Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn Rockfist

Laser line for checking arc and obstacles

I use a Harbor Freight one too, a great value at $5. However, make sure that you verify it projects a straight line by testing it next to a straight edge. I know one guy that got one that had a misaligned lens an the projected laser line had a curve to it. Etiquette-wise, I usually only pull it out when an arc looks close and there a lot of ships in the way that would need to be marked before being able to get a range ruler in there to check for sure. Also, don't just assume that your opponent is okay with the laser, ask if it's okay to use it. Most people think it's cool and want to know where to get one. I've never had a problem using it and I usually put it on the table inbetween us and invite my opponent to use it at their leisure too.

Be careful of etiquette and sportsmanship issues when using lasers. I think it's generally okay to use lasers when checking arcs or LOS when your own models are attacking. However I know some folks may be put-off if you repeatedly use lasers to do uninvited checks on shots they are calling. With lasers there's the danger of a slippery slope where flying casual flies out the window.

To be honest, the opponent doesn't get a say in the matter. You're allowed to check any shot made by anyone at any (appropriate) time. You don't have to be "invited" to make sure that the shot is good.

Now, if the opponent objects to the use of the laser on the basis of it not being an approved game tool, then fine. We'll just use the range ruler instead. But he can't say he's okay for it to be used and then object to you actually using it. 

Edited by DR4CO

In the south western US they have them at Harbor Freight.  They are a circular saw attachment and run about $5, and include batteries.  In case you are going to a Harbor Freight to buy one, they will be on the wall with the circular saw blades and attachments and in a yellow Blister pack last time I bought one. 

As far as etiquette goes just fly casual.  If it is really close even with the laser give your opponent the benefit of the doubt. In the shooting phase I see nothing wrong with checking the fire arc of everything you have.  Sometimes you will see a shot that you didn't think possible.  Also I always offer to let the opponent use the laser for arc they want to check from the beginning of the game.

In the Tampa Florida area this is the one we use.

Be careful of etiquette and sportsmanship issues when using lasers. I think it's generally okay to use lasers when checking arcs or LOS when your own models are attacking. However I know some folks may be put-off if you repeatedly use lasers to do uninvited checks on shots they are calling. With lasers there's the danger of a slippery slope where flying casual flies out the window.

Just don't be an jerk. If the shot looks out of arc just politely say it. If he questions it just pull out the laser.

Exactly what Han thought.

If Greedo questions it, just pull out the laser.

This one appears to be a firm favourite:  Laserfuchs Line Tool

Unfortunately, it seems that this one exceeds power limits for US import :(  I've been hunting one for more than a year with no luck.  If anyone happens to find a US distributor, please let me know.

Be careful with the Harbor Freight ones.  You can't beat the price, but the quality on them is erratic at best.  People have often reported curved lines, and my own had such a fuzzy lens that the laser line was wider than my range ruler was thick, which largely defeated the purpose.

I use the Black and Decker now - it's a touch cumbersome, especially the switch, but otherwise it's great.

Personally, I don't like them for the reasons stated previously.  If it's close enough that you need a measurement, most people's natural hand shake, from ~12inches away will keep the laser from being accurate anyways.  Plus, its much thicker than the edge of the range ruler, calling into question "is it the center of the laser line, or where it drops off to 90% intensity, or where it drops off to 100% intensity"  whereas a range ruler is cut and dry in/out.  The thickness also makes it difficult to accurately line up parallel to the arc on the base insert.  

Word of warning to those who purchase the $5 harbor freight laser sight, I've come across 3 from various people, none of which are straight when checked against an actual straight edge.  Keep in mind that the laser beam from the pointer to the table is straight, but the diffuser lens that creates the line on the table has quite a bit of variation.  You get what you pay for, and Harbor Freight has a reputation for cheap $%#@.  

Personally, I don't like them for the reasons stated previously.  If it's close enough that you need a measurement, most people's natural hand shake, from ~12inches away will keep the laser from being accurate anyways.  Plus, its much thicker than the edge of the range ruler, calling into question "is it the center of the laser line, or where it drops off to 90% intensity, or where it drops off to 100% intensity"  whereas a range ruler is cut and dry in/out.  The thickness also makes it difficult to accurately line up parallel to the arc on the base insert.  

I don't get it... isn't a wobbly human hand going to be holding the range ruler, too? And there's no way to lay it on the board without bringing a different sort of fudging/inaccuracy into the situation, via trying to line it up with the printed arc line on the pilot insert. And any time there's more than two ships on the table, in tight quarters, the laser becomes an order of magnitude easier to apply than the physical ruler.

well i have to say it's better to have the laser  just in case it's to close to call we had a few times it was used in a game last week to check if there was a fire arc and it made it so easy no fuss no muss,,,

So just wondering is this just a regular laser pointer? If it is then you have to hold it pretty close to the table and at a slight angle right? Otherwise it will just project just a dot onto the surface if it's too high. Or are you referring to an actual line laser that projects an actual line onto the table?

So just wondering is this just a regular laser pointer? If it is then you have to hold it pretty close to the table and at a slight angle right? Otherwise it will just project just a dot onto the surface if it's too high. Or are you referring to an actual line laser that projects an actual line onto the table?

It is a line projector.

I may check out the Harbor Freight one, but I've been using this one in the past few weeks and everyone asks to use it when they see it.  I don't see any problems as long as you're not questioning every shot with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BDL220S-Laser-Level/dp/B000B8GBBS/ref=sr_1_7?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1408906798&sr=1-7&keywords=laser+level

LOS is LOS regardless of who is shooting, if it looks close there's no reason not to check whether it's your shot or your opponents.

I may check out the Harbor Freight one, but I've been using this one in the past few weeks and everyone asks to use it when they see it.  I don't see any problems as long as you're not questioning every shot with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-BDL220S-Laser-Level/dp/B000B8GBBS/ref=sr_1_7?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1408906798&sr=1-7&keywords=laser+level

I absolutely love how this works out... Go to amazon.com and buy a B&D Laser level: 

Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought

a short list of electronic stud finders and measuring devices, then there are links to Star Wars X-Wing expansion packs. LMAO

amazonshot.png

Hey just curious how bright the line for this is? I bought a ryobi one and you could barely see the line it was garbage.

I absolutely love how this works out... Go to amazon.com and buy a B&D Laser level: Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought

a short list of electronic stud finders and measuring devices, then there are links to Star Wars X-Wing expansion packs. LMAOamazonshot.png

Hey just curious how bright the line for this is? I bought a ryobi one and you could barely see the line it was garbage.

Funny about the recommendation on Amazon. :-D

The laser is bright enough. It depends a lot on the surface, but most of the time it's good enough.