Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn Rockfist

Laser line for checking arc and obstacles

I have seen both templates and laser levels used improperly. I think lasers are ok as long as the user pulls it out for an appropriate close call and applies it so the laserline is straight over the line on the base. A few degrees off can make the difference in a good or bad arc.

The best use for a laser line is checking arcs in the middle of a furball.  When there's half a dozen or so ships clustered together in the middle of the board, it's much easier to project a line over the bases to check arcs than it is to physically check with a range ruler, which could lead to accidental bumping or moving of models.

Marginal calls are marginal calls; it's not a be-all-and-end-all solution, but it can help players reach a consensus.

Problem with using the ruler is ships tend to be knocked by accident a laser won't cause that issue.

As for not checking arcs that's ridiculous plenty of times I've thought an opponent had me in arc only to discover I was just out.

Cardboard and acrylic can both bend or warp implying they are more accurate than a laser is silly all three options are open to being a little off.

Coming from Warmachine where lasers are common and just accepted this whole argument seems a bit odd.  It's the least intrusive way of checking something in the shortest amount of time.  If there's still debate then call a judge if it's in a tournament or call over a 3rd party for a friendly.

Also dicing off....I can't stand this.  I realise as a judge sometimes these decisions pretty much ARE a coinflip but dicing off is basically saying "Well we can't follow the rules, let's make up our own"....like that hideous "if I can balance a die on it it's flat and the roll's valid" thing

The best use for a laser line is checking arcs in the middle of a furball.  When there's half a dozen or so ships clustered together in the middle of the board, it's much easier to project a line over the bases to check arcs than it is to physically check with a range ruler, which could lead to accidental bumping or moving of models.

Marginal calls are marginal calls; it's not a be-all-and-end-all solution, but it can help players reach a consensus.

If, for example you wanted to measure here:

Laser.png

Just the most recent pic I had of a game.  If the Blue Squadron wants to target Vader, maybe it's obvious to eyeball it.  If it's close though, how are you going to get a range ruler in there?

I'll put it another way. I've never seen a laser used in a way that didn't seem in some way condescending, or even authoritarian...

Even this?

The best use for a laser line is checking arcs in the middle of a fur ball.

Right! The point of the laser is rarely to make close calls on in-arc/out-of-arc. The range ruler works fine for that, most of the time. The laser is to determine where the firing arc is when there are multiple miniatures in the way, which happens all the time.

Edited by Vorpal Sword

Frankly lasers are faster than using a range ruler for almost all measurements and that becomes more pronounced as the field becomes more crowded. 

They are a better choice, just for the sake of efficiency in a timed game. 

I cannot think of any situation where cardboard would be more accurate, nor any where a laser pointer would be less accurate.  In order for the game to continue, both players must agree that a ship is within, or without arc - if someone doesn't feel the laser is accurate enough, they can call over a TO and sort it out that way.  For the rest of mankind, the laser is not just a cooler tool (especially the green ones), it is a time saver - and that typically is trump for most of us.

I don't have one of these but several opponents at local tournaments have. They were very useful and I'm glad they had them. Never once did they ask to check an arc that wasn't dubious, it saved jostling models around on the board and was much quicker than trying to use a range ruler.

Here's a not-quite million dollar idea for someone:  package a laser, on a stand, that has the proper projected range measurements, for ~$20.  You will sell enough to be 15 minutes of internet famous!  I'll be 2nd in line.

It's crazy how you can go to the store and buy them for $5, but there are many people who literally just repack them and sell them for $20+. Such as http://tabletop-laser.com/. A fool and his money.....

That's the thing.  The $5 one from Harbor Freight sucks.  It's not the same thing at all.  The lens on the Harbor Freight one is very often misaligned, which means instead of a laser line projector, it's a laser ARC projector.  A nice aligned lens will assure that the line being projected is straight.  Harbor Freight also uses crap batteries.  The better ones use either super standard (AAAs, AAs 9v), or rechargeable batteries.

For something with some heavy use, an extra $15 can be very worth it.

tl;dr

Don't buy cheap tools.

Edited by Hexis

A bit off topic here, but from what I'm reading it seems like some people check arc of sight with the range ruler/straight template by placing it on its edge? We've just always used the range ruler in its flat orientation and lined up one side with the ship's arc line. I assumed that's how it was always done. We line the template up in a way that both players agree is accurate and then look a couple atoms to the right/left of the edge to determine if it's hitting the target's base.

I built one with a green laser, using the guide Hexis posted on Boardgamegeek. There was a little "finagling" to get the line laser to a spot where it fit snugly and consistently produced a straight line without "noise," but it was worth it. The laser is insane; we can see the light down the block (not an exaggeration). Building it was fun, like building your own lightsaber.

Does anyone have a link to a decent laser level that they have used on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com?  I'm looking for a Canadian distributor if possible.  Preferably as cheap as possible.

Check out Harbor Freight. They have one for about $6.00 USD. Comes with batteries.

It's crazy how you can go to the store and buy them for $5, but there are many people who literally just repack them and sell them for $20+. Such as http://tabletop-laser.com/. A fool and his money.....

That's the thing.  The $5 one from Harbor Freight sucks.  It's not the same thing at all.  The lens on the Harbor Freight one is very often misaligned, which means instead of a laser line projector, it's a laser ARC projector.  A nice aligned lens will assure that the line being projected is straight.  Harbor Freight also uses crap batteries.  The better ones use either super standard (AAAs, AAs 9v), or rechargeable batteries.

For something with some heavy use, an extra $15 can be very worth it.

tl;dr

Don't buy cheap tools.

There are at least a dozen people at the local store with Harbor Freight lasers.  I've never heard of anyone getting a bad laser.  Even if they did...they can just return it to the store for a replacement.  That is if they don't just test it out when they get it. 

I had one that ended up misaligned after a while, probably from getting knocked around in my case.  I managed to realign it but something sturdier wouldn't be out of the question.  It is still an excellent tool for the price.