Sign in to follow this  
D4rkt3mpl4r

My Gen Con Finals "Mistake" <<LONG>>>

Well, while for me this post is not needed.

I wouldn't allow you to take the tokens back to be honest. Yes, you forgot about them. I can get that the stress etc, can be quite hard, but so it is for your opponent aswell, which is exactly in the same conditions as you are. But since i am not your opponent, and he allowed you, i don't see the problem. The discussion i think it is less about this event, and more about the general rule of thumb than most of us would follow, and i think we had a very civil discussion there.

Cheers on your victory thought, i don't think you are less deserving, and i know that this kind of things can get easilly on your skin, just like everything on the internet, you need to get thick skin. I can't wait to listen/read to your interview.

I don't think the list is really bad, i had flied it, and i see it has a lot  of potential if you are a good player, and for sure you are. You just need to work on your nerves!

Edited by DreadStar

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  I basically have avoided playing in tournaments.  I guess I just really enjoy the whole "fly casual" thing, and have no problem helping out an opponent to remember abilities, tokens, etc.  For me, much like you, it is always about having fun, and not worrying about "winning".

I definitely believe that you can play to win, play at your very best, and still play to have fun.  To be clear, I have met many wonderful, nice people at FLGS's, Store Championships, Regionals, etc.  In fact, most of them have been that way.

So I don't avoid tournaments because I feel people aren't nice and all, but because I just don't want to be in a situation, such as you found yourself.  I just want to have fun, and I don't want to have to consider every last thing that I say and do, and how it will impact others. 

Rick, you won the game fair and square.  Don't sweat it.  It sounds like both of you played honorably and fairly.  One overlooked action does not negate your win.  It doesn't negate all the wins you had before that game, and it doesn't negate what happened after it.  Enjoy your championship.  It's well deserved.

Honestally maybe your good karma for always helping others has caught up to you. In my mind no one seems to blame you and my faith in the "Fly Casual" aspect of the game has been heightened. Also if your opponent won because you forgot to use your tokens, he could feel the same way right now.

Edited by Imperial Rebel

Don't let that grumpy guy get to you. There's a "don't be a d-bag" clause in the rules somewhere. There's a section on forgetting stuff, IIRC. You're opponent allowed you to place your tokens. He's the only one that mattered. Some people wouldn't let you and that's their right, but this guy did, because he's probably flying casual too. It isn't that bystander's decision whether or not you get to place tokens, so forget about him. Enjoy your new ships. Keep flying casual.

You, sir, are all about Flying Casual.

As Buhalin beat me to say, the game was between the two of you. No one else. What happened on your board, is between the two of you. I have the utmost respect for you and how the game was played.

Enjoy your ships. Enjoy your victory. No matter what anyone else may think or say or be something of a moron about, you earned it.

If you're ever up near Peterborough, let me know. I'll buy you a beer. And we can have a match or two. But... play first. Beer second. :)

These things are very long and totally exhausting. You played fairly, you played well, and you earned it. I know exactly who you are talking about and I will tell you exactly what I said (and my opinion was the shared by all the others). It was none of his business, at all, full stop.

Don't spend another minute thinking about it. Every top player in the game knows you earned your win, fairly, decently, and completely, the opinion of one guy (and there is always one, no matter what) is just not something to be concerned about. Consider there was a Senator who was concerned about Guam capsizing, and understand there is always someone who just doesn't get it.

Congratulations, you deserve it.

Yep. The only person who should have an issue is your opponent. And they obviously didn't. And most people who watch these don't quite fully understand what meat grinder it is, emotionally, mentally, and physically. The comments people are making about mistakes of finals games that are being played at midnight are ignorant of the true situation.

Congratulations on your victory.

Edited by Sithborg

Yep. The only person who should have an issue is your opponent. And they obviously didn't. And most people who watch these don't quite fully understand what meat grinder it is, emotionally, mentally, and physically. The comments people are making about mistakes of finals games that are being played at midnight are ignorant of the true situation.

I am one of those speaking about mistakes on tournaments, and i had been in 4 day LAN tournaments many times. I completely understand the situation, the nerves, etc... what you don't seem to understand isthat those kind of mistakes make or lose games. Fair and square.

As i said before, it is nobody's business but for his opponent and him, but don't make silly claims.

Edited by DreadStar

Hey man, I hope my comments in other threads didn't contribute to any negative feelings on your end. Its easy to post opinions on the internet about third parties without thinking how they may take it when they read it. When I use the word "punish" I mean only in the context of the game, not the people involved. I don't think you or your opponent did the "wrong" thing.

I think the reason there is so much discussion around your game is because there is no default response to situations like this which makes it hard to know what to do in these situations. As we evolve as a community hopefully there will be less of these awkward situations for high-profile players.

The important thing is that everyone on this forum who knows you or has played with you has nothing but wonderful things to say. Congratulations on your win, I hope I get to play you some day :)

PS its just a game.

I am one of those speaking about mistakes on tournaments, and i had been in 4 day LAN tournaments many times. I completely understand the situation, the nerves, etc... what you don't seem to understand isthat those kind of mistakes make or lose games. Fair and square.

As i said before, it is nobody's business but for his opponent and him, but don't make silly claims.

Why would you want to win based on a mistake like that?

Like i wouldn't want to win based on a mistake like that. A minor mistake is not minor if it can decide the game.

Edit 

Since i do not want this taken out of context. This had been repeated, i am expressing my opinion on what i would do in such circumstances, not that Darktemplar or his opponent acted wrongly. I don't see any trouble if his opponent allowed him. 

What baffles me is that people would had thought less of his opponent if he didn't allow him (like you said, "you have to be a wanker").

Edited by DreadStar

YOU GOT 6 BOXES OF SHIPS! WOAH DUDE

Gonna whisper in your ear that I echo what everyone is saying: your opponent (correctly) extended the same courtesy you've been doing to others all this time. Take that in earnest since you expect the same when you do it to others. The finals, at your height of fatigue, is no time to sourly battle on those small details, especially since your little sequence of phantom steps held no surprise.

I'm very proud of you for breaking a new barrier in the game, winning a national event with a shuttle!

edit - do you have a scanner? XD

Edited by Mu0n

Rick, it was an honor to meet you this weekend and watch you fly that list like a beast. I assure you I have zero issue with how things unfolded and anyone who really plays this game and is part of this great community understands the situation and has no problems with how it was handled. Class act by both you and Jeff. Take a deep breath and enjoy the victory. You earned it. Your play on Saturday was some of the best flying I've ever seen in this game. Again, great to meet you and hope to get the chance to play you at worlds in November. Congrats, man!!!

Edited by barn34

Why would you want to win based on a mistake like that?

Like i wouldn't want to win based on a mistake like that. A minor mistake is not minor if it can decide the game.

If he'd been doing the exact same thing, every round, for round after round, and notably indicated he was going to keep on doing that...then there was no mistake.

So he didn't physically place the token on the board - okay, fine.  Heck, how many people bother to keep piling up stress tokens next to a PtL-Tycho after you've already committed to a strategy that maxes him out?  ("Okay, gimme a sec, I need to find a 7th stress token in my box...")  Doesn't happen!  Not putting a cloak and focus token down beside a ship that has done that same exact thing every other turn, and has no reason to EVER do anything else, does not mean those things didn't happen in a "fly casual" game any more than 8 turns of PtL on Tycho with no stress tokens next to him means he isn't stressed - everyone playing knows what the situation is, and that's all that is needed.

I don't know what you are trying to argue Xanderf (for starters, you are saying he did it, but just didn't put the tokens down, something he had said he doesn't even know because of stress, etc.) but let's see:

Was is it a mistake ? Yep.

His opponent allowed him to redo ? Yep. 

So everything is fine ? Yep.

But, would had been poor sportsmanship from his opponent if he didn't allow him to re-do ?  No.

Edited by DreadStar