Papa Midnight

Guys, will Armada cause you to give up X-Wing?

I'm much more likely to find regular opponents for X-Wing here in the middle of China than I am for Armada. I'll still get it, of course, but I expect to be the provider of all of the models (not that there's anything wrong with that).

...Why not?

On 8/19/2014 at 1:45 AM, Norsehound said:

No. X-Wing is still going to remain in circulation since it's easier to play, easier to get into, and I'm afraid likely easier to find players for. I know I'll be supporting other players by letting them play with my set, but apart from one other person I don't know whom in my FLGS circle will be collecting alongside me :(

I did abandon X-Wing. I like the control Armada has more than X-Wing- Armada only rarely has situations where there's nothing I can do about certain combinations coming my way. There is no three blank green dice equivalent in Armada.

I was back a couple of times in X-Wing but I'm not jumping on the 2.0 wagon. It's Armada here on out.

30 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

Yes, the internet does make plenty of unsubstantiated claims doesn't it?

Unfortunately, the internet creates a surreality that has an impact upon reality - just like conspiracy theories make people vote for the crazies.

I guess I did not reply to that question. At the time, I figured I would play both. In reality my playing of X-Wing did peter out, but my playing of Armada has also diminished over the past 9 months (reason: life). But I still have my X-Wing stuff, and until 2.0 is really a thing, I suppose I can pick it up when I need to. It is, after all, still a shorter game which might fit my schedule better.

2 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

People on the internet also think VSDs are useless, so I am not sure you can trust them....

I'm also the guy proving that Leia is worth using, so I'm not sure that I'M trustworthy either. ?

On 8/19/2014 at 6:23 AM, Papa Midnight said:

Honestly, will Armada force you to drop X-Wing?  (assuming that you are collecting and gaming X-Wing to begin with)

When I started with Armada, being able to fall back to X-Wing allowed me to enjoy the game more. One of the main reasons for me to eventuallly drop out of playing 40k was the sheer length of games and the amount of downtime each player had during his opponent's turn. Of course, this was also coupled with the amount of money one would usually pump into the hobby. 

X-Wing brilliantly avoided all of these points, but on first glance it didn't seem to me Armada did. Coming from an active X-Wing player's perspective allowed me to slowly expand my fleet and learn, which incidentally lead to more X-Wing games being played, not less.  It's a question of how much time and space is available, which of course means X-Wing is easier to set up and find opponents for. 

TL;DR:

You absolutely do not have to "drop" X Wing to play Armada if you don't want to. For me right now, Armada healthily punctuates my many X-Wing games- it needs more preparation and thus games don't just "happen", but in turn the two systems slot into each other perfectly.

On 6/26/2018 at 8:20 PM, geek19 said:

I'm also the guy delusionally tricking myself into thinking that Leia is worth using, so I'm not sure that I'M trustworthy either. ?

Fixed that for you.

#ShmittyIsGonnaWin

Edited by Truthiness

We just finished a 'star wars day' in which our FLGS patrons were encouraged to bring in any and all star wars games for a day of fun. A single game of Destiny was played, and the rest was Armada. Between games we got to discussing X-wing and Armada and the universal consensus was that Armada was the superior game in every regard. Games between experienced players are actually shorter (played a full game in 1 hour today, 3 ships a side), with more interesting decisions at each turn.

I've been taking advantage of the amazing 'the sky is falling' 1.0 sales for X-wing, with up to 70% off core sets, in order to prepare for HotAC campaigns. I'm not going to invest anything into 2.0 (including wave 14) until the app is available and I can see the point cost for some of the absurdly strong abilities. At that point, I'll either give up on competitive X-wing entirely or keep my balancing act between the two games going.

On 6/27/2018 at 7:50 AM, Norsehound said:

Yes, the internet does make plenty of unsubstantiated claims doesn't it?

[Citation Needed] ?