Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bulldoguk

Rebel Assault Frigate MkII'ish

39 posts in this topic

Wtf? I was painting asteroids only the other day!

I am blaming dagobah dave for drawing me back into the game with his excellent trench run scenario and joeboss and the rest of this forum for putting stupid ideas in my noggin!

Seem to be having a build splurge, you know how it is, you see some poly offcuts and think MkII Rebel Assault Frigate, rest is history, had a weekend on it, coming together nicely

FrigateWIP5_zpsece25ee9.jpg

Hot wire cutters, wonderful!

FrigateWIP2_zps5b0b3743.jpg

Basic shape finished, now for the fine tuning

FrigateWIP1_zps096cc1d3.jpg

FrigateWIP3_zps3f1b7530.jpg

Most of the main bits done, just got the tail end to work on now

FrigateWIP4_zps2c075f8b.jpg

Only had a couple of crappy pictures to work off, none of which showed the **** end of the frigate, something provided this shot however for an upcoming Armada ship, should help with the booty build!

Joeboss is creating his own frigate which he has christened the MkIII, as I have just obtained some better pictures to work from and realise the superstructure is a slightly different shape, it's too late to change now so let's just call this one the MkIV Bulldog Class ;)

10344814_918719854808314_337447828746676

Edited by bulldoguk

I know what you mean Macross, that's the very reason I went for it, its one of those things for me that is so ugly it has a beauty all of its own, bit like Uma Therman. I'm not too fond of the sleek pointy space stuff, the ships like this and the Neb B just rock my boat :)

Edited by bulldoguk

Man, that's such a tiny engine to drive such a large amount of mass, though. If there's anything you should break from when following the original, it's that.

Still, keep up the good work!

Edited by BenderIsGreat

Freakin awesome work Bulldog!

Please do share more photos - love to see scratch builds and Epic sized ships

Im working on two 1/600 scale Interdictors at the moment with another 3 destroyers on the go and a Quasar class about half way finished.

Just gotta find that all important commodity......time lol

Once again though Great work!

Glad your liking it chaps, its coming together surprisingly quickly, considering I am totally winging it as I build!

I cut the basic shape by gluing 3 pieces of poly together then attacking it with the hot wire cutter after sanding I skimmed it over with lightweight filler then sanded down again, I will cut the plates from card and stick them over this, that's the last stage and usually the fun bit as it starts to look like a space ship then :)

Rather than making it super smooth I think I will leave it a little 'rough' I reckon it will give it a nice veteran look once painted

Wish I had the room tbh and I would be tempted to knock together a mon cal now I worked out an easy method for the curvy bits

The thing I am looking forward to most is getting my bloody table back, what with this and the station I made last week, I aint got room to breath let alone crack on with my other stuff!

Edited by bulldoguk

Bully you is a BAMF!

:lol:

Mine is gonna look great but you are just as crazy and so I am looking forward to your awesome work. Keep it updated mate.

I start work on mine again next week when my new supplies are delivered. I am looking at what will be my SCUM Epic fleet too.

:ph34r:

Well done! Still, if there is one rebel capital ship I've never liked the looks of it has to be this one. It's just too short and fat, as if it was a chibi/super deformed version of a proper ship.

Not to take anything from our beloved UK Winger here.

This is the way I am going, and I am not trying to do the exact MKII, but what I am calling a MKIII. Bulldog this may give you some ideas to brother.

assaultfrigatemkii.png

The back of this ship is more there, and the look has more sleek going on, while still looking heavy duty.

Anyhow since we will have exact MKII  in ARMADA, that just inspired me more to do a sleeker, smaller version of the ship, thus the MKIII.

Keep at it Bulldog!

:D

I like the fact that we are going to come up with two similar but different ships Joeboss, keeps things fresh! The back end of my Figate actually plugs in and is separate to save space when its collecting dust, erm, I mean displayed in its glory on the shelves, which actually leaves a few options open if I want to make a new back end, oh, oh, or even create a full mid ship carrier thing that plugs into the forward hull, oh ffs you have done it again mate...another bloody idea in the little black book!

Looking forward to seeing your build, I have said it before, it's a shame there is a big pond in the way because getting all these ships together in a mother of all fleet battles would be nine levels of awesome!

Harleigh likes this

Yes, do keep at it both of you, just remember that we want pics (or it didn't happen) of both builds. Wouldn't want to disappoint your adoring fans, right? :)

Yeah it is cool to know that we can all inspire each other. I love that aspect of owning a blog or other nice media outlet. Bulldog blaims me for giving him ideas but he inspires me too, and I am sure other like minded people enjoy his work. I had to giggle when i saw he had recently converted a full STAW BORG Fleet on his other hang out site.

Borg_Smiley_by_SilverPixiGirl.png

Sweet mother of God Joeboss, don't tell them we play the 'other' game, they will spam us with complicated tournament lists to bore us to death....

Anyhooo

Pretty much finished the basic shape now, will have to bob it away for a couple of weeks now I have my table back so I can crack on with some paid commission work but next will be detailing and a huge base!

Big fat Gypsy Spaceship

FrigatebuildWIP1_zps32f5505a.jpg

I wonder who ate all the space pies?

FrigatebuildWIP2_zps771c4c9d.jpg

Teeny weeny xwing for scale

FrigatebuildWIP4_zpsd6269d03.jpg

Show off!

FrigatebuildWIP5_zps0488cb83.jpg

Bum end

FrigatebuildWIP3_zpsfd4186ee.jpg

Breaks down for easy storage/transport and leaves me the option of future mods ;)

FrigatebuildWIP6_zpscbbfd35c.jpg