Sign in to follow this  
Coshuda

Will Rebel Generics Be Included in Scum and Villainy?

Hello Community,

I don't know about the rest of you, but the announcements regarding Scum and Villainy swept through my gaming group like a wild fire. Conjecture, questions, oohs and ahhs all around. I was particularly happy to see that I would be getting two z-95s in the set as I haven't purchased all of my desired normal ones as of yet. I have been itching to try out the headhunter swarm, but haven't gotten enough motivation yet to purchase 8 of them. Upon seeing the contents, jubilation ensued and the day was saved. 

That was until I saw the picture of the contents of the new set. Unless I am mistaken, there are no generic rebel pilots or inserts in the box. I get that this is for the new faction, but it seems pretty lame to get 3 *rebel* ships that I cannot use with my rebel fleet. Am I missing something or is this a deliberate move on FFG? If so it seems unnecessary.

This isn't as big a concern for ships that are transferring over, but would be greatly displeasing to not have the new models be "backwards compatible" so to speak. 

What are your thoughts everyone? Is this really a big concern? Did I simply misread things? Do you feel that this needs to be addressed? 

I doubt that you'll see any rebel pilots in the S&V sets. You will some some upgrades you can use for rebel and imperial ships, but no pilots.

The whole point is the Y-Wing and Z-95 aren't really "rebel ships" they're both old ships that both the RA and other people used.

I doubt that you'll see any rebel pilots in the S&V sets. You will some some upgrades you can use for rebel and imperial ships, but no pilots.

The whole point is the Y-Wing and Z-95 aren't really "rebel ships" they're both old ships that both the RA and other people used.

I understand that is the origin of the ships, but the Y-Wing Headhunter were still introduced to the game as rebellion ships. So I will be required to purchase twice twelve ships more than I need if I wanted to field the full compliment of both ships. Sure this is my choice as a player, but how hard could it be to include the generics like they have done with Aces and the X-Wing in the Transport...

but how hard could it be to include the generics like they have done with Aces and the X-Wing in the Transport...

Those were all Rebel packs, so they included Rebel pilots. These are Scum and Villainy packs, so they include pilots for that faction.

The rebels used whatever they could, hence being called rebels. These are the same ships that the rebels field but much better funded, so they're bound to be different. That would be the same in some way of asking for shuttle Tiberium with the lambda.

I mean look at the Y-Wing, well built, durable and packs a solid punch. Its the star wars of a Toyota Hilux! :P

but how hard could it be to include the generics like they have done with Aces and the X-Wing in the Transport...

Those were all Rebel packs, so they included Rebel pilots. These are Scum and Villainy packs, so they include pilots for that faction.

That still doesn't take into account that the models are not exclusive to them. They are not re-releasing the Firespray or Hawk with only the appropriate pilots. They are included in another set. If I buy a Firespray, I will still have all of the Empire items needed. I wouldn't need to buy six Firesprays to play 3 per faction.

So I refer to my above point. How hard can it be to include all appropriate generic pilots for the model in question?

How hard can it be to include all appropriate generic pilots for the model in question?

If you want Rebel versions of those ships you buy the Rebel versions. If you want S&V versions you buy those. These packs are being released to get the 3rd faction up to speed, they're not the Rebel Aces pack for Y's and Z's. So they do not and should not include Rebel pilots in them.

It's not a question of how hard something is, it's a question of why should they? It's not like they'll include S&V pilots in a Rebel Aces pack that has Y-Wings in it, if they were to do such a thing.

You are asking them to put pilots for a different faction in the box. Why do you think they should do that? So you can avoid spending more money on their product?

Just like if you wanted Advanced Senors, you had to buy Shuttles even though you wanted them for B-Wings (prior to E-Wings.)

Edited by VanorDM

For the Z-95s you can use the Imdaar Alpha promo cards that they passed out also if you have spare cards from your current expansions you could just use those with the repaints, say you have 2 Y-wings + a S&V Y-wing, you could run Gold Gold Dutch or what have you

Well, say you bought 2 Z expansions and the scum and villainy pack for two more. You'll have four Z fighters and four dials. You'll also have enough cards from the Z expansions for four pilots, just that you'll only be able to field two of the same type max.

If you have 4 rebels and 4 scum ships you have a full rebel or scum 8 ship swarm from the 2 bottom pilots of each. 4 bandit and 4 tala or the scum varieties of each.

Ninjaed.

Edited by Ryther

That still doesn't take into account that the models are not exclusive to them. They are not re-releasing the Firespray or Hawk with only the appropriate pilots. They are included in another set. If I buy a Firespray, I will still have all of the Empire items needed. I wouldn't need to buy six Firesprays to play 3 per faction.

So I refer to my above point. How hard can it be to include all appropriate generic pilots for the model in question?

No, if I wanted to fly 3 firesprays for the Scum, I have to buy 6 headhunters and 3 y-wings. It's far worse.

Well, say you bought 2 Z expansions and the scum and villainy pack for two more. You'll have four Z fighters and four dials. You'll also have enough cards from the Z expansions for four pilots, just that you'll only be able to field two of the same type max.

I'll bet to play either one you have to have the correct dials, at least in a tourney setting. We'll see though.

No unique pilots for the z-95 is no big deal because the rebels already have two very good unique pilots. It's a much bigger problem for the y-wing because the rebel y-wing needs some serious help (especially an EPT, I really don't understand why FFG didn't give Salm one) and including the y-wing in the S&V expansion makes it a lot less likely that we'll get a similar expansion for rebel y-wings.

I'll bet to play either one you have to have the correct dials, at least in a tourney setting. We'll see though.

I don't see why it would matter, unless the S&V dials are actually different rules-wise instead of just aesthetically. It would be like insisting that every ship has to be used with the focus tokens that came in its box and no others. And it would be almost guaranteed to produce a lot of unhappy customers who don't want to have to buy multiple copies of an expensive box just to have a different picture on the front of their dials.

Since the Scum use their own color-coded dials, it would require extra of the satin cardboard ship tokens, dials and pilot cards, on top of the extra satin cardboard ship tokens and dials they're including for the Scum ships. That's a lot.

Plus it just looks dumb to have use the Scum ships in a Rebel fleet. You'll have to explain why Dutch decided to paint his ship like something out of Mad Max.

2 Most wanted is what you need/want, except if you want to do some weird build regarding HWKs.

With that you would get enough bases for:

4 Y-wings

8 Z's (doing the PS1 -  PS3 thing)

2 Firesprays (they will cost more than 33, so you don't need 3 anyways)

2 HWKs

The rest, you could (and you should) win the rebel version instead (so if you want to use 8 Z's, get 4 from most wanted, 4 from rebel, etc).

I think it is quite well thought. 

You won't get Rebel generics but TBH all you need is the card, the dial and the plate. And a single Z-95 expansion comes with two plates and four cards. The dial is the same.

You can't fly four Bandits with two Z-95s and a Most Wanted but you can 2x Bandit 2x Tala.