Sign in to follow this  
krechevskoy

So I pre-ordered Scum and Villainy - Why no Han Solo?

I jumped in and embrace the 3rd faction.  Probably the earliest pre-order I have ever done.

But why no update for Han Solo and the MF?  Yes I know Han Solo eventually becomes the good guy, but was he always good before that?

I mean Obi-Wan Kenobi says it himself "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy" , and who do they find there in that hive of scum and villainy?  ....Han Solo himself.

Technically Obi-Wan says this before entering Mos Eisley so by doing such excludes himself, Luke and the droids. 

I mean who here is going to call Obi-Wan a liar?  Using the Venn Diagram of Scum and Villainy there are 2 circles of in Mos Eisley and not in Mos Eisley.  Han was in Mos Eisley.

Now I need to find a hive like storage container just for these new ships.

I am pretty pumped for a pirates faction.   Now I can create scenarios of 2 players trying to wipe out one ship first.

I think the Scum and Villainy faction has claimed enough previously faction-unique ships and upgrades for now. As thematic it may be for an expansion of thieves, I'd rather not risk diluting the diversity of this game too much.

Edited by keroko

You think Solo should be in a faction with BOBA FETT'S SYMBOL as its icon, eh?

Or worse, flying along side Boba Fett.  

I suppose it's possible, Boba teams up with Luke & crew briefly in the holiday special while secretly working for the Empire, but to see Han and Fett side by side with any frequency in games would feel a bit off.

Honestly, we have no evidence that Han Solo was even a decent smuggler, from the movie's perspective. We actually only have evidence of failure.... :P

Joking aside, this faction is clearly more devoted to the sinister, which Mr Solo never really was. In the movies, he was a softie, coming back to help Luke, and in the EU he was dishonorably discharged for saving some wookiee.

Honestly, we have no evidence that Han Solo was even a decent smuggler, from the movie's perspective. We actually only have evidence of failure.... :P

Joking aside, this faction is clearly more devoted to the sinister, which Mr Solo never really was. In the movies, he was a softie, coming back to help Luke, and in the EU he was dishonorably discharged for saving some wookiee.

He fails @ smuggler/criminal a few other times in EC as well

It could be because FFG either didn't want more Falcons in the metagame, or didn't have any good ideas for new pilot abities. Though I really would have loved to see Han in a Z-95 instead of the random obscure EU characters we're getting.

The real question comes down to. Would you prefer to have Han and Boba, or someday have a 4th faction? If you say fourth, then comes the fun part of what faction to put some people in.

I'm neither in surprised or I satisfied with the 'new' faction. I am disappointed that they polarised it so.

I would have been more excited over the third faction to be more grey. If the Rebels are good, and the imperials are bad, then the middle ground is grey.

Those on the shadier side work with whomsoever will assist them in that moment. With the release, I hope part of the new rules kit will elaborate that they are able to work with either side. This will allow for mercenaries also (hopefully some mandalorians).

Lando is a better candidate than Han. Lando is a career confidence man and tricksy crook, while Han is an Academy washout who failed so badly at smuggling that he was reduced to taking high-risk work from a crazy old heretic and a nobody farmboy. Han's entire reputation is built on two things: a single lucky hand of cards (the MF), and a loyal sidekick who does all the hard work (Chewie).

Han, Chewie and Lando could all be considered available for that faction. Perhaps in a future wave we will get them, they do have to think ahead.

BUT, by that logic Han could also be an Imperial pilot if you want to dig into the EU. It could happen.

I'm neither in surprised or I satisfied with the 'new' faction. I am disappointed that they polarised it so.

I would have been more excited over the third faction to be more grey. If the Rebels are good, and the imperials are bad, then the middle ground is grey.

Those on the shadier side work with whomsoever will assist them in that moment. With the release, I hope part of the new rules kit will elaborate that they are able to work with either side. This will allow for mercenaries also (hopefully some mandalorians).

I believe you have it backwards....  The Empire was peaceful and brought tons of new jobs to the universe and the Terrorist Rebel Scum had to start blowing it all up!

No, Han doesn't really fit the S&V theme. Also, I don't see a Smugglers faction happening either, they don't fly squadrons into battle, they avoid it whenever they can. S&V makes sense because they raid convoys, and protect the worlds and sectors they control (like Hutt Space). Why would a bunch of smugglers take on the empire, rebellion, or their employers (S&V)?

There really is no such thing as a "grey faction" in Star Wars though.

Lando is a better candidate than Han. Lando is a career confidence man and tricksy crook, while Han is an Academy washout who failed so badly at smuggling that he was reduced to taking high-risk work from a crazy old heretic and a nobody farmboy. Han's entire reputation is built on two things: a single lucky hand of cards (the MF), and a loyal sidekick who does all the hard work (Chewie).

Jaba called him his best smuggler!

I think the Scum and Villainy faction has claimed enough previously faction-unique ships and upgrades for now. As thematic it may be for an expansion of thieves, I'd rather not risk diluting the diversity of this game too much.

It's claimed the dials, stats and fire arcs, but the ships themselves are distinct in their Scum Role from their Rebel roles. The Firespray was kind of a Scumship from the start but even then it differs from the Imperial one: the Scum don't get Krassis for example. (they don't get the other two pilot abilities either but nobody cares about No Disintegrations Boba or Kath)

• The Z-95 has different named pilots with non-Rebel abilities, and its pilots are one PS lower but cost the same as the rebel ones (in the interview they said no 11 point pilots are happening)
  • The Y-wing has different named pilots. They don't have Dutch and his synergistic abilities, for example. The Y-wing also has a different upgrade bar: Scumwings are a slightly different beast.
  • The Firespray has entirely different pilots and a PS5 generic (no triple Bounty Hunter for you!)
  • The HWK has different named pilots which have completely different abilities. For the HWK this is everything: Rebel HWK is a support ship. Scumhawks are not.

Also bombs and astromechs. Sure, there's differences in PS and abilities (though what expansion didn't do that?), but we're still seeing a lot of the stuff previously faction unique stuff lifted over to the Scum and Villainy side, and I think that we should be careful there isn't too much lifted to them.

Edited by keroko