Sign in to follow this  
Alderaan Crumbs

Are Jedi making us expect too much?

My ideal Jedi RPG would use a system entirely incompatible with the corresponding muggle game precisely so as to prevent pissing contests and let each focus on providing the best experience to their respective players.

Like, one of the fundamental design parameters would be to prevent people from comparing characters from each game against each other.

Edited by Sylpheed

A lot of my expectations from it come from EU exploits, to be honest. The shenanigans that the full-fledged Jedi - whether under Old Republic, or Luke's NJO - pull off are astounding and spectacular, as befits someone with years of training and a fair amount of innate talent.

I would really like to be able to play the exploits of such a character - rather than the daily grind at the Temple as they learn to levitate increasingly bigger rocks. Yes, I know, this would be solved if the GM simply awards 500xp to start with. And while I know my situation may not be the norm - I don't *have* anyone to play this under. If it happens at our table - it's because I'm running it. I'm thinking the only solution is going to be a DM PC built on the same rules they players follow - without much in the way of knowledge skills to prevent god-moding, but enough that I can occasionally give hints to the players.

I really feel that there should be at least a sidebar, perhaps a whole page given to the 'advanced' character starts; for those like me who want some guidance about playing the full-fledged Jedi trying to save the galaxy, for those who want to start with their basic training at the academy, and for those in between who have some experience under their belt - and a ways to go before they can save a planet.

Jest because jedi are awesome, doesnt mean muggles cant be awesme too.

Build your 500 XP jedi, and I'll build a 500 XP droid assassin.

And that droid is going to murder that Jedi, just due to that fact that the Jedi requires multiple trees for Force powers and Force dice.

Force Users in general are going to be extremely spread out. Just getting to FR3 is going to be a challenge.

My ideal Jedi RPG would use a system entirely incompatible with the corresponding muggle game precisely so as to prevent pissing contests and let each focus on providing the best experience to their respective players.

Like, one of the fundamental design parameters would be to prevent people from comparing characters from each game against each other.

I would never want to play your version.

Might I suggest converting Ars Magica to scifi then?

One of the premices of that game is that mages are on an entirely different level from the rest of the world, and if they had the free time they could do just about anything. But they send their muggle minions to do things they dont want to wast teir time with.

A lot of my expectations from it come from EU exploits, to be honest. The shenanigans that the full-fledged Jedi - whether under Old Republic, or Luke's NJO - pull off are astounding and spectacular, as befits someone with years of training and a fair amount of innate talent.

I would really like to be able to play the exploits of such a character - rather than the daily grind at the Temple as they learn to levitate increasingly bigger rocks. Yes, I know, this would be solved if the GM simply awards 500xp to start with. And while I know my situation may not be the norm - I don't *have* anyone to play this under. If it happens at our table - it's because I'm running it. I'm thinking the only solution is going to be a DM PC built on the same rules they players follow - without much in the way of knowledge skills to prevent god-moding, but enough that I can occasionally give hints to the players.

I really feel that there should be at least a sidebar, perhaps a whole page given to the 'advanced' character starts; for those like me who want some guidance about playing the full-fledged Jedi trying to save the galaxy, for those who want to start with their basic training at the academy, and for those in between who have some experience under their belt - and a ways to go before they can save a planet.

there is one in the GM section page 219 advanced play and knight level play. 

One of the premices of that game is that mages are on an entirely different level from the rest of the world, and if they had the free time they could do just about anything. But they send their muggle minions to do things they dont want to wast teir time with.

I don't just mean where Jedi are way more awesome, I mean two systems that are so different it is impossible or irrelevant to compare characters between them. Like a muggle might have blaster skill of 4, while a Jedi has an angst rating of blue. So there is no way to tell by looking at the character sheets if the Jedi is more awesome than the muggle.

I'm curious if the beta book will discuss the issue of the force user's age and provide some xp/power guidelines based on age during differnt periods. The Jedi during the time period in the movies followed a mostly similar training and advancement schedule that broadly looks like this:

Infant to 10-13 years old - prospect receives scholarly education, tenants of the order, basic unarmed/melee/lightsaber combat, basic force use (sense, move, enhance).

By 13 years old - the student must pass their trials to be allowed into Padawan selection, if not selected by a Master the student enters a service position (Obi-Wan was initially passed-over and sent to be a farm hand)

+ 10-12 years (~20-25 years old) - It took about a decade to become a Jedi Knight, if the Padawan survived/stuck with it that long

The thing that stands out is that if you create a starting Jedi character (without xp adjustments) during the Republic era, it sort of implies you are around 10-13 years old! By the time you would be welcomed into a cantina you would have been a miniature wizard for nearly a decade.

I think it is something to keep in mind when discussing the 'power-level' of Jedi in your game vs those in the movies. I would expect to accept that my adult ex-smuggler force emergent would be outperformed with either a lightsaber or force powers by the average Republic era teenager.

I don't just mean where Jedi are way more awesome, I mean two systems that are so different it is impossible or irrelevant to compare characters between them. Like a muggle might have blaster skill of 4, while a Jedi has an angst rating of blue. So there is no way to tell by looking at the character sheets if the Jedi is more awesome than the muggle.

Food-touching-my-plate.jpg

WTF is wrong with you?  Why do you care about this *at all*?

Because people still occasionally reply to him.

This is true. After two years of play and about 700 XP (counting starting 100), the Wookie Hired Gun Mercenary/ Soldier/ Maurader is still the most dangerous character in our game. This isn't a one-to-one comparison with Force and Destiny because my character is more of a Force Wizard/ Face character, but here is how it would go:

Assuming I went first, at this point my Bounty Hunter Survivalist/ FS Exile/ FS Emergent can maybe throw a starfighter at him and deal 30 damage. But, there is a good chance I would fail the roll even with three Force dice and a lot of Willpower. Hitting him for 30 damage, after his Soak, won't even drop him.

If he went first with his fully kitted automatic bowcaster he could Autofire my poor Twi'Lek, probably hitting three times for 23/20/20 damage. Good by young Force User.

This is true. After two years of play and about 700 XP (counting starting 100), the Wookie Hired Gun Mercenary/ Soldier/ Maurader is still the most dangerous character in our game. This isn't a one-to-one comparison with Force and Destiny because my character is more of a Force Wizard/ Face character, but here is how it would go:

Assuming I went first, at this point my Bounty Hunter Survivalist/ FS Exile/ FS Emergent can maybe throw a starfighter at him and deal 30 damage. But, there is a good chance I would fail the roll even with three Force dice and a lot of Willpower. Hitting him for 30 damage, after his Soak, won't even drop him.

If he went first with his fully kitted automatic bowcaster he could Autofire my poor Twi'Lek, probably hitting three times for 23/20/20 damage. Good by young Force User.

Out of curiosity, what's a resonabe challange for 500 bonus XP characters?

Arg...I've been so good until today.

Don't beat yourself up. What he wants is already available. Two different systems? Play your Jedi in the Saga or d20 to get your uberJedi while everyone else plays FFG's game. Of course the problem for Erik is that he has no game to play in as no one shares his viewpont that Jedi should be Superman to all the other mortals. The fact is you can play high powered Jedi by just adding XP. Not a problem if everyone starts as a Force user such as in F&D. The problem will be finding a game where everyone else starts out with normal starting characters and he gets to start with 2000 XP to show what kind of badass uberJedi he is. Those that can do, those that can't sulk and try to ruin the game for everyone else. Edited by mouthymerc

Welp, when you find yourself staring out at a table of players half heartedly picking at characters they are not in to and showing lukewarm enthusiasm for your adventure while casting envious glances at the new Call of Duty game, remember I Told You So. It'll be too late for you. But maybe you can save the next generation.

Arg...I've been so good until today.

I honestly don't why people don't just hit the report button and be done with it.

If off-topic discussion were prohibited, we'd all be in some sort of trouble. My only complaint is I can't figure out how to 'ignore' certain posters.

It's in your profile settings when you press edit, ignore preferences will appear, then you cut and paste the name.  He isn't about off topic, he's about antagonistic trolling that lends nothing to nothing and its a use violation.