Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iznax

Trouble in Tharbad

68 posts in this topic

When I played Silvans vs. The Fords of Isen, the Defenders of the Naith were amazing given how often I was engaged with multiple enemies. At one point I managed to have a couple of them in play, defend with them and then chump a third attacker so that they readied and helped defeat the enemy.

When I played Silvans vs. The Fords of Isen, the Defenders of the Naith were amazing given how often I was engaged with multiple enemies. At one point I managed to have a couple of them in play, defend with them and then chump a third attacker so that they readied and helped defeat the enemy.

yes, true. It seems not but they are very good

Was Defenders of Naith worth it?

No, Defender of the Naith was underwhelming in solo play for Trouble in Tharbad.

I can imagine him being more useful in multi-player though, blocking an Orc Hound, then readying after another chump block or other Silvan shenanigans, to take on an Orc Hunter or (if you get lucky with the shadow) an Orc Skirmisher with his sentinel trait.

Just finally got my hands on trouble in tharbad!

Beat it second attempt. (two handed)

First attempt I was smashing it so far and had played a dunedain mark on haldir first turn and for the other deck a ranger spikes and light of valinor on glorfindel. Had a location and treachery (that I removed a time counter to counter the other effect) come out during staging. Engaged one of the spys from mordor and feinted it stopping its nasty time counter removal and then killed it with Legolas, Nalir and Elrohir clearing The Empty Mug thanks to Legolas. Haldir attacked the other spy using his ability and did 2 damage to it (and would have probably killed it the next turn) and I was ready for turn two. Finished planning and then had a marauder come out which had ranger spikes attached to it as it entered staging and then? GET THAT DWARF! Because the lore/spirit deck was the first player this resulted in the marauder attacking Nalir and Elrohir not being able to help out... it was either Nalir or Haldir for defense (quested with Elrond and Glorfindel).... either would have died easily and resulted in either loss or more or less a loss (I don't really play on when heroes die unless I'm pretty far into the quest already). Just got super unlucky I guess and hadn't established Sentinel yet on Elrohir with an Elven Mail or Arwens buff resulting in an easy defeat due to Nalir getting destroyed by that nasty Marauder!

Second attempt I smashed it although was stuck on stage 1 for a fair while and had my threat limit reduced to 30 and was somewhat worried it would reduce to 20 as I started to get minorly location swarmed (even with asfaloth out) and was barely reducing threat anymore. Stayed between 9-15 threat on both decks for a few turns and managed to eventually quest hard over a round or two and finally get to zero (only 2 counters left on the quest stage at this point narrowly avoiding a 20 threat limit) and got to stage 2. Smashed stage 2 over three turns and only had the time effect trigger once (thanks to an Orc Scout, or whatever the one that reduces a time counter or reveals another card is called, removing a time counter) and was easily able to kill all enemies except for Bellach (only because on no turns could I kill him outright, one turn I could put him down to a single hitpoint, so instead I killed all other enemies and ignored him) who I feinted twice and more or less ignored.

Was pretty fun but going to give it another go and try to get through stage 1 a little faster.

One thing I noticed from this set is that The Tree People is fairly ridiculous. In a aborted game yesterday I played Henamarth Riversong for one, then played The Tree People and the only Silvan ally in the five cards was Rumil. Getting a four-cost Ally for one resource is insane.

I look video where people play Tharbad quest and one of them play Silvan deck. i must admit Silvan deck is pretty strong and is also fun to play.

Quest is interesting some inovation is there but is looks pretty easy. I look forward for last pack actually

Ok, until now I only played this quest solo, but today some friends dropped by and we had a 4 player game of Trouble in Tharbad. 

Before I'll get into detail, I'll list some things that can be considered a handicap: We had a pretty threaty party, each player starting the game around 30 threat: Haldir+Beravor+Loragorn=31, Gandalf+Spirfindel+Idraen=30, Imrahil+Celeborn+Elrohir=32, Eomer+Brand+Elladan=30. Also, as you can see, Gandalf is used as a hero, and not even as a part of overly strong "Gandalf Eagle Deck", so leadershit player couldn't sneak attack him and stuff.

Ok, down to the business. With 4 players, this quest is really brutal, or so it seemed to us. At the beginning of the game, you have 4 enemies each of which will remove 1 time token on attack... "whats the problem?!", you'll say, "just don't engage them, their threat cost is 40 for crying out loud!", you'll continue. I'll tell you what's the problem: questing. If you'll be lucky and no engage cost lowering effect pops during first quest round, you'll face a dilemma: engage those spies this turn and suffer the loss of -10 threat out threshold OR keep that 8 threat in the staging area and suffer the same loss later. Fortunately, we revealed only 1 enemy during the first quest and he fell right into my trap, so he was no problem... for now. Other 3 cards were 2 locations and a treachery which forced us to remove 1 time token (because the other effect was A LOT of threat). I was forced to use the lore event to nullify the threat of one of the locations, so we could explore Empty Mug turn 1. Then, we travelled the Streets, engaging every spy with each of us right after. And like that, first round our threat threshold dropped to 40. We managed to kill 3 out of 4 spies the same combat phase, thanks to our strong and potent heroes. And that was just the first turn. Each turn the encounter deck did it best at hasteful time counter removing, we were walking at the brink of existance, barely lowering out threat in time before threat out threshold falls once more. In the end we won, bot GOD it was a tense and close game. To anyone considering this quest as an easy pie - I encourage you to try it with as many players you can muster. Not to tell how thematic it is - trying to hide from everlasting pursuit, entering hideout to catch a breath, brigands retreating to the roofs and patiently waiting to counter attack, Bellach getting lost in the encounter deck but slowly cathing up on us... there is so much theme in this quest. 

Funny fact: I used Loragorn's ability to drop myself from 36 to 31 on the turn one to prevent myself from threating out at 40 on the next turn (threshold was already lowered once)... Now that I think of it, I probably had to discard Aragorn because of Empty Mug's victory display effect?.. LOL!

Also, remember that Orc who got into my trap? We thought we were rid of him... then Get That Dwarf! Showed up, and it so happened that for that time this Orc had the highest Attack value :D

Also, Haldir was a total beast. These times when I was left alone, he easily made a -1 enemy before it even could attack. Leadershit player imbued him with this +1 Attack Dunedain thingy, while Tactics player gracefully granted Haldir both Dagger of Westernesse and Rivendell Blade.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo
Narsil0420 and gandalfDK like this

Just to make sure I get this right

Nalir causes you to raise your threat by 1 for each player, and then you have to raise it for the refresh phase also, right?

So when playing solo you raise your threat by 2 on each turn

PsychoRocka likes this

And another question (stupid really, but my mind is blocked)

"The first player either removes 1 time counter or each enemy get -20 engagement and +1 att "

There are no enemies in game, thus I am obliged to remove teh time counter, right ?  :unsure:

And a rule question, but it has to do with Bellach

I have a ranger spikes in staging area, unnatached. I complete stage one and Bellach enters the staging area cause of stage 2 ... does he get trapped in Ranger Spikes? 

Edited by Nickpes
PsychoRocka likes this

And another question (stupid really, but my mind is blocked)

"The first player either removes 1 time counter or each enemy get -20 engagement and +1 att "

There are no enemies in game, thus I am obliged to remove teh time counter, right ?  :unsure:

Hmmmm that is a tricky one.

It reads "The first player EITHER removes 1 time counter or each spy enemy gets -20 engagement and +1 attack" so with that wording it seems like you can choose EITHER effect whether or not any spy enemies are in play.

Also you technically can resolve the second option as you can give each spy enemy in staging -20 engagement and +1 attack there just aren't any actual spy enemies in play to give these effects to.

This thread comes to a similar conclusion and Caleb ruled that with Followed by Night even if no enemies are in play you can choose the second option:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/126831-quick-question-followed-by-night/

It does use the word ALL enemies instead of EACH however...

Also look at this thread: http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/114412-must-either-back/

If it was MUST either x or y then you would have to do x and only do y if you cannot do x. Considering you can always remove a time counter in this quest this wouldn't really even make sense so I'm pretty **** sure thanks to these two threads from the past that you can choose either option even if there are no spy enemies in play =)

Edited by PsychoRocka
Nickpes likes this

Thanks, that is what I thought, but I played it the other way cause I prefered to cheat on myself rather than the game ... won anyway  :P

Do you have a clue about my other question for ranger spikes (I did not attach it to Bellach and the other orc again, cause I prefere to cheat my self , in case ...)

PsychoRocka likes this

As with Bellach yes any time ANY enemy enters the staging area for any reason (effects or during staging) if there is a copy of ranger spikes in the staging area at that point in time that is unattached it will attach to that enemy. This is why ranger spikes can be so extremely pimp against We Must Away because "Players cannot play attachment cards on Troll enemies" and ranger spikes attaches itself from staging not from being played onto them. It is very hard to time and if a single other enemy comes out the round you progress to stage 2 it will take the ranger spikes first and stop it from attaching to one of the trolls but I've pulled it off a few times, once I was actually able to get ranger spikes on two of the three trolls and was able to pick them off and deal with sacks at the speed I wanted to.

Ranger spikes can also attach to Overseer Maurul from Nightmare Seventh Level and many other mini bosses/nasty foes. Another situation that comes to mind is Lord Alcarnon and Murzag, you can get ranger spikes on Murzag from the effect of Morgul Vale returning him to the staging area and if you have a ranger spikes in staging when you kill Murzag and add Lord Alcarnon to staging you can ranger spikes him too.

I cannot overstate just how pimp ranger spikes can be, you can get them on the PERFECT enemy at the perfect time on occasion.

Edited by PsychoRocka
Nickpes likes this

Thanks, that is what I thought, but I played it the other way cause I prefered to cheat on myself rather than the game ... won anyway  :P

Do you have a clue about my other question for ranger spikes (I did not attach it to Bellach and the other orc again, cause I prefere to cheat my self , in case ...)

Yeah anytime I'm not sure I usually choose the harder option too so that if I am doing it wrong I am at least not benefiting from it lol. I just learned these two particular rulings from reading the forums and remembering rulings when other people ask about stuff.

Nickpes likes this

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/lotr/lord-of-the-rings-card-spoiler/_/heirs-of-numenor/ranger-spikes-hon

There's a pretty interesting discussion in the comments section for ranger spikes on cardgamedb.

It seems as though only if enemies are added to the staging area at the same time (such as in the troll quests) can you choose which enemy each ranger spikes attaches to if you have multiple copies out. If it is just during the staging phase both ranger spikes will attach to the same first enemy revealed and not others revealed after it. I have only ever played more than one at a time in the troll quests and it seems like the only real reason to play more than once at a time is if you know that multiple enemies are going to enter the staging area at the same time like in the cases of the troll quests.

Edited by PsychoRocka