Sign in to follow this  
vtarin

Movement strategies for the Defender

Hi everyone!

Im trying to use the tie defender and im finding a bit difficult to get the best from its dial. What are the most common movement strategies you follow with this ship?

Learn to visualize the 4k.  You will be sitting in the 5 spot.  5 movement = 2 attack range.  

Think about using the 3 turn to get into the engagement.  

Don't fear getting close, that's what shields are for.  

Fly all three close enough together that they don't get picked off one at a time.  If you can, try and separate their guys also.  

Also, I like just putting a hull upgrade on mine.  Though some people swear by other choices.  

4k 4k 4k 4k bank or roll or 3 hard turn 4k 4k 4k

banks/rolls/hard turns  are pretty much like a Tie Bomber.

The 4-k is golden. You will be expected to make this maneuver, your opponent will be sure you will make it, but you will nonetheless make it because it's the best maneuver (if he can't block it, that is). Also, you have to be mindful of the asteroids and put yourself in a position such that you can 4-k the next turn (even barrel roll if you have to).

Buddy gave me a tip that really eased my maneuvering problems with the Defender: deploy at a 45 degree angle.  Learn to guess where a 3 turn and 4k will land you all the time, and start your ship at a 45 instead of straight ahead.  Positioning and flanking will immediately become easier.

Learn to do the unexpected it's priceless when the other guy plans for the k turn and you bank instead, don't fear stress yes it may cost an action but you can really flumux someone by hard turning the pulling a k with a green two next turn.

Nothing is funnier than when your opponent gleefully believes that you are going to use that K-Turn and then all of a sudden your nowhere near where that K-Turn was supposed to put you. 

Learn to visualize the 4k.  You will be sitting in the 5 spot.  5 movement = 2 attack range.  

Think about using the 3 turn to get into the engagement.  

Don't fear getting close, that's what shields are for.  

Fly all three close enough together that they don't get picked off one at a time.  If you can, try and separate their guys also.  

Also, I like just putting a hull upgrade on mine.  Though some people swear by other choices.  

It's worth noting that the OP never said anything about running 3 of them.

When using Barrel Roll with the TIE Defender, it is frequently better to roll out and away from a target to give yourself more breathing room. Often doing this after a 4k will create stronger followup turns than other options - give the opponent enough rope to hang themselves.

This is a very good topic. Defender's have very different and specific maneuvering styles from other ships. I'm not a Defender flyer, but what do you Defender players think about using Yorr in conjunction with 2 Defenders? The stress grabbing at range 2 might go a long way to free up the Defenders' dial. 

The list looks like:

Yorr 

Vessery + Veteran Instincts

Brath + Wingman

Yorr target locks for Vessery and generally just supports the two PS 8 TIE Defenders. 

So. I love the Defender. Have since I first played TIE Fighter, and probably always will. I've done a decent number of games for it, and will now dispense my findings.

I've had the most success with the Defender when there are other high/reasonable threat craft around. It does well against little bursts of fire, but concentrated fire will eventually force a bad defense roll or two and take it out. I tend to use it with a Firespray, Soontir Fel, Buzzsaw Shuttle, or my favorite buddy cop duo Backstabber and Dark Curse. I don't like trying to take support craft because I really feel like the Defender needs ships that cover its gaps more then it needs direct support.

I say this because it does relate to flying. I have a lot of issues if my opponent can close and stay closed. I like to take an HLC and try to stay far away, using a K-Turn or a 3-Turn to maneuver away, and then re engage. This functions better if your opponent has other threats to focus on. Does he focus on the Defender, and leave Dark Curse, Backstabber and Soontir Fel around to to play freely and clean up? A bounty hunter in there isn't an ideal choice to leave around either, especially if you can cram in a Recon Spec.

I usually arm mine with a HLC so I like to keep my distance. I use alot of slow maneuvers that keep me from getting to close to the opponents. I use the k-turn when I can , but don't let it become a crutch or people can predict what you will do.

Also surprise people by not doing a k-turn when it seems it might be a good move. Opponents end up in awkward positions when you do.

Stay unpredictable by attacking different opponents instead of concentrating on one.

The two maneuvers that really distinct the ship is the white 4 k-turn and the 1 bank (a maneuver that not a lot of imperial craft have) and those are the 2 moves that you'll do the most, followed by the hard 3. When you want to turn around, k-turn; When you want to keep a ship in sight, bank 1; when you need to drastically change direction, hard 3.

Learn to plan 2-3 turns ahead: it's alright to make a red hard 1 if you know next or second round you'll make a green straight and this current move (the red one) can take your opponent with his pants down. Hard 1, k-turn, straight 2. Also, the double/triple k-turn is nasty, especially against an opponent that know you will do it, but can't do anything about it.

Don't rely too much on your agility dice: They can save your butt, but the better defense is still to not get shot. 3 agility/3 hull/3 shield can put you in a false sense of security that can backfire if your opponent have some decent shots on your ship. Try to avoid those situations and suddenly those stats will become a real pain for your opponent to get rid of.

Is the TIE/D better played aggressively or defensively? I've yet to try mine out (but good god do I love my phantom!!)

It's best to switch between the two mid game. Most people expect the obvious moves with it but once you take them by surprise it gets tricky to keep them guessing.

Mine always start out as a flanker then switches to a tank then will pull a random manuever to fool my opponent.

Is the TIE/D better played aggressively or defensively? I've yet to try mine out (but good god do I love my phantom!!)

It's best to switch between the two mid game. Most people expect the obvious moves with it but once you take them by surprise it gets tricky to keep them guessing.

Mine always start out as a flanker then switches to a tank then will pull a random manuever to fool my opponent.

This has been my experience as well.

I typically begin a game by having it tank a shot or two, then flip it out to the fringe and have it snipe until endgame. 

It's an interesting role and I think we ought to come up with a name for it. Not a flanker but... ?

I typically begin a game by having it tank a shot or two, then flip it out to the fringe and have it snipe until endgame. 

It's an interesting role and I think we ought to come up with a name for it. Not a flanker but... ?

Same thing.  It changes roles very easily.  I think it has really good distance control basically:  5s 4s 4k 3h give you long moves for keeping at a far distance (or getting in closer to something really far).  1b is great for close range control. 

Not a flanker but.....a defender!

A couple useful things....

Fishtail approach as mentioned above...

There's a light and heavy version of this..

Light ver, set ship at 22.5 degree facing to the direction you want to go, and alternate left and right banks.

Heavy, set ship at 45 degre facing and alternate left and right turns.

You can get an intermediate with left right right left left right right banks, and control approach better with speeds, and no red banks, so it's recommended over the heavy version.

8 point Star of death.

Requires engine upgrade. Try 4k turning as your regular move, and follow with a boost left each time. Once you see how that works, you can do variations on it, swapping out a k turn for a 3 turn followed by a boost, or a k turn with no boost. It's like travelling in a circle, but with the firing arc pointed in a different direction. (Note for example the effect of just two repetitions... You make a left turn, but end up right of where you began, Much like a right turn followed by rotating your ship 180)

Jacobs ladder. (Aka kiting)

4 k turn + roll! over and over again. See how it advances, and then add variation. This can be well used from a flank, or to delay forward movement, which can bring the enemy towards you on the table.

Just be careful, these patterned movements can be damning, in that they are predictable, but knowing when to break the pattern in an unpredictable and useful way is the key. If the opponent believes you will maintain the pattern, and you break it - you'll have an advantage.

Finally, don't be afraid to use the speed to close, pass by and disengage before coming back... A harassing defender is a tempting target for its points, but hard to catch. This either baits an enemy so your squad can go after it, or supports a squad that's engaging a target.