Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crimsonsun

Nagash Back, Kislev GONE!

60 posts in this topic

Nagash may only be the first 'wave'

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/08/wfb-end-times-have-just-begun.html

As noted, one is by no means obligated to take a RPG campaign in this direction, any more than one is obligated to stop playing any edition of the RPG because it's no longer published.  Storm of Chaos, End Times, you can use them or not.

Myself, likely more not - rather, it's all grist for mill of imagination.  Storm or something like it might happen offstage in my campaign as it's a "shake up" not "revision".  I'll have to see what they really mean with End Times stuff before deciding what if any of it makes it onstage.

BTW, don't know if you've notice the cute variation GW has done with its logo on warhammer website in honour of Nagash and his undead legions

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Warhammer

ElCommi likes this

This is getting very promising campaing...

Did everyone see this product: Warhammer - Nagash Limited Edition

... See the map also more carefully (too bad that Kislev is hidden)...

Thats the book I ordered. Got my confirmation at 19:13 UK time.

Can't wait to see it.

I don't like the size of the Nagash model though. It's way too big for 28mm :(

Nagash may only be the first 'wave'

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/08/wfb-end-times-have-just-begun.html

As noted, one is by no means obligated to take a RPG campaign in this direction, any more than one is obligated to stop playing any edition of the RPG because it's no longer published.  Storm of Chaos, End Times, you can use them or not.

Myself, likely more not - rather, it's all grist for mill of imagination.  Storm or something like it might happen offstage in my campaign as it's a "shake up" not "revision".  I'll have to see what they really mean with End Times stuff before deciding what if any of it makes it onstage.

BTW, don't know if you've notice the cute variation GW has done with its logo on warhammer website in honour of Nagash and his undead legions

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Warhammer

You can read little preview of the Nagash -novel in Black Industries. It starts from late summer 2522. Reading that - I'm just wondering is SoC happening as we know it?! I mean has the Middenheim-Invasion happened and Archaon retreated to north, or just coming down there?

Or is the "next wave" of End Times (Chaos) rebooting the entire event! It very much seems like that now...

Well, either way - since SoC came out (2004) huge number of Warhammer-fans have just blamed the even to be horrifying and just wrong... I think one of the main arguments have been that it was - little lame. Nothing really changed even it did destroy northern Empire, but who cares that. Now, maybe GW has listened all these years and now decided to do something really world shattering ;)  But it is also interesting how much will they shake the world and then how far to the future they will set the next edition.

Edited by jackdays

It's out - reading, it's Storm of Chaos again (never happened, now is happening), with Archaon and Valten but neither reaching their end of line yet (so whether as much of a let down and assassination etc. remains to be seen), and more elements of other sorts, revisions etc. added in.  Hans von Leitdorf is a notable figure head of Knights of Sigmar's Blood.

It includes Sigmar's Blood events and the kidnapping of the elven princess that has been part of the wargame fluff for a while as key steps in the "evil plan" and also "the reason it may not work as planned".

Likely it all plays out over the coming supplements.  There is a seed for how it could "come tumbling down" for Nagash.

Starts in 2523 (after Sigmar's Blood events) and runs to fall 2525.  It does set up some "gone but likely really" events of the "stasis" style some disliked about Storm (e.g., at least 2 key figures that die didn't, Settra may come back on Team Chaos).

Overall it's "Storm" on steroids in terms of what's happening.  Lord Mazamundi, "The Great Plan has failed, the Exodus must begin".  Never heard of "Exodus" before - didn't know that was an option for the Slann.  Don't know what that does to the tabletop fans who like lizardman armies.  It has "high fantasy" elements such as the "Auric Bastion", an impassable barrier raised to keep chaos from entering the Empire (think magically created Great Wall).

There is an occasional interesting bit of fluff and such but overall, per above, I don't see doing this in a RPG nor in the style of Old World gaming I like.  Don't get me wrong, a Patriarch of the College of Magic falling into error, even killing the Emperor is all fine to mix things up for roleplaying (1st edition did latter in the RPG but as a culmination of campaign).  Also for RPG purposes you need as many figures coming onstage as leaving the stage and generally more of the "names" are getting knocked down than "new ones" arriving.  It also bugs me a bit that "teams Nagash, vampires, undeath, Chaos" don't seem to really lose anyone.

That said, as a template for wargame scenarios yes it works fine and throws lots into the mix except the lizardmen.

There is are also passing references to two old favourites: an unnamed vampire girl who the writing makes sounds like Genevieve Dieudonne of Drachenfels etc..  There is even a hint at Drachenfels returning (at least that's who I suspect is the figure of importance recently defeated in the Grey Mountains, serving the Great Necromancer in exchange for vow to have its memory returned, called only Nameless, able to dominate many minds).

Edited by valvorik

New for those into the Setting is that it was Nagash that stopped the Storm of Chaos and in the process of this Kislev has been obliterated! Honestly I am thrilled by this whole end of times scenarios GW are bringing out, to such an extent I am buying from them for the first time in 5 years, not only that but I will buying on preorder as I cannot wait!

Curses foiled again! Last time it was Grimgor Ironhide, now it's Nagash! Will the other evil races please stop messing with chaos' plans for world domination?

Hilarious, it sounds like GW turned The Thousand Thrones campaign into official WFB canon, not what I expected. :)

That was exactly my thoughts, there are a few bits of fluff I am waiting for news on but Vlad is back, Nagash brought him back to unlife and he is leading the fight against Chaos, while Nagash is kicking Settra's butt down in the south in order to reunite the south lands.

Honestly though I thought the Thousand thrones prophecies and back story around Nagash and Vampires (especially the Liber Fanaticia stuff) was fantastic and if GW have gone down that road then good! :D

I heard something that Krell is with Nagash, but Heinrich Kemler is with the forces of chaos. You'd expect it to be the other way around with Krell having been a chaos warrior in life and heinrich being, well, the lichemaster. 

Is there any mention of Dieter Helsnicht?

Aww Krell and kemler on oposing sides, and they used to be BFFs. :)

For crying out loud. I've loved the Warhammer undead ever since the Return of the Lich Lord for HeroQuest. I really REALLY hope this looks and feels good because I'm quite ready to rekindle my love for WFRP and kickstart a new campaign.

From what ive seen Nagash army of undead is like a return to the good old days of 4th edition when you had carrion, skull catapults, chariots, vampires, zombies, mummies, batswarms wight etc in the same army. PLUS the lords options read like a who's who of tomb kings/ vampire counts special characters. Krell, prince apohas, arkan the black, vlad von carstein...

and nagash himself: 1000 pts level 5(!) sorcerer and the lowest stat is a 6! And he TRIPLES the points of any summoning spellhe casts. And a great model with an even greater pricetag.

There is a major upheaval in Nuln, the Countess is saved from mobs who want to burn her as witch and adulteress, as part of general upheavals of mobs (throughout empire), she is rescued by "a retired dock watch captain" who held the city's old quarter long enough for relief from Altdorf.  This happens around time the Grand Theogonist goes into Sylvania on his last ill-fated venture.

There is a major battle/event (#8) near Nuln at the Beechervast Sigmarite Temple.

To others, the timeline does not advance to the foiling of Storm of Chaos, defeat of Archaon, so who actually does that (if it's done) remains to be seen.

d6 Evil Men likes this

So who would likely defeat Archaon?

Nagash? Vlad? Karl franz? Valten ?(is he still in this version?) The white dwarf? Someone else?

Personaly i'd go for Nagash. Atleast the big bad necromancer is a worthier foe. I'm glad they retconned archaon getting punked by valten and grimgor (the **** ork couldn't beat Vardek Cromm and he wins against the everchosen? BS!)

Any mention of what the dark elves are doing during all of this?

Yes dark elves mentioned and a secret and dangerous bargain/agreement between leaders there and among asur.

Valten and Huss are birth still there, so far much as before but early in events and Karl Franz is left hanging in terms of the empire having a leade or not.

Edited by valvorik

I'm going of-the-fluff-as-written here but I always liked Archaon as a doomed hero.

His background tells us that he might have once been templar who read "forbidden tome" after which he rode North. I took this and the fact that Storm of Chaos did not end and turned it into a plan.

Archaon (as a Sigmarite templar) learned that the Gods of the Empire were in fact entities formed in the Warp. He also knew that the industrialisation of the Empire was decreasing the people's faith in the Gods. So he took the part foretold for him and became the lord of chaos to lead the rampaging hordes to Empire once again. But not for total destruction. He wanted to show the people that Chaos is real and thus that they needed their Gods. 

Currently (my) Archaon is sitting in the Brass Keep bidding his time. The Chaos Gods are a bit pissed but on the other hand Archaon has served them well. For more people now know and believe in them than ever and that makes them stronger. They do not particularly care that it also enhances the Gods of the Empire. 

This works well with Nagash as he is a "new player" to this equation. He will shake this balance and most likely cause utter chaos.

/end offtopic

The Archaon novel sets out "what he read" that "turned him" - I won't spoil it but my view of the novel is "pfft" and the weak-tea take on what he read that was so important is part of that (together with the Ruinous Power intervention in keeping him alive that makes the whole thing pointless, better as backdrop to an actual story's focus).  If you hoped for any new interpretation etc. of the "reality" of the old world it's not there (you can't really get a full explanation given GW's overall control but you can get interesting spins on things).

Doc- I'm sure a decent GM can create a more interesting Archaon than the novel.

Grimgor is included "the most ferocious fighter of his kind, Grimgor lacked any real desire to lead."  Skarsnik also spoken to, and Wurrzag the shaman who realizes (perhaps due to twin gods) that it's two great leaders who will lead the Waaagh! to smash the world.  All in a "setting up" phase.

Overall I think the Nagash End Times text, though it has many battles for tabletop to use, is narratively more "setting the stage" than "resolving things".

Edited by valvorik

That's hard to say.  I don't begrudge the money I spent but I'm a well-paid fellow whose gaming budget is getting underspent with FFG got taking money out of my pocket. and I'm a completionist.  If I was still in university I would never have wanted spend the price charged for this.

I'm in my third year (mature student!) and I went and preordered the Limited Edition book!

(Which still hasn't arrived I might add - Should have ordered to the shop)

Is it worth getting?!

As someone who cares for there partner full time meaning the largest part of my income comes from various under paying benefits I will say it is the best thing the Games Workshop design Studio have released in the last decade possibly 2 and I will be getting all 4 books (8 Volumes). They not only look exceptional but all the information within is new, this is unheard of from GW who have not released more than 10pages of new setting information in a decade.

From a RPG point of view I am not in a position to say since I have not read it all yet, but if you love the setting for its own sake I think its a must have purchase and I seriously feel this is the most exciting thing I have seen from Games Workshop since Tom Kirby got his hands on the company.

Regarding who lives who dies the Vampire team has a few loses most notably Wallach previously the most powerful Blood Dragon left, then of course there is Settra who Nagash obliterates. Remember this is only Part 1 of 4 so the various factions will all take far more hits before the story gets to its last phase. (though I am still hoping there is no resolution).

Book 2 is Skaven, Book 3 is Chaos, Book 4 is the most exciting - Elves, who by the seems of it SUMMON KHAINE and the Dark Elves and High Elves form an alliance to achieve this!

Archaon vs Nagash vs Khaine! whoever wins we loose...

Place your bets!

In this corner: the world heavy weight, the lord of the end times, Archaoooooooooooon the ever choooosen!

And in this cormer the returning champion, making his re-entrance after centuries of absence, Naaaaaaaaa-gash!

Fight!

Carcosa likes this

Settra doesn't really "die" he comes back possibly on team Chaos or at the very least it's team Chaos that thinks it useful to have him back.

While on Nekharan bit, we also learn (a) at least one ancient god of Nekhara still exists (or did until Nagash defeats him), which is news as the current status of those gods is very open, they are here called "Elder Gods"; (b) and that god's "afterlife realm" of the Underworld (presumably in the Realm of Chaos) is "real", or at least seems to Deiter Helsnicht, Nagash's servant, and thus though nothing is said of it, perhaps Morr's Realm is too - though some speculate it is a fiction

Oh and as another high fantasy element, the Black Pyramid lifts off and is now a flying Pyramid (we get that in some artwork too, much is recycled but some is new, at least I think so, I often think some art is new then see it was in some other warhammer product before).  That comes at the end of the timeline described here (Nagash defeating Settra, claiming all souls in Nekhara's underworld and godhood is where the "stage setting" ends).

So yes lots more development and stage setting in the books to come, each faction gets a bit of a nod and some text time here but Nagash's plan and growth (and the fly in its ointment) is the key point here.

A review here:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2014/09/review-end-times-nagash.html

And more detailed summary here:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=125323

Edited by valvorik

So apparently some people got this:
http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/nagashs-notebook-notepad-of-damned.html

Mine is due to arrive today (Being N. Ireland couriers take an extra 2 days to reach us(?)... but Royal Mail is fine), I'm really hoping I have one inside. I'm pretty sure I got one of the frist handful of books. My order was processed within 2 minutes of the  preorders going live and dispatch email was shortly after midnight on Friday/Saturday.
It is killing me!