Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bioball

How about instead of Timescape, FFG does an Ocean/Sea big box?

80 posts in this topic

On a similar thread I have expressed that maybe , maybe maybe they will create the final boards to completely wrap the base board. 

This would mean more spaces!  So perhaps the "City" board would/could  ALSO have some sea area, or just a "coastal area" could be a reason to have some fun in Aquatic areas! 

Lots of things are washed up on shores; treasures, Mermaids, heheheh, and who knows what else, maybe its just a small island (2 or 3 of the spaces?) to venture too - find a fabled treasure.

-Oberon

They could make a pirate themed one that you need to buy a ship/boat/raft with gold to move onto the next areas and they could make it so the person that gets to the treasure chest at the end first wins making it a race to the end and less about powering your character up also they could add gambling into this one which means when you land on another player instead of fighting them you can both bet the same amount of gold or items and the highest die roll wins the items/gold maybe even let them bet spells if they both have spells!

Character ideas -

Spell thief - One that can steal spells from other characters works like the thief,

Gambler - gets to roll a second time if he loses the first when gambling also he can force players he lands on to do it and how much the bet will be but they have to be able to do the bet,

Pirate - can steal a ship instead of paying for it  and can take 1 item instead of paying for it when he lands on a space that lets you buy items but he cannot spend gold on items that turn if he chooses to do it,

A character that gets double gold when he gets gold from the game and also gets double gold when he picks to take gold from a player if they have enough gold to do it ,ect

Mermaid follower - makes it so you don't need to use/buy a ship could even make it a character.

Add a space that gives you gold when you land on it as well!

The characters/game type could be improved but i think it would be just for fun and less serious also you could just take some ideas and add it your ones. 

I just read this whole thread because I didn't know what the Timescape expansion was, and I have to say: down with Timescape! I don't want guns and space monsters in my Talisman game. Some have said it might be an astral/ethereal type of thing though, and I could get behind that. 

I. J. Thompson said:

I just read this whole thread because I didn't know what the Timescape expansion was, and I have to say: down with Timescape! I don't want guns and space monsters in my Talisman game. Some have said it might be an astral/ethereal type of thing though, and I could get behind that. 

I would suggest You looking at Timescape to see how it looks happy.gif Timescape is the BEST ever expansion to Talisman.

I. J. Thompson said:

not to rain on your parade too much, but Timescape expansion, in the 2nd Edition had quite a few fans.  It probably had as many detractors, so it may have been a toss up. 

I don't honestly believe that Timescape overpowered or overwhelmed the non-tech aspects of the game.

-Oberon

Seriously whether or not Timescape was good in the 2nd edition, it does not really have a place in a fantasy game (it is not a sci-fi game).

Hopefully 'Relic' will be something for the Timescape fans!

Ell.

0beron said:

I. J. Thompson said:

not to rain on your parade too much, but Timescape expansion, in the 2nd Edition had quite a few fans.  It probably had as many detractors, so it may have been a toss up. 

I don't honestly believe that Timescape overpowered or overwhelmed the non-tech aspects of the game.

-Oberon

You haven't rained on my parade even slightly. I've said that I wouldn't enjoy Timescape's sci-fi elements in Talisman. The number of other people who may or may not have been fans of the expansion have no bearing on what I think, at all.

i thought timescape was awesome, i have faith in FFG that if they release timescape it will be very cool. 

I think that the idea from Timecape, can still be made in a new way.

You could  go on a journey with a ship, and visit different islands, but then more in a fantasy style.

Science fiction does not belong in talisman.

Nemomon said:

I would suggest You looking at Timescape to see how it looks happy.gif Timescape is the BEST ever expansion to Talisman.

The Timescape is one of the best 2nd Edition Expansions. We loved it! 2nd Edition without it is really incomplete.

Ocean or Sea big box? Maybe, … but I don't like the idea of Talisman Sea or Talisman Ocean and will never miss it.

The worst Expansion for our playing group is The Dragon. The influence on the normal gameplay is to big, so we will never play with The Dragon Expansion, we only use the characters and one Alternative Ending.

We all need a City Expansion, or a Forest, or a Mountain and maybe a Timescape or Relic.

Everybody may have a different opinion, azoic. - While I'm fairly new to Talisman still (some years now) and I've obviously never played with Timescape, from what I've heard/seen I don't really think that it is needed nor that it fits the fantasy theme of the game.

But I think I can still understand why you liked it - well, like Ell said, maybe Relic could be something for your group. And while I don't know the plans for future expansions, I'd say the release of Relic pretty much says: "No, we're not bringing Timescape back like before." - But, hey, they can still prove me wrong…

On the other hand, I'm still waiting for the Dragon to arrive in my native language, though I'm already pretty sure my playgroup is going to enjoy most of it.

Especially the overlay for the middle region - they always complain the "final" region is far too easy to go through.

And if your group thinks of the expansion as a whole to have too much impact on the game, I'd suggest using only parts of it - houserules are your friends here, as always.

Just a sidenote, I'm longing for a forest expansion :D

Ok, I - as a Polish user and Magia i Miecz player - may have some great reasons to like Timescape's SF theme. Because Polish version of it really was SF. Examples:

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Podrnicy_w_czasie_Time_Travellers.png

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Robot_Bojowy_Battle_Droid.png

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Skafander_Combat_Enviro-Suit.png

But looking at Talisman 2nd Ed. Timescape scans I hardly, very hardly can feel its SF theme.

===

But its theme isn't what is important in Timescape. Most important is how quick and hard this expansion is. Its deck has GREAT cards, both hard enemies and valuable objects/followers. And movement style, where characters may not decide where they will appear next. In the Timescape the best is its mechanic, not theme.

Nemomon said:

Ok, I - as a Polish user and Magia i Miecz player - may have some great reasons to like Timescape's SF theme. Because Polish version of it really was SF. Examples:

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Podrnicy_w_czasie_Time_Travellers.png

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Robot_Bojowy_Battle_Droid.png

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Skafander_Combat_Enviro-Suit.png

But looking at Talisman 2nd Ed. Timescape scans I hardly, very hardly can feel its SF theme.

===

But its theme isn't what is important in Timescape. Most important is how quick and hard this expansion is. Its deck has GREAT cards, both hard enemies and valuable objects/followers. And movement style, where characters may not decide where they will appear next. In the Timescape the best is its mechanic, not theme.

I agree with Nemo, that the mechanic is very interesting.

Maybe that FFG can make something new like that.

Just make both because not everyone has the same favourite character but that does not mean that the characters they do not like should not have been made because other people like them.

Well, Nemomon, if it's about the mechanics, I'm sure you could have something similar like that but with another theme for the expanson - speaking of not being able to decide where you go, I'm thinking of some crazy wizard's manor, (with random teleporters) for example.

Nemomon said:

As a Timescape geek, i'm saying:

VETO!!

However I'm open for new expansions happy.gif

Haven't played Timescape but I totalt resent even the idea!!

Imo this would destroy the whole theme and contribute nothing. Ive bought ever expansion (4th ed) the day they came to the store but I wouldn't even touch timescape lengua.gif

River/Ocean/Forest.. If i get to choose the theme would be anti-magic since spellcasters make the game unbalanced at the moment imo.

So Varthrax is on the main box cover, Cadorus on the box of the Dragon expansion, maybe Grilipus match to the future cover of the Island/Sea expansion…?

Croonos said:

So Varthrax is on the main box cover, Cadorus on the box of the Dragon expansion, maybe Grilipus match to the future cover of the Island/Sea expansion…?

I never even thought about that, but you're absolutely correct!   Recently I had been entertaining the idea that FFG has always known pretty much where they were going and how. Beyond 'foreshadowing' (like a recent poster who suggested that the Warlock Quest to take something to the fountain in the King's Square in the City seems to be indicated - - and the Quests go back to Reaper and Frostmarch sets). 

Kind of makes all the speculations (And I'm probably the most obsessive hyper-drive speculator!) rather a fan-****? Eh?

My guess would be that Grilipus would be on the Forest or 4th corner expansion's box, if that makes sense considering your observation.  Has anyone else ever noted this before, or even realized?  I must admit I have not, til now…

Almost makes me think of a new small set expansion…    Dominance of the Dragons. These 3 Lords somehow decide to rule together with each having a different region or realm and an agreement to aid each other in various ways (sending their 'agents', enemies from their decks as back up. In this scenario, you don't necessarily fight them in the Tower or CoC. Of course, somehow along the way, perhaps there is a new Dragon (BUT.NO.MORE.SCALES.) and maybe he has strengths or abilities beyond the others. Another thought would be that the 3 Lords must work together in order to raise or invoke this mightier Dragon. So maybe each Lord has to find or complete some task for this. Its a race to stop them.   Hmmmm, off topic from this thread, much?

0beron said:

My guess would be that Grilipus would be on the Forest or 4th corner expansion's box, if that makes sense considering your observation.  Has anyone else ever noted this before, or even realized?  I must admit I have not, til now…

The Forest region is the realm of the Wraith Lord:)

Velhart said:

0beron said:

Better watch out for his Starcannons and Shuriken Catapults then. So much for not doing Timescape. :P

Velhart said:

0beron said:

I'm talking about the cover of the boxes; but why is Varthrax on the first box, if he's NOT the boss of the main board?

I'm just saying using the previous poster's comments, Grilipus should end up on a box cover. No big deal if he don't..

I never had the 3rd set, so I know little of the Wraith Lord, sounds cool.  So… he has starcannons?

0beron said:

Velhart said:

0beron said:

I'm talking about the cover of the boxes; but why is Varthrax on the first box, if he's NOT the boss of the main board?

I'm just saying using the previous poster's comments, Grilipus should end up on a box cover. No big deal if he don't..

I never had the 3rd set, so I know little of the Wraith Lord, sounds cool.  So… he has starcannons?

I think it´s not varthrax. It´s just a red dragon, or they made him to remember the dragon king. But there is no red dragon included in the base game.

I believe this cover was also on the normal 4th edition version from black industries

No, he has no star cannons in third edition.  (TheeForsakenOne is kidding..)