concepts, but, this is what I got so far.

The crew is hired by a relative or other interest to investigate a small farming colony that has gone silent.  Upon arrival, the crew finds the colony deserted and FS will get a Strong feeling of uneasiness or the Darkside if they have Sense.  Earlier, the leader of the colony, who was unaware that he was FS, discovered a long buried domed building.  Inside the building is a gigantic dark-side machine, an early failure of Darth Belia Darzu.  Any animal attached to the machine is slowly transformed into DS abominations, while sentients  are transformed into DS shadows.  The shadows can shift between being incorporeal and solid.  The colony leader, will have received training from......possibly Force Spirit of Belia????  He's building an army of shadows to begin a "I will rule the Galaxy" bid (undecided why he's building an army)

I was thinking of doing a Jedi knight group that is fleeing after order 66 but then I was thinking I could actually do it sooner since there was a couple of clone wars episodes dealing with the younglings by them selves fleeing from order 66. I would let the group make two characters one as a Jedi and the other as a member of the ships crew since they did interact with the crew. I got this idea from Darth Vader's novel where he tracks down a Jedi master and his youngling as they go into hiding.

I would then have them hear about Jedi artifacts and they can look into these artifacts and holocrons. I would also leave some Jedi things in the ship that they need to look for to protect them from. I am working on their adversary or adversaries as well maybe an inquisitor tracking them down. Maybe the first confrontation have a clone or two recognize the characters and really did like them when they were in the temple, they defect with the group devoting their lives to protecting the jedis.

I had the idea of running Dawn of Defiance using a blend of characters from all three games, with the idea that AoR characters would have their Duty connected to House Organa instead of the (non-existent at the time) Rebel Alliance.  Dunno if I'd go through the whole thing (or just skip Echoes of the Jedi since it contributes zilch to the overall campaign), but could be interesting to see how characters under FFG's system fare and progress in comparison to Saga Edition PCs.

My plan at this point is that the Pc's are all force sensitives being trained by an ex-Jedi who sends the group out on a training run requiring them to use their senses to find the lessons he has placed. The groups master actually sent them out because he has had a vision showing a Dark Jedi Inquisitor standing over his dead body. The last lesson is in fact a message telling them the real reason for the mission and suggesting that they try to meet someone at Alderaan. 

E

I'm thinking if my players ever choose the Master option that is apart from the story. I may make the master a Neti who had taken root on a planet, and thus is unable to travel with them in their adventures, but can still be contacted and provide help and training.

Personally, I'd avoid: 

• Training
  • Classrooms
  • Sessions
  • Younglings

Basically, anything that is really important in the real world, and boring as hell in an adventure game. 

Similar to what FFG recommends, following the classic tropes is usually best; things like introducing a plot in the middle of the action.  

Unless it's some kind of specific training mission or something, or you've crafted it in such a way that there actually are stakes outside of education, I'd pass.