Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Animewarsdude

Wizkids' second try

113 posts in this topic

I remember people saying that they wanted to see how the Dungeons and Dragons versions of X wing looked so I found this video of a promo for it for Dungeons and Dragons: Attack Wing...... I guess they couldn't even change the sub title..

Edited by Animewarsdude

This does seem really odd. It's like, so we have these rules for a dogfighting game, where can we use them? Starfighter combat in the Star Wars universe? Great! Capital ships in the Star Trek universe? Not perfect, but good enough I guess. D&D dragons and stuff? Erm...

haslo, oneway and YwingAce like this

This is some kind of bizarre prank, right?

Yes, it absolutely is. Unfortunately, it's a prank being practiced by WotC and Wizkids on fans of minis games, Flightpath, and/or D&D, so it's a real product.

Fortunately, it's both a Wizkids product and a D&D licensed product, which means its total lifespan is going to be about six months. Then production will stop, and in ten years someone will tell a new minis gamer "Hey, did you know D&D once tried to do a dogfighting dragons game? No, really--check Wikipedia."

Edited by Vorpal Sword

I first heard about this D&D game a year ago. Yes, this is very real and they even had figures on display at the WizKids booth at GenCon. I am absolutely not interested in this game whatsoever. This game would have been better if one of two things happened. Either FFG developed it or Wizards Of The Coast. The fact the WizKids are behind it means the line will soar for a little while until they burn it out.

In all fairnes, after watching that video, a few of the unique rules seem kinda neat. Unfortuantely, I can't see this having enough depth for any kind of longevity; how many different dragons are there anyway, and how can they all be made unique from each other?

In all fairnes, after watching that video, a few of the unique rules seem kinda neat. Unfortuantely, I can't see this having enough depth for any kind of longevity; how many different dragons are there anyway, and how can they all be made unique from each other?

There are ten kinds of dragons in D&D lore (evil dragons are red, black, green, blue, and white; good dragons are gold, silver, bronze, copper, and brass). Each dragon also gets substantially larger as it ages and acquires increasing magical power, so they're actually set for a while if they can sell it.

stegocent and Punning Pundit like this

I've seen some of the ground troops in another preview. Could be that they were just beta versions, but they certainly didn't look impressive.

Edited by Cremate

I think the ground units concept is unique, but it's been conspicuously absent in anything they've been presenting yet.  I also think the idea of the dragon's behavior changing whether it's flying or landed on the ground interesting, if confusing.  There's a separate movement dial apparently for flying and grounded.

I see this game appealing to D&D fans who haven't really considered getting into either Star Trek Attack Wing or X-Wing, since the models seem on par with most of the WotC minis, but much like D&D, I see things bogging down a lot more with a lot more things to keep track of.  One of the things I like about X-Wing is the quick pace, and for the time and money this is going to cost, I'd rather play Descent.

Edited by apshaiTerp

Yeah, there are like 6-7 different ages for each dragon. And then, they can also put names on those dragons. If they wanted, it could go on forever. But i am really not interested.

As a fun fact the retail price is $49.99, granted that is half the cost of Armada but for an X-Wing clone that is a tad steep.

Psst, you know X-wing is already a clone right?

Edited by Otacon

I went to the booth, and gave it a try.  It's actually very cool, and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.  The different dragons with their different breath attacks, plus magic, plus ground troops, plus "flying" vs. "grounded" movement, all of that combines to give it a depth of play that is hugely appealing.  Also, it's DRAGONS which is super cool all by itself.

If FFG were putting this game out I would have preordered it already, and be marking the days off on the calendar in anticipation.  However, it's WizKids.  I know their business model includes intentional power creep and game imbalance on an extremely fast release schedule, designed to wring all the money out of the IP as they can in 2 years before burning it out and cycling into a fresh one.  There is no chance, at all, of me giving WizKids any of my money and I really don't care how cool the game is.

So I will pass, but I regret it.

Edited by KineticOperator
tiefanatic, stegocent and InvestFDC like this

Yeah, there are like 6-7 different ages for each dragon. And then, they can also put names on those dragons. If they wanted, it could go on forever. But i am really not interested.

I'm thinking each dragon is its own expansion, with a younger generic version, an older generic, and a unique version. If they did one metallic, one chromatic, and a couple of ground units per wave, that clears them through Waves 1-5.

Then you can get into planar dragons and gem dragons, which are sort of the D&D equivalent of the Star Wars EU--well established in "canon", but not as well-known. The problem is that if this particular group of Flightpath fans is any indication, the game's going to flop. (They're on firmer ground if they're counting on crossovers from RPG fans, because I have at least one friend who will buy into it just out of curiosity--but I don't know how reliable that market will be.)

So I think the real question isn't whether there's enough content to support the game, but whether there will be enough game to support the content.

I went to the booth, and gave it a try.  It's actually very cool, and I'm sure it will be a lot of fun.  The different dragons with their different breath attacks, plus magic, plus ground troops, plus "flying" vs. "grounded" movement, all of that combines to give it a depth of play that is hugely appealing.  Also, it's DRAGONS which is super cool all by itself...

Dammit, now I'm wavering. I know it's Wizkids, and that means I know their follow-through isn't going to be as good as FFG's. But if it actually has some tactical depth... and it's dragons...  :unsure:

Edited by Vorpal Sword
stegocent and Rakky Wistol like this

Who's into mixing Xwing and dragons?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

I would prefer to play  against prequels fleets before that happens.

Why choose! You can do both!

Oh...and both companies are known for "randomized packs" and rarity... No chance if it has either of those.

Looks good to me.  With the release of scum and villainy, I've been wondering about another flightpath game -- this could be it.  I still like x-wing, but as I probably won't be buying S&V ships, the amount of stuff available for me to purchase is going to be cut down significantly, as I expect FFG will be dedicating more of their focus to this faction in the near future.  Then again, whatever I save in x-wing is probably going to be redirected towards Armada :P

I don't know about the various companies who make these things.  I take it wizkids has a history of abandoning their games? I suppose that would explain some of the hate for this game.  Otherwise I don't know what the problem is: it looks to add some interesting new rules (ground troops!) and mechanics, and as I recall there's quite a few D&D dragon types.  I think the dragons look good, although the paint jobs aren't great in some places -- maybe because it's a prototype.  

Also I'm down for mixing x-wing with dragons because why not?   It'll be pew-pew vs. raaaarrrrrr chomp chomp.  Anyway with the bizarre and totally illogical ship design of the star wars universe, I'm sure somewhere somebody made a ship that looks exactly like a dragon.