Sign in to follow this  
Animewarsdude

Wizkids' second try

As a fun fact the retail price is $49.99, granted that is half the cost of Armada but for an X-Wing clone that is a tad steep.

Psst, you know X-wing is already a clone right?

As far as I can tell, it's at most a development, not a "clone" or "reskin." The mechanics and rules are quite different, even if they represent similar things.

Attack Wing is the same game, with rules changes that are in most cases not more extreme in kind than the ones X-wing has introduced along the way, even if they have been handled much more clumsily and recklessly by the wizkids versions.

I take it wizkids has a history of abandoning their games?

Something like that, yeah. They have a history of acquiring IP licenses (Marvel, Mechwarrior, Halo, etc.), putting out a game with some promise, and then rushing out expansions without a lot of evident care with design, playtesting, etc.

They also went bankrupt* for a little while in the mid-2000s, partly as a result of that practice, which didn't help their reputation much.

[EDIT: Apparently I was remembering some details wrong: Wizkids was shut down as a brand by their parent company in 2008, before the name and most of their assets were purchased by NECA.]

Edited by Vorpal Sword

I was genuinely interested in this game when I first heard about it. Then when I saw the price tag I hesitated. Then when I found out about the fact they were going to have ground troops I stopped. I used to play Warhammer Fantasy and this sounds too much like Warhammer Fantasy.

I also play Star Trek attack wing and I will say no more to Wizkids. The creep is already happening in attack wing, and there will be no change with Dungeons and Dragons.

I was genuinely interested in this game when I first heard about it. Then when I saw the price tag I hesitated. Then when I found out about the fact they were going to have ground troops I stopped. I used to play Warhammer Fantasy and this sounds too much like Warhammer Fantasy.

The ground troops killed it for me too.  The dragons look ok but the troops look terrible.  I have enough poorly pre-painted dudes to last me a lifetime.

I'm also not interested in mixing flying and ground.  I think it's a miss that they chose to go in that direction.  They could have easily made it flying only: manticores, giant owls and eagles, elves on griffons, heck, even beholders.

I think there's a large difference between using the FlightPath system and having a clone. There seems to be enough material for D&D Attack Wing that I wouldn't call it a reskin.

I play Star Trek Attack Wing (I like Cardassian and Romulan intrique) but have been getting burned out on the sheer amount of stuff (monthly releases, prizes, blind boosters, etc.) coming out. I don't forsee myself getting into a tournament scene for D&D Attack Wing, but I am casually interested on the line.

I'll probably pick up a starter set and even if the game collapses under its own weight, I'll at least have some nice huge monster miniatures  :)

I'm soured from anything Wizkids after buying into the fiasco that was MechWarrior. Started off good, then power creep came on with a vengance. Plus I was totally put off with the whole "collectable" aspect with random models, after that I refuse to buy a game that has "collectable" anywhere in its title or description. I want the models I want, which is one of the reasons I like X-Wing. I don't HAVE to buy a certain model to be able to win games. I'm also put off of Wizkids by Attack Wing. I had high hopes but once again they really screwed up a good liscense with poor models, "prize" models (I hated those in MechWarrior) and power creep. Needless to say I won't be buying any dragons from them.  

After playing Attack Wing for 10 months or so I'm gonna say hell no to this. Attack Wing is an absolutely terrible game. No balance and exclusive ships and cards that actually change the game? Awful business practices as far as I'm concerned. WizKids needs to take some notes from FFG before I'll ever consider one of their games again.

Edited by Schmarbs523

I've seriously been thinking about at least buying some of the dragons and completely throwing out WizKids' rules and making my own variation of the game.

Flying dragons are cool and FlightPath is known success.  I would ignore the ground troops and since I would have zero interest in any type of competitive play, I would have no qualms about gutting the rules.

I played some at Gen Con, it was fun and surprised me on the differences and possibilities.  I dont have the budget for it, but it was neat.

The dragons have armor, which is straight up damage reduction. Some attacks like breath weapons ignore them though.

edit: the demo had a blue, read, and two brass dragons (i think). Not having a consistent ranged attack was different, the breath weapon had a significant cool down.  

We quickly were slowed (breath attack from good dragons), which limited our movement to speed 2 or less and reduced my agility. That was a nasty ability, seeing as my wing-over (kturn) was speed 4.

Edited by GeneticDrift

Those sculpts and paintjobs are just horrible. Just like those cheapo plastic figures you see at craft stores marked down 50% off.

I'd love a dragon attack game but its got to be as good or better than xwing and so far, this aint it by a long shot.

Those sculpts and paintjobs are just horrible. Just like those cheapo plastic figures you see at craft stores marked down 50% off.

I'd love a dragon attack game but its got to be as good or better than xwing and so far, this aint it by a long shot.

Rred2_zpsbc25bcc6.jpg

vs.

204875.jpg

Sorry man, not quite seeing them as the same quality.

The red one looks great, blue ok, but the metallic...eh... Wizkids again. If they were even dnd minis line quality that would suffice... Again, as long as they aren't randomized and raritied this will get at least some of my $$$... How much depends on quality and lackof powercreep.

If Wizards of the Coast had any brains about them they would have just sold the d20 license to FFG and let them produce new sets with an updated rules structure for the games they dropped. There are still hundreds of fans of those games even a decade or so removed.

A little wash would probably go a long way towards helping the paint schemes.

The addition of ground troops is a neat idea. I am curious as to how it is executed. Same thing for non-fixed attacks and flying versus grounded on the dragons.

Its Wizkids, so the game will likely quickly spiral out of control, but I might pick up the core box and wave 1 for a different, and seemingly interesting take on Flightpath.