Sign in to follow this  
BAGGY

3 Defender Build

I think the 3x Delta + Ion Cannon list is cool.  On initial contact, you can lock down up to three ships, and the turn after make use of PS1 to move in on one and concentrate fire.  You know where you'll be able to move and you know you can K-turn freely.  This is wholly theoretical on my part, though.  I only own one.

I think I'd try Rexler with Push the Limit, with two Deltas.

PTL doesn't work well on Defenders. Their dial is pretty bad for clearing stress. Run Predator on Brath it was made for him. You can get a TL lite with predator and re-roll to save your focus to flip crits or use on defense.

Brath + two deltas could be good. Use the Deltas to block and have Brath blast ships with no tokens.

Bad Bad Okapi, PTL should not be used on anything but "Interceptors" (A-wings, E-wings, Interceptors, probably the new Scyk) or on Falcons because lets be honest almost anything works on Falcons.  Predator is the "new PTL".

That said I like Rex with Pred and 2 Deltas, it takes a bit to learn to fly but I would say I have around a 50% win percentage with it, if you have bad dice either red or green you are screwed, but against nonturreted ships/nonPhantom ships that white K-turn is amazing

When I started this game I picked up 2 Defenders and 3 Phantoms. After a couple of weeks playing with both ships I can say that at least for me the Defender is a pain to learn. It is expensive, and quirky and for some reason gets shot up a lot. But I think I am starting to get the hang of it. I play two of them in 100 points and they are a blast when the stars are aligned. 

I think I'd try Rexler with Push the Limit, with two Deltas.

PTL doesn't work well on Defenders. Their dial is pretty bad for clearing stress. Run Predator on Brath it was made for him. You can get a TL lite with predator and re-roll to save your focus to flip crits or use on defense.

Brath + two deltas could be good. Use the Deltas to block and have Brath blast ships with no tokens.

3 Defenders will suffer against numbers and slippery ships, but will do pretty good against other lists of 3 ships or less.

I also like Vessery w/ Outmaneuver + an Onyx and Delta. Send Vessery on the flank, if he does turn into Vessery he will have two Defenders on his tail.

Stress really isn't a big deal on defenders. If you're far away from your opponent, do a 1 straight and you're fine. If you're closer, you can do a 5 straight and shoot past them. Or you can ignore it all together and do a K-Turn. Most ships when stressed can only move in a tiny area, but will most likely still have a shot. The Defender is really good at getting out of Dodge when stressed.

Sure, your opponent KNOWS you're going to go straight if you need to de-stress, but chances are they can't block an entire 5 range band.

I'm also not a big fan of Predator on Defenders. You're most often only re-rolling 1 die out of 3 or 4. I'd rather pick Outmaneuver or PTL. Outmaneuver just wrecks large ships and PTL really helps with action economy.

My Defender dials must be broken. I don't have a 1-straight green on them.  :P

Really you have multiple choices if you don't want to clear stress, but if you want to clear it you have to go straight, you can't bank or turn at all. So it makes it easy for your opponent to block and or get out of your arc. The later being a bigger deal. I rather keep stress off my Defender if I can help it. Predator makes Brath way more flexible than PTL. True you usually only re-roll one die, but usually that can be enough to get some quality hits in. With any luck you can save your focus.

I have been flying my defenders in loose formation perhaps I need to fly them well apart. Sounds like a few people are having success perhaps I just need to change my tactics.