Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
D4rkt3mpl4r

My Gen Con Finals "Mistake" <<LONG>>>

155 posts in this topic

Mistakes will happen.

Sure, but minimizing the number of mistakes you make is part of being a good player. The fact that you're tired doesn't mean you're entitled to fix your mistakes. You're obviously entitled to be generous and let your opponent go back and change something, but I strongly dislike this attitude that good sportsmanship requires letting them get away with it.

Really, I mean really. You've come a long way from this thread http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/102172-swarm-etiquette/?p=1024499

I'm laying here at 5:30am after reading the forums for the past hour waiting for my first grand-child ... . This thread has giving me much more faith in the X Wing community and particularly this forum. For a few weeks I was getting bummed with a lot of negativity, a tiny bit mine even, but wow to see so much support given has been awesome.

Thanks for being so candid and vulnerable. You deserve this win, so does this forum.

Stay Classy :-)

White knights lose at life and games. Embrace being strong, intelligent and having standing. You can't enter into all these one sided social contracts and expect a jerk to not be a jerk.

Mistakes will happen.

Sure, but minimizing the number of mistakes you make is part of being a good player. The fact that you're tired doesn't mean you're entitled to fix your mistakes. You're obviously entitled to be generous and let your opponent go back and change something, but I strongly dislike this attitude that good sportsmanship requires letting them get away with it.

Really, I mean really. You've come a long way from this thread http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/102172-swarm-etiquette/?p=1024499

Consistency is great innit' :P

Osoroshii likes this

IMO the most important thing in all of this is that only two people were playing that game; Rick and Jeff. What happened in that game is on them, and nobody else. If Jeff let Rick redo his cloak happily and Rick accepted it, then IMO nobody else in the crowd has the right to be upset or be pushing the TO to call it. There is unfortunately a level of self-importance in the human nature to try and enforce our own ways on others at times, but it doesn't make it right, so I say to that person in the crowd, 'mind your own business'.

Punning Pundit likes this

What I love about this community is that most of these posts are about congratulating you and not to worry.

Your opponent and you flew casual. And that's the essence of good gamesmanship.

Congrats

(Though I do believe there had to be some wizardry in that list of yours...can't wait to see the video)

Edited by TnT

I'm at a point right now where I regret even going to the tournament. Those 6 new boxes of ships that I was so excited about on Thursday are sitting behind me and I don't even want to look at them.

If I'm not mistaken it's two Rebel Aces, two Decimators and two Outriders, no?

If you geniunely feel guilty about winning them, could send the doubles to Jeff, split the prize so to speak. Better three ships you're happy to have than six you feel bad about.

The ships from Wave 5 and Rebels Aces were from purchases only. The prizes from the tournament were Target Lock tokens, a Chewie alt art card, Movement Templates, Range Ruler, and a bag with Imperial Aces pic on it.

(Though I do believe there had to be some wizardry in that list of yours...can't wait to see the video)

There's a video!?  Let's have it!

Ah, you mean the interview.  I understand now.  I thought there was a video bat rep of the actual game... my mistake.

And to Rick, you made a slight mistake, your opponent let you fix it.  No controversy.  You won.  Enjoy it.

Flat out mistakes happen at the highest level of any game.  The only person this should matter to is your opponent who clearly had the same 'Fly Casual' attitude as you did.  A Mistake was made, he allowed you to correct it, no foul.  I am sure if you asked Jeff, he would say that he made mistakes as well.

Point being, I wouldn't worry about it.  You won under the most stressful conditions imaginable, with the two developers of the game watching every move.  I'd say you did a fine job!  Congratulations man, enjoy the win!

DT, congrats man! I knew when I played you in the GC that you had the ability to take it to the top level of competition.

You're a champ more because of your attitude than your considerable skill. It was a pleasure to make friends with you in the CG.

Which I fell a little less bad about now, I can now say I was knocked out of the GC divisional by the National Champ!

EDIT: I don't mean to diminish Vorpal Sword's win against me, but now it sounds better if I claim DT was the reason! ;)

Edited by JFunk
Radarman5 likes this

Huge props to Jeff for the great display of sportsmanship.    And I think that your fly casual approach is probably what led him to do so :-)

BTW, Dark Templar, did you ever figure out why you started spontaneously bleeding during our game in the 2nd round of the Saturday top 64? :-) 

EvilEd209 and JFunk like this

Huge props to Jeff for the great display of sportsmanship.    And I think that your fly casual approach is probably what led him to do so :-)

BTW, Dark Templar, did you ever figure out why you started spontaneously bleeding during our game in the 2nd round of the Saturday top 64? :-) 

Sozin, didn't I tell you DT was a fantastic player when you made the "mistake" of letting me be a guest on one of your early livecasts? ;)

Edit: The dice gods were reminding him of his Faustian deal with them!

Edited by JFunk
EvilEd209 likes this

So you did!  It made me extra careful during my Saturday match against him.  Not that it mattered, my "beefcake" squad (Howl  + ST, Scim x 5) were just a bunch of flying coffins to his Whisper.  Still, I killed Yorr and Soontir only had 1 HP left...

JFunk likes this

First off Congrats, secondly forget about it man. In every game there are rule sticklers that will feel that every rule should be followed to the tee. Jokes on him though, he didn't make it to the final table, he didn't play all day and night, so he has no idea how you feel, and how hard it is to play under those conditions.

I played a regional SWLCG this year, drove 5 1/2 hours to play and during game three felt the way you did. Started making rules about when I would drop out. On game three I was second guessing rules, forgetting to play cards etc. I finally just quit because I was exhausted, and I wanted to do other things in Minnesota. But when I played I reminded the opponent of certain card effects, because if it's there why not? They played the card, sometimes there is just so much that you get ahead of yourself and forget.

Good win, enjoy your ships and your family, and make sure you take your wife out to dinner a couple of times. 

EvilEd209 likes this

D4rkt3mpl4r congrats on the win. If the other guy lets you fix something then that's up to him. None of us should second guess you and your victory. If nothing else, making it to the final proves how good you are and that single mistake shouldn't taint what you've done.

AtomicFryingPan, that took some serious guts and a lot of honor, so good on you for being able to admit you're right and restoring DT's victory.

Honestly this is why I love this community so much. I've never ever seen the kind of things that happen here any where else.

Last year we had a guy drop out because of a scoring error someone else was going to miss the final 16, so he gave up his place.

This year we have the chap understandably upset about something that happened, and the person who did it not only realizing his mistake, but posting here to apologize and resolve the whole issue.

JFunk and GodlessMimicry like this

First off, congratulations, I look forward to seeing the TC video of the finals!

I sympathize with your situation since I was in a position of forgetting a cloak on Echo in a regional tournament. My opponent (who is my X-Wing sparring friend) would not let me take it afterwards. I was nervous going into the match because I knew he would be the only one who had a reasonable chance of beating me and nerves got the best of me. It made me pretty upset during the match, i was both upset at myself for forgetting and at him for his change from our usual understanding of casual sparring matches, even if he was entirely within his rights to deny me that. I don't actually recall if I asked him to take the cloak, but as soon as I declared that I had forgotten it, he told me that it's a tournament and the opportunity was gone.  Of course this only made the game more stressful and I couldn't bring myself to fly calmly after that. The forgotten cloak didn't cost me HP (I was still behind an asteroid, going straight at it) as much as it cost me a few maneuvers to go around the asteroid. In the end I won the game (the tournament as well afterwards) and I allowed myself a smile and apologized for not being my usual calm self.

I think it's great that Jeff let you have that cloak, but I also defend that it would have been perfectly legitimate to not allow you that, as my friend did. You should also consider that you won that game fairly, irrespective of that mistake or his decision to allow you the cloak.

On a related note, is there a chance you would find the time to make a short battle report? I'm sure many of us are curious how a Phantom list slipped between so many Falcons!

The ships from Wave 5 and Rebels Aces were from purchases only. The prizes from the tournament were Target Lock tokens, a Chewie alt art card, Movement Templates, Range Ruler, and a bag with Imperial Aces pic on it.

There were also transparent dice and challenge coins as consolation prizes for 5-8.

I've had games like yours, forgotten everything, bumped everything. 

Because our group has a number of people looking to play in tournaments we usually let things slide for the new players but after a few games start punishing them for mistakes (or punishing me for mistakes too) by not letting them do things.  Exception for the people testing a new build of course.  No one does it to be a pain, it's always done to help the other player.  We provide a lot of feedback to our opponents too. 

Otacon likes this

I never realized how casual I was flying in tournaments!  Personally I will let an opponent do something that was supposed to automatically happen anyway (cloaking is a key example).  I want to win because I outplayed someone, not because my opponent forgot to put a focus token on Whisper.  I try to be very conscious to remember things in tournaments, but I'm sure my opponents have occasionally let me put something on that I forgot.

I do agree that in terms of "the rules" it's legitimate to deny people these things.  At the same time, I'm never going to do that at a local store tournament because that's where I want to encourage people to get better at the game and keep playing!  I will often remind people to take their actions, etcetera.

I have to admit though - if I ever was in one of the last tables at Regionals or above... I might be tempted to become more of a rules stickler...

Punning Pundit and Jo Jo like this

I'm never going to do that at a local store tournament because that's where I want to encourage people to get better at the game and keep playing!

I'd dare say that most people even those of us who tend to play more strictly would never enjoy stomping on a newbie, or pouncing on every mistake.

For most of us, how strict we get is going to depend a great deal on the environment. Friendly pick up game is different from a league night game, which is different from a tournament with prizes, which is also different then the final 8 of the Worlds.

That said you'll have 'that guy' at most every level, someone who finds winning to be the one and only thing to matter.